Windows 10: Upgrading to SSD in Dell, win8.1 instead of win10 media given

Discus and support Upgrading to SSD in Dell, win8.1 instead of win10 media given in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I'm attempting to upgrade my wife's Dell Inspiron from a HDD to a SSD. I got online and found the service tag and got to the point of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hondajt, Apr 23, 2017.

1. hondajt Win User

Upgrading to SSD in Dell, win8.1 instead of win10 media given

Hello!

I'm attempting to upgrade my wife's Dell Inspiron from a HDD to a SSD. I got online and found the service tag and got to the point of downloading the recovery media from Dell's website, but even though it lists Windows 10 on her Express Tage support page, the recovery media is Windows 8.1 (thats probably what it was when it was made?).

How do I get Windows 10 recovery media from Dell instead of 8.1?

We don't have anything important on the computer that isn't backed up. I have a Windows 10 disk, but it's my OS on my gaming computer and don't want to lose it.

Thoughts?

:)

hondajt, Apr 23, 2017

2. problem to restore win10 from win8.1

I got a dell laptop, when i purchased it...... it came with pre-installed win8.1 then i upgreded it to win10 during free upgrade.

but i got some issue with my laptop i used recovery media usb stick to recover but its reloded win8.1 instead of win10 now how to get win10 back again pls help

**Moved by Moderator to Windows 10. Reason: To add clarity.**

TASHVITVISHAPARMAR, Apr 23, 2017
  3. Re-install Win10

New laptop - one 125 SSD, one 1T HD.

Came with Win8.1 on SSD - upgraded to Win10.

Long story short, I screwed up and ended up with 117GB of my 125 SSD used. I want to wipe that SSD drive and depending upon the size of Win10, reinstall it on either the SSD or the 1T drive.

I do want to keep SSD free for a computer game.

As it is, the SSD is drive C: and lots of programs install stuff there even if you install to drive D:.

So,

1- can I wipe the SSD and re-upgrade to win10 to either the SSD or the 1T drive or will it not pick up that I had win8.1 on this new computer and was upgraded to win10?

I did not have an option when I upgraded to start as win8.1 was already on the SSD.

2- since I will not have internet access on this computer if I wipe the SSD can I use the media install tool I have downloaded from MS and have on a thumb drive to boot from?

3- Will this allow me to get to the internet to download the rest of win10?

Tks for the help - jb

jbrown1000, Apr 23, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Connect both the drives and clone the HDD to the SSD using a program like Macrium Reflect Free or MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

or connect the SSD only, leave the HDD disconnected, then clean install Windows 10 by booting from a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD created with the Media Creation Tool:
    Download Windows 10

If you do the clean install, once the OS is on the SSD and it is booting from the SSD only connected, then you can reconnect the HDD as a second drive if you want to.

NavyLCDR, Apr 23, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    You don't. There is none. Things changed from 8 to 10 and now you do a factory reset using a recovery drive that you can make for yourself (or Windows' 'Reset this PC' function). Make a Recovery Drive, tick the 'include system files' and it will include the OEM customisations too. Here's Dell's instructions...

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...mputer?lang=EN

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    And the recovery drive created with @Bree's method will also contain any hardware drivers specific to that computer that might be needed.

NavyLCDR, Apr 23, 2017
  7. hondajt Win User
    When I use that, is only provides Windows 81. recovery media, not windows 10.

hondajt, Apr 27, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

That doesn't make sense. A Windows 10 recovery drive does not make 8.1 media. Are you sure you are running windows 10 and using the correct steps to create a recovery drive? This tutorial shows you how...
    Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

9. hondajt Win User
    The computer originally must have come with 8.1, and feels website says it only provides the original os. Is there a way to do it without providing the dell service code?

hondajt, Apr 27, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is there a way to do what without providing the dell service code?

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading to SSD in Dell, win8.1 instead of win10 media given - Similar Threads - Upgrading SSD Dell

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Dell SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell SSD upgrade: Hi all, Looking for some advice on whether I can upgrade a laptop to use a TeamGroup GX2 SATA 6 Gb/s 512GB 2.5"drive. This drive was originally installed this drive in my ASUS N61JQ Laptop. I painstakingly installed everything, and a while later the laptop died. I've put the...
  5. Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10

Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10: Originally, I purchased Windows 8 and installed it on my Mac with Parallels. After installing, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to remove Windows from Parallels and reinstall it using BootCamp. How can I do this? I do not have Windows 10 on disc or...
  6. Fault_in_nonpaged_area(iaStorAV.sys) error after accidently starting WIN8 instead of Win10

Fault_in_nonpaged_area(iaStorAV.sys) error after accidently starting WIN8 instead of Win10: I had upgraded from WIN 8 to 10 and the boot screen showed option to start WIN10 or WIN8. I was looking for a license key on a program i had installed on WIN 8 and figured both OS were active. When I clicked on WIN8 it rebooted and said restoring your windows to WIN8. Because...
  7. Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions

Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions: Hi, I'm currently having a weird activation problem with Windows 10, and I was considering reverting to Windows 8 and start the process again to see if that would fix things. I tried to use the 'revert to previous build' but it said it couldn't locate the required files or...
  8. Retail Win8 upgraded to Win10: Use the license on a new machine in the

Retail Win8 upgraded to Win10: Use the license on a new machine in the: I'm wondering how to use my migrated Win8 Retail license on my next machine. It will be a few years from now and well past the free upgrade offer. I've used Showkey and I'm not sure if what it returns will be usable. If memory serves me (don't trust it myself) I think it's...
  9. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.: "Reset This PC" Confusion Firstly it seems MS have gotten-rid of the 'Refresh This PC' terminology to describe the distinction between keeping files but keeping settings/apps intact, or removing both files and apps/settings (the old Reset This PC). After you make this first...
  10. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...