Windows 10: Upgrading Win 7 that is freshly installed on an external USB 2.0 HDD

Discus and support Upgrading Win 7 that is freshly installed on an external USB 2.0 HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro (x64) onto an external hard drive (connected via USB 2.0). (I used a freeware program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sarge117, Mar 26, 2016.

1. sarge117 Win User

Upgrading Win 7 that is freshly installed on an external USB 2.0 HDD

Hello,

I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro (x64) onto an external hard drive (connected via USB 2.0). (I used a freeware program called WinToUSB to achieve this.) It now exists alongside my normal Windows 7 installation (which is on an internal SSD). My goal is to upgrade the external copy to Windows 10 without having it alter the way my PC boots normally when the external HDD is powered off.

Currently, I can switch between the two copies of Windows 7 by choosing the boot device from my mobo or just by turning on the PC with one of the drives disconnected. My hope is to keep it this way (in a "kind of, but not really, dual-booting" scenario).

My plan is to run the Windows 10 upgrade on the external Windows 7 while my internal SSD is unplugged from the mobo (an Asus "P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD").

Will this work as I expect it to? My hope is that there will be little to no evidence of Windows 10's existence when I turn my PC on while the external drive is disconnected (or powered off). Will Windows 10 affect my mobo's UEFI BIOS or anything like that? Basically, my fear is that Windows 10 will somehow insert itself into the mobo or somehow lock me out of booting normally from my SSD. (All I really want to do is test out Windows 10 for a while before I upgrade my normal Windows 7 install.)

Thanks!

:)

sarge117, Mar 26, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

DVD/CD player installed no longer displayed in Device Manager or desktop.

Hi,

It's very strange that the internal player will work with everything except DVD Movies...

I wasn't understanding that clearly... That is hard to determine if it is actually a hardware problem, or Windows related... It could be that the motherboard power supply for the internal drive is insufficient..

If it were the red SATA cable itself, you would also have problems with Software DVDs..

I don't know what the deal is with your new external drive, but I was afraid that might happen... I doubt that the problem is the USB 2.0 power, but maybe...

There have been a LOT of people having trouble powering external drives from a USB 2.0 port... So much so that some USB 2.0 powered devices actually use TWO USB 2.0 ports... Even tiny little portable USB HDDs...

One thing you might do if so inclined, would be to wipe your OS hard drive and do a clean install of Win 10 as mentioned...

But the fact that this started on Win 7 makes me wonder how that will work...

It's possible that something got installed while Win 7 was installed that got transferred to Win 10...

BTW... I would guess that the software for the new external drive is simply some type of DVD\Video\Burning type software like NERO or CyberLink... There is really nothing required in the way of software for it to function...

Does it recognize ANY type of Disk... I'm wondering if it may be defective... It happens sometimes..

slance310, Mar 26, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    Lexmark printer/scanner x1240 won't work on Windows 10

Hi,

Is your Win 10 an upgrade of Win 7 or 8 ?

Has the printer been installed on this machine previously ?

Is this a USB 2.0 connected printer ?

slance310, Mar 26, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you have two separate licenses for Windows 7?

NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2016
  5. sarge117 Win User
    Yes. Both copies are unique, activated, copies of Windows 7. (My laptop died on me recently and I was able to use the Windows 7 Pro key I had on there on this latest install.)

sarge117, Mar 27, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't know if Windows 10 will upgrade on a removable drive. What I would do is copy the Windows 10 ISO file to the removable drive. As you said, disconnect the SSD and boot into Windows 7 on the removable drive, mount the ISO file with a program such as UltraISO and run setup.exe from the mounted virtual drive. If it upgrades, it won't do anything to the Windows 7 on the SSD or the UEFI bios.

My bet is, though, that you are going to get an error in Windows 10 that says it can't upgrade on a removable drive.

NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2016
  7. sarge117 Win User
    Okay, thanks for the info. I'll give it shot.

sarge117, Mar 27, 2016
  8. sarge117 Win User

Ran the setup from a mounted ISO as you suggested and it worked very well! Windows 10 is running perfectly (albeit a bit slowly given the USB 2.0 connection) from the external HDD. Thanks for the help.

Also maybe worth nothing: It seems that Windows 10 defaulted to zero paging file (maybe since it detected a low hard drive speed). Is it recommended to keep it this way?

sarge117, Mar 28, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Depends on how much RAM you have. I have 32 GB and no paging file. You can always let it run for a while, if you don't do absolutely critical work, and see if you get any out of memory errors. Turn on a paging file if you do.

NavyLCDR, Mar 28, 2016
  10. mike s Win User
    Very surprised to hear this! In effect you have created a Win10 ToGo upgrade install from Win7 ToGo (before that term was invented).

In other threads I have been asking about how to update a Win10 RTM ToGo install up to TH2 1511 using an in-place upgrade install (i.e. what you just did, except you started from Win7 rather than Win10 RTM). It always fails; I have tried everything I can think of, and in the end it all boils down to the same error message: "You Can't Install Windows To a USB Drive Using Setup".

mike s, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading Win 7 that is freshly installed on an external USB 2.0 HDD - Similar Threads - Upgrading freshly installed

2. Clean instal Win !0 with USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean instal Win !0 with USB: I have Win 10 64 bit downloaded onto a USB flash drive in order to do a clean install on my SSD drive...is installing it through BIOS any advantage than simply going through system recovery and using this method (remove everything install through USB) which method is better...
  3. Fresh install on new hdd.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install on new hdd.: power went down on my old laptop with new hdd while in middle of windows10 install, tried to start install after sorting out power supply but it gets to second window and get message about restart and system exception not handled. What can i do to rectify the problem?...
  4. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  5. Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD

Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD: Hello, I try to restore a windows 7 image from an external HDD. The image was made just before migrating to W10. However, because the update deinstalled all programms I have to go back to W7 temporary to recover my Key for Office. allthough MS probably want me to buy a...
  6. Upgrading Win 7

Upgrading Win 7: I am currently using Win 7 Pro and Office 2002. I have written a number of macros for Word 2002 such as one that takes names from the database I have written and lays them out on pages on a 4 x 7 format that will print on to Multi-purpose labels which can them be stuck on...
  7. failing HDD with Win10 on it upgraded from Win 7

failing HDD with Win10 on it upgraded from Win 7: HP PC originally with Window 7, upgraded to Windows 10 during free upgrade period. HDD is failing (HP error BIOHD-8) so need to replace HDD. How can I get legal copy of Windows 10 on new HDD? Thanks in advance....
  8. fresh install with new HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    fresh install with new HDD: I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 then did a clean install..... need ed to change the laptop HDD will I be able to do a clean install and achieve activation or is there a procedure to follow thanks 37080
  9. BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install: This is on an old eMachines M6805 laptop that originally came with XP 32-bit. I put a fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit on it which ran fine. I then upgraded that to Windows 10 32-bit. The first time it booted up I was able to log in but got a BSOD shortly thereafter. Ever...
  10. Downgrade Win 10 to Win 7 Fresh (Via USB) to much problem

Downgrade Win 10 to Win 7 Fresh (Via USB) to much problem: Hello everyone. i want to Downgrade to Win 7. i cannot downgrade direct from Control Panel because i have installed Fresh Win 10. My DVD ROM not working so i have USB option only. i am confused in UEFI setting and all. i am have done google but i am not getting those Setting...