Windows 10: Upgrading WAU'ed Win7 Pro System

Discus and support Upgrading WAU'ed Win7 Pro System in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm working on my plan to move to Windows 10 on the machine listed in my system specs by going through the upgrade process and then doing a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by yimitz, May 22, 2016.

1. yimitz Win User

Upgrading WAU'ed Win7 Pro System

I'm working on my plan to move to Windows 10 on the machine listed in my system specs by going through the upgrade process and then doing a clean install sometime later.

My question: This PC came with Win7 Home Premium x64, and a couple of years back I upgraded it to Pro using a Windows Anytime Upgrade key. Will the upgrade process leave me with Win 10 Pro, or something less? I would imagine I'll wind up with Pro but you know what they say about "assume." *Wink

:)

yimitz, May 22, 2016

2. Windows 10

I upgraded several systems from Win7 Pro to Win10. If a hard drive fails after July 29, 2016 and I have to reinstall a system, will my upgrade disk work?

GregDerbes, May 22, 2016
  3. kjl1956 Win User
    upgrade from win10 home to pro using a win8 product key

I understand the upgrade path from retail or OEM .

What I want to do is use the free upgrade from win7 home

OEM licenses to windows 10 home licenses first.

Then upgrade the windows 10 home OEM version to windows 10

pro version; with the last step to win8.0 pro retail key

On the last step above, will the licenses stay on a OEM licenses or change to retail key ????

or is this not even achievable unless I do the install buy media, usb or dvd.

If that is the case than doing the same method from win7 to win8.0 pro would be a more direct route; but the issue is still if I can upgrade win 7 home OEM to win 8.0 pro with a retail

key??????

If that is the case neither route will get the end results win7 home to win 10 pro; unless at one time I do the upgrade with media, usb or dvd, wiping what ever previous operating system was installed before that one.

Win7 home to win10 home or win8.0 pro; then upgrade to win10 pro with a mix of OEM and retail keys.

Thanks

kjl1956, May 22, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

The only difference between W7 Home and Pro was the key used when it unlocked Pro functions as you have probably seen when you upgraded so it would stand to reason you'll get 10 Pro after upgrading.

CountMike, May 23, 2016
  5. yimitz Win User
    I finally upgraded yesterday and the machine did wind up with Pro as surmised. Only slowdown was I managed to do this on Patch Tuesday and so it updated right after the first clean boot. *Smile

yimitz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading WAU'ed Win7 Pro System - Similar Threads - Upgrading WAU'ed Win7

2. win7 to win11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win7 to win11 upgrade: hi, I'm looking for a program that will test compatibly of hardware.the one MS has only test win10 to win11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-to-win11-upgrade/f69ee1e5-8bc2-49f6-9b3e-4e54e01a6b1a
  3. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails: Hi,I have a Dell Precision T3600 workstation running Win7 Pro. I bought a copy of Win10 Professional from the Microsoft store. But the update fails with error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017I have removed unnecessary software. I have checked that all my drivers are up to date in...
  4. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails: Hi,I have a Dell Precision T3600 workstation running Win7 Pro. I bought a copy of Win10 Professional from the Microsoft store. But the update fails with error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017I have removed unnecessary software. I have checked that all my drivers are up to date in...
  5. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Upgrade to Pro with old Win7 OA key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to Pro with old Win7 OA key: I have an old ThinkPad with a "Windows 7 Pro OA for Lenovo" sticker. The ThinkPad does not use Windows at the time. (It has no HDD/SSD at all at the moment) I also bought an Acer laptop with Windows 10 Home yesterday. They had neither Pro devices for 800€ or less nor Licences...
  7. Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro Upgrade stuck

Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro Upgrade stuck: Hi - Trying to update Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro - using a full retail USB version of Win 10. Follow the instructions to boot from USB - typed in the Windows Key supplied - Chose the Upgrade keeping exisiting files option. Then get a message stating that update cannot be...
  8. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  9. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  10. free upgrade to win10 from oem win7 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    free upgrade to win10 from oem win7 pro: i have another laptop with pre-installed of win7 pro. its oem license and activated. i can download win10 media creation tools from microsoft website and installed it into that laptop and that win10 shows it is activated. my question is do i need to purchase license for win10...