Windows 10: Upgrading w/personal files only?

Discus and support Upgrading w/personal files only? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I wanna upgrade my Windows 7 PC directly using the Media Creation Tool, keeping the personal files only. Is it possible to specify which folders to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Double, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Double Win User

Upgrading w/personal files only?

Hi, I wanna upgrade my Windows 7 PC directly using the Media Creation Tool, keeping the personal files only. Is it possible to specify which folders to keep?

At minimum, I would like to remove the 'AppData' folder to remove old cache and program files, but I'm still not sure if this is a good idea. The only folder I want to keep intact is my very large 'Dropbox' folder.

I considered choosing the "Nothing" option, except I don't want to re-download my entire Dropbox and put unnecessary stress on this 7yr old hard drive.

:)

Double, Sep 15, 2015
  2. T. Frost Win User

Remote Assistance for Windows 10

I tried all the available contact options too, and none of them worked. I only tried on one Windows 10 machine.

Yes, the MS argument for hiding it must be 'it doesn't work, let's hide it and hope users don't notice we've goofed yet again'.

Thankfully, we only upgraded one machine to W.10; the one with W.8.1, which was even more horrible than W.10.

I needed Remote Assistance because when a relative upgraded to W.10, it made all his personal folders read/only (another W.10 bug), so he couldn't save his files after editing them. One bug led me to discover another.

I'll keep the other machines on W.7, as W.10 looks as if it may be another Vista-style disaster, even though on W.7, I'm told I'm not authorised to delete my own folders - if it's a folder structure, I need to delete each layer of folders from the bottom
    up but am not allowed to delete it all in one go. And W.7 doesn't keep the Explorer view of files updated, so deleted files may still be visible, and new files not shown - unless one refreshes with F5.

For some reason I don't understand, MS seems to be trying to dismantle Windows altogether.

T. Frost, Sep 15, 2015
  3. 7thSense Win User
    will omnia w will get skype intregated update and when?

Skype integration (into Windows Phone OS) is coming in Windows Phone 8 at the end of the year. No official statement has been made about upgradability yet though. Personally I would be very surprised if an upgrade path isn't supplied (especially for second
    generation phones such as Omnia W). You can download the Skype app for the Omnia W today though..

7thSense, Sep 15, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

I'm afraid it's all or nothing but maybe you can back that folder up and than just return it in proper place.

CountMike, Sep 15, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I think it's even worse than that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you want the Windows 10 upgrade to activate, you have to do a full upgrade, keeping everything.

My suggestion is to image the drive, remove everything that you don't want to be in the Win10 installation, and then run the upgrade.

If you're running a 7 year old spinner, your PC may be living on borrowed time. Have you considered replacing it? The expense would be modest, and the drive manufacturers usually make drive cloning software available for free. It may be more awkward in a laptop, I admit.

bobkn, Sep 15, 2015
  6. You are hereby corrected. It is an upgrade and you are offered the option to keep your apps, files, and settings, or just your files, or nothing. Only if you do a clean install later do you not have the choice of what to keep. But the first installation is always an upgrade (except for retail copies of Windows 10) so you always get the choice.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 15, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    I was aware of the choice.

The first time I ran the upgrade, I chose to keep nothing. (It was an upgrade: I mounted the ISO and ran it from within Windows 8.1)

It went OK, but the result didn't activate.

Comments?

bobkn, Sep 15, 2015
  8. Upgrading w/personal files only?

Only that the "What do you want to keep" option wouldn't affect activation. You can use phone activation by typing "slui 4" in a command prompt. Tha't more direct than using the Contact Support app on the Start Menu.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading w/personal files only? - Similar Threads - Upgrading personal files

2. Headline - Personal in W Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headline - Personal in W Explorer: Strictly out of curiosity, why does Windows Explorer list the OneDrive - Personal branch as HEADLINE - Personal in Windows 11 Pro updated? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headline-personal-in-w-explorer/ce5dd56d-6cc3-4fed-a7e2-0540acdfe76a
  3. Headline - Personal in W Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headline - Personal in W Explorer: Strictly out of curiosity, why does Windows Explorer list the OneDrive - Personal branch as HEADLINE - Personal in Windows 11 Pro updated? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headline-personal-in-w-explorer/ce5dd56d-6cc3-4fed-a7e2-0540acdfe76a
  4. "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...: I went through the installer process for Windows 11 as usual with no issues currently on Win 10 19043.1165. However, when it reaches the Windows 11 Setup process on the "Choose What to Keep" screen, the "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options are...
  5. "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...: I went through the installer process for Windows 11 as usual with no issues currently on Win 10 19043.1165. However, when it reaches the Windows 11 Setup process on the "Choose What to Keep" screen, the "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options are...
  6. "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Upgrade w 7 to W 10

Upgrade w 7 to W 10: Hello, Cannot upgrade w 7 to w 10 getrs locked to infinite 0 does not move even after severasl hours akso try differently by placing the ESO on the desktop and uploading after, still the same result How can this work normally ? Please hlep Thank you...
  8. Keep Personal Files Only; what will be kep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keep Personal Files Only; what will be kep?: Hello guys, I am trying to install Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 machine. But due to the laptop being bought in Japan back when I was there, it gives an error stating I cannot keep files app etc. due to different language and it only gives me the option of Keep Personal Files...
  9. Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1

Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1: I have a silly problem. I run W 8 on my desktop computer but have never been able to upgrade to W 8.1 as I have never been able to open Windows Store, despite multiple solutions none of which have worked. The only solution of reinstalling W 8 has not appealed! I am happy with...
  10. Keep personal files only

Keep personal files only: Hello, Recently i tried downloading windows 10 when 2 options popped up 1. keep personal files only, and 2. is nothing. well i wanna choose the keep personal files only. but i wanna know if it will delete all of my games, ty for the ones who help. *Cool 30146