Windows 10: Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

Discus and support Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A friend of mine currently has Windows 7 installed and wants to get a new hard drive and then upgrade to Windows 10. Whats the current way to do this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by swarfega, Aug 10, 2016.

1. swarfega Win User

Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

A friend of mine currently has Windows 7 installed and wants to get a new hard drive and then upgrade to Windows 10. Whats the current way to do this?

:)

swarfega, Aug 10, 2016
  2. LINEORTWO Win User

Upgrading PC with new hard drive to WIndows 10

Sachin, thank you for the information. I've installed the new SDD starting from scratch and installed Windows 10 (not activated). I've downloaded both the WIN10 1511 and techbench. I've run the program per the instructions; however, my system is still
    not activated with a key.

I've ran through the process several times still getting the same error each time. Am I missing something here? I've attached the error that I get each time that I run through the process.

Would you please help so that I can get my system activated? Kind regards,

Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive [​IMG]

LINEORTWO, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Upgrading PC with new hard drive to WIndows 10

Hello,

I realize that you have replaced the hard drive and trying to install the Windows 10 on it. We will help you.

If you have not upgraded to Windows 10 and just had reserved the Windows 10, now also directly you may upgrade to Windows 10.

You can try to do a InPlace upgrade using ISO's to November 1511 upgrade.

Media creation Tool and Techbench are both updated with Version 1511.

The Techbench provides ISO's, so does the media creation Tool.

You have both of the options, try anyone of these.

Techbench: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Or Media Creation Tool:

Media creation Tool: Download Windows 10

Note: The size of the update through Windows update and ISO are nearly the same.

Hope this information helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

If your friend hasnt installed win 10 even once, He may have to pay for it.. *Wink
    Before changing the HDD, create a bootable disk or USB using following tool.,.
    Windows 10

Now change HDD, Change Boot order in BIOS and install... windows 10.
    To get the most optimum performance I would recommend using UEFI with secure boot off.

manish9009, Aug 10, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    What if they upgraded to 10 before changing the drive. I assume they'd need a new lisence.

swarfega, Aug 10, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    The free upgrade is nominally over. However, see:

http://betanews.com/2016/07/29/get-w...-the-deadline/

There are some ethical issues, but if it was me, I think that my conscience could bear them.

Suggested path: upgrade existing Windows 7. Then, either clone the existing installation to the new HD, or do a clean install on the new HD. (In the latter case, it should activate due to the famous "digital entitlement".)

bobkn, Aug 10, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    I would just get a copy of the latest version and clean install to the new HDD, using the W7 key to try to activate. Scuttlebutt is, the activation servers have not been turned off yet. Can't hurt to try.
    Windows 10 ISO

simrick, Aug 10, 2016
  8. Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

The license is not tied to the hard drive. So, if Windows 10 was installed an activated already, then swap the drive and a clean install of Windows 10 will activate automatically. If he never had Windows 10 activated on that system, I'd go through the same process, but then you'll have to type in his Windows 7 key to activate. It is currently still working, but no one knows for how long, so I wouldn't wait much more.

DeaconFrost, Aug 10, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    See my post above at https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...dows-10-a.html about copying the current installation to the new drive. Then you can try the free upgrade to Windows 10 if you are entitled under the new rules.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

1. Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Upgrading Hard Drive

2. Windows 10 to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 to new hard drive: Looking to move my C drive and my copy of windows 10 to a new hard drive. How can I do this? Someone recommend just making a clone? Can I do that with windows without messing anything up?...
  3. Windows 10 to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 to new hard drive: Looking to move my C drive and my copy of windows 10 to a new hard drive. How can I do this? Someone recommend just making a clone? Can I do that with windows without messing anything up?...
  4. Windows 10 to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Sharing a hard drive for Windows 10 Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a hard drive for Windows 10 Upgrade?: Hello, Following problem, can I share my SSD? I only have one to transfer Windows to the new PC but it has all my data from the old PC on it. The NVme SSD is not compatible with the old PC. Is there any way I can share the SSD? Festplatte für Windows 10 Upgrade teilen?
  6. Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10: Hello, I replaced an old HDD drive with SSD drive. I had a Windows 7 home edition on old hard disk. Now I am trying to re-use the same product key on Windows 10 installed fresh on new SSD. It is not allowing me to enter. Because it has different format and number of...
  7. Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???: I am helping my friend, who’s motherboard has died. What do I have to do to move his hard drive w/ Windows 10 Pro 1909 v18363.815, to a new motherboard & processer? The core is from: Intel i5 4690 to i7 9700 Can I use his current installed windows in new hardware???...
  8. Windows 10 on new hard drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 on new hard drive.: I have recently acquired an HP Notebook 17-p121wm but it has a bad hard drive. I can't log in to the computer. If I replace the hard drive will they come with windows 10 already on it? Is it stored somewhere else on the laptop? Or am I going to have to purchase windows 10?...
  9. New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade

New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade: I have a Lenovo G580 laptop that came with Windows 8 originally installed. After the Windows 10 release, I upgraded. The hard drive has been slowing down, so decided to replace with a SSHD. Before doing that, I did the Windows 10,1903 update, then I created a Windows...
  10. upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives

upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives: i know its been asked before, but most of the related posts on the subject are almost 2 years old - millenia in computing terms so im looking to upgrade to windows 10 from 7 - instigated by experiencing an oculus VR headset and touch controllers over the weekend and reading...