Windows 10: Upgrading to Windows 10 forced me to reset my computer to factory

Discus and support Upgrading to Windows 10 forced me to reset my computer to factory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A while back i upgraded to windows 10, everything was going good, i enjoyed many of its features but one day after a update, my screen was black except... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Right0usman, May 2, 2016.

1. Upgrading to Windows 10 forced me to reset my computer to factory

A while back i upgraded to windows 10, everything was going good, i enjoyed many of its features but one day after a update, my screen was black except for my mouse. I tried everything, used my phone to go online and see if there was a solution and nothing was working no matter what i tried. After almost 3 days or trying to fix it, i came to the conclusion there was no fixing it as i could not click on anything or see what i was doing. there was no way to change the graphics setting that had come with the update.

Basically what happened was, the windows 10 update forced my computer to try and use a graphics setting on the motherboard, rather than my graphics card. There was no way to not allow this to happen as it was just a normal update, it never said anything about changing my graphics settings but it did so anyway. I'm currently considering upgrading again in hopes that this issue has been fixed and wont happen again but i'm very worried it will. I really don't want to have to reinstall windows and re download and install all my programs again.

Can somebody give me any idea if something like this has happened to them and if they know of a way to prevent it from happening? I'm using Windows 8.1 right now and honestly I kinda want to use windows 10 again.. but i just don't want to risk having that happen again.

:)

Right0usman, May 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 free upgrade

I'm on windows 10. I have a problem with my PC that is forcing me to factory reset to windows 8.1. If I go back to 8.1, will Microsoft allow me a free upgrade to windows 10 now?

DevaRamaswamy, May 2, 2016
  3. LKKC62 Win User
    I may want to reset my computer to factory reset, however....i do not have dvd or cd's

2016 windows 10 automatically installed. the hp pavilion slimline had win 7 when purchased. I want to do a reset to factory, will this reset the computer back to what was on it when purchased ie; software etc.?

also I do not have the cd/dvd's that came with the computer at purchase and I've tried to load on a usb and dvd the program software suggestion here in the community.

I also was having a lot of mouse and keyboard issues running the reset. I had to buy a wired keyboard and mouse. they didn't work until I decided to do f12 system restore.

any advise is welcome.

many thanks.

lc

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

LKKC62, May 2, 2016
  4. gulliwog Win User

Upgrading to Windows 10 forced me to reset my computer to factory

Normally you can choose to disable integrated graphics in the BIOS, which you should still be able to see. I am not enough of an expert on Windows 10 but normally the choice of which GPU to use is a BIOS setting, not a Windows setting. Personally I had some problems with Windows 10 causing a conflict which caused my BIOS to reset itself to default, and I am wondering if that isn't the problem you are having.

Are you saying that you were unable to see the POST screens or anything when the computer was booting up? If you can see POST you can enter BIOS and you can turn off Integrated graphics.

gulliwog, May 2, 2016
  5. I was able to see the bios and get into that on start up. But the sign in screen and everything afterward was black. I'm not a computer expert, lol. So all i was able to do while in the bios was delete the data on my computer and restart it with my windows 8 cd. What are the steps to disable that feature you mentioned?

Right0usman, May 2, 2016
  6. MrWhoopee Win User
  7. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, May 2, 2016
  8. Upgrading to Windows 10 forced me to reset my computer to factory

Alright, well i updated, and when i follow the instructions listed in that guide. Well.. when i open advanced system settings to then open device installation services, there is no option like the one listed on the picture on the guide. My only option is to click no. It asks me Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices? Again only 2 options.. Yes or no. lol. Windows 10 IS TO STREAMLINED. I really wish more options were readily available. I might not be a computer wiz but even I have had to dive into menus and settings before, on windows 10 it all feels like they do not want you poking around at all.

Right0usman, May 4, 2016
  9. RWOne Win User
    RWOne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrading to Windows 10 forced me to reset my computer to factory

1. Upgrading to Windows 10 forced me to reset my computer to factory - Similar Threads - Upgrading forced reset

2. my computer will not update or will it let me do a factory reset.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my computer will not update or will it let me do a factory reset.: my computer isn't updating at all. Plus, I can't get it to do the factory reset? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-will-not-update-or-will-it-let-me-do-a/040003f2-1c14-42d6-ab9e-6d2437309100
  3. my computer will not update or will it let me do a factory reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer will not update or will it let me do a factory reset.: my computer isn't updating at all. Plus, I can't get it to do the factory reset? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-will-not-update-or-will-it-let-me-do-a/040003f2-1c14-42d6-ab9e-6d2437309100
  4. my computer will not update or will it let me do a factory reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows forcing me to reset my pin but won’t let me reset it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows forcing me to reset my pin but won’t let me reset it: My laptop must’ve updated or restarted because when I opened it after it being away a couple of hours I was prompted to enter my bitlocker key. I did and was eventually brought to the typical sign in screen. It told me to give my finger print. I did. Then it told me it...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 10 after factory reset

Upgrading to Windows 10 after factory reset: Hi, My hp laptop came with windows 8.1 pre-installed. I updated to windows 10 when the offer was available. As my system's usage of ram, disk and cpu are high even on idle, I want to do a factory reset. If I do the factory reset my pc will go back to windows 8.1. Would I be...
  7. Upgrade to windows 10 after factory reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to windows 10 after factory reset: Hi guys, my laptop have an issue where i need to reset it. It was originally windows 8.1. After i reset my laptop, can i upgrade it back to windows 10? submitted by /u/darkflash931 [link] [comments]...
  8. upgrading to windows 10 after factory reset

upgrading to windows 10 after factory reset: Hi I upgraded for free from windows 7 to windows 10 home a few years back. I just had to reset my computer to factory settings, and it seems it is stuck on windows 7 service pack 1. How do I get windows 10 ?...
  9. My Windows 10 Computer won't factory reset

My Windows 10 Computer won't factory reset: I have tried everything to clean sweep my computer but I can not figure it out. Whenever I try to reset it says undoing changes and then says there was a problem resetting your pc, no changes were made. If anybody knows how to fix this please respond....
  10. Factory Reset After Windows 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Factory Reset After Windows 10 Upgrade: I have a small laptop running Windows 8 that I'd like to give to a friend after I install Windows 10. If I do a factory reset to remove all my stuff, will it retain Windows 10 or will it revert back to 8? 18379