Windows 10: Upgrading Toshiba Win7 laptop to Win 10 via clean install on new SSD

Discus and support Upgrading Toshiba Win7 laptop to Win 10 via clean install on new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I went through quite a few upgrades when Windows 10 arrived but have taken a break and don't feel up to speed on what has changed regarding upgrading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BJB, Apr 3, 2016.

1. BJB
    BJB Win User

Upgrading Toshiba Win7 laptop to Win 10 via clean install on new SSD

I went through quite a few upgrades when Windows 10 arrived but have taken a break and don't feel up to speed on what has changed regarding upgrading with a "clean install". I am familiar with the Media Creation tool but used that for upgrades, and have a question on the product key and activation.

So I have a Toshiba laptop C655-S5312 as-shipped with a mechanical drive running Windows 7. I would like to replace the mechanical hard drive with an SSD and clean install windows 10. I know in the past you had to upgrade the original OS and hard drive first to 10 and then put in the new drive.

Am I correct that now I no longer need to do that? And if so, what is the correct process? If I grab the product key for Windows 7 as-shipped and then install windows 10 (will the media creation tool work or will I need a full windows 10 image?) can I then just input the windows 7 key?

I have seen some conflicting info on this (probably because things have changed since the release) although I believe it is better than when I went through this a few times right at the launch.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks,

:)

2. Windows 10 upgrade and clean install in new SSD

I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in similar threads.

I have a laptop with a Windows 8.1 installed in a HDD. I have not yet upgraded to Win10 but I have reserved already.

I want to do a clean install of Win10 on a new SSD I'm buying and I'm worried that if I upgrade to Win10 on my current drive then do a clean install on the SSD, because of the hardware change (HDD to SSD) the Win10 product key will become invalid.

What should I do?

- Upgrade to Win 10 on my current HDD then swap the SSD and do a clean install

- Clone my current hard drive do the SSD then do the upgrade

Note: The OS (Win7) installation came with the laptop

Note 2: I don't need to keep my files

JoelOliveiraPT, Apr 3, 2016
  3. AngusOK Win User
    Fresh SSD

I have Win7 Pro and am looking to upgrade to win 10 pro via the free update client. however I have a 1TB SSD that I intend to install it on. How do I relocate the free win 10 pro license to the ssd for a fresh install?

AngusOK, Apr 3, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    I am reading between the lines here, are you saying that you have had Windows 10 on this machine already, as an upgrade - is that correct? Was it activated at that time? If so, it will have digital entitlement, and should activate OK.

If Windows 10 is already running on the hard disk, clone to SSD, install the SSD, make sure all works well, and make sure it is fully updated and go to *

If not, have you had confirmation that Windows 10 will run on your Satellite C655-S5312, as in the following Toshiba forum thread? :

Solved: Windows 10 "Check your PC" - TOSHIBA FORUMS

It is likely your processor which has integrated Intel HD graphics, will not be fully supported with drivers from Intel, and may experience problems with clean installation.

I would recommend that you clone your Windows 7 installation to the SSD, put aside the old hard drive safely, and once Windows 7 is updated and working well from the SSD, image it again, and then attempt an upgrade to Windows 10.

Working with the SSD, rather than the HD ensures that all the following steps will proceed with the best speed possible.

If the upgrade succeeds, gaining digital entitlement for the laptop, test it out for a while, * and if confident, back it up, and back up the drivers separately, and only then try the clean install, which may fail due to driver problems, or hopefully will run just fine, or will run on Windows generic drivers but require the driver backup you made.

Fafhrd, Apr 3, 2016
  6. BJB
    BJB Win User
    Sorry for the confusion....my earlier Windows 10 upgrades were with other systems. I just took a "tech break". I was hoping to get this basic laptop on Windows 10 just for very basic work. However there is a lot of junk on there so I wanted to do a clean install. I know the old drill of upgrading to 10 on the old hard drive first. Was just hoping I would not have to go that route.

I will have to do a more deep dive on compatibility. I had upgraded other i3 machines with integrated graphics so had not given it a second thought. Don't care if all the to shiva software runs...but yeah, need the video drivers.

7. Fafhrd Win User
    Tnx for clarification, best of luck!

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Here's the way I see it. You capture the genuineticket.xml file from the old HDD. You replace the old HDD with the new SSD. You do a clean install of Windows 10 to the SSD and use the genuineticket.xml file to activate it.

If you find drivers for everything and it all works you're good to go, right?

If it fails miserably, then what have you lost? Nothing but time. You pop the old HDD back in and move on to Plan B.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2016
  9. BJB
    BJB Win User
    Navylcdr,
    Thanks, that makes perfect sense! Will read up on that genuine ticket method. The link implied I could also use the Windows 7 key to validate Windows 10?

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading Toshiba Win7 laptop to Win 10 via clean install on new SSD - Similar Threads - Upgrading Toshiba Win7

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. Win 10 clean install on SSD

Win 10 clean install on SSD: I’m trying to install Win 10 Pro on a new SSD. I’m using a bootable USB created with the latest Rufus utility. I’ve gotten to several places in the install screen the everything goes black. So far, as far as the windows repair facility then stalled because it says I’m not an...
  4. New SSD, Attempting new clean install via usb NO GO

New SSD, Attempting new clean install via usb NO GO: Embarrassed to say I have been working on this problem for 6 weeks!! I need help please.I was on windows 8.1 with normal hard drive Dell Inspiron 3847, 16 gb memory and all FINE, Then Chrome started getting very slow. I uninstalled Chrome and put it back in, things would work...
  5. Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions

Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions: Hi, I had a question for the experts here prior to doing a Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD. Background – My 7-year-old PC came with pre-installed Win 7 Home Basic that I upgraded to Win 10 during the free offer. I used Windows 10 for a couple months before the power...
  6. Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade

Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade: I have reserved my copy of Win 10 (upgrade from Win7 Pro 32bit retail) , but i plan to fit a SSD and instill the 64bit version of Win 10. does windows 10 need to be upgrade installed first so Win 10 recognizes my hardware or can i download the ISO and do a clean install...
  7. New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit

New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit: Hi Everybody, In about 2-3 weeks I will get a new SSD Samsung 850 EVO Basic MZ-75E2T0 2TB to replace my too small SSD of the same brand. I am running Win 10 Pro 64-bit fully licensed and I have all the keys like Product ID, Installed Key, Original Key, Original Edition...
  8. Clean install of 10 on new SSD

Clean install of 10 on new SSD: I am about to get a new 240Gb SSD and have been advised to clean install Windows 10 on it. This SSD will replace a SATA HDD in my existing computer running Windows 8.1. I know that I qualify for the free upgrade; I have the "Get 10" icon on my task bar. My first question...
  9. How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade?

How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade?: I think it best to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my computer because of previous problems with a Win XP to 7 upgrade and the problems with this Win 7 to Win10 upgrade. Blinking screen, no sound, "Critical Error" and Start Menu not working, on this Win7 > Win10 upgrade....
  10. Fresh Clean install, or Via Cloning/Imaging? to migrate Win 10 to SSD?

Fresh Clean install, or Via Cloning/Imaging? to migrate Win 10 to SSD?: First sorry for my poor english. here's a problem: My Original OS is come from Win 7 Professional 64 bit (from my Academic/MSDNAA ), and then I successfully upgrade it into Win 10 Pro 64bit (fully activated). Have been use that fully activated OS on my machine for years...