Windows 10: Upgrading Windows 10 got stuck at 92%

Discus and support Upgrading Windows 10 got stuck at 92% in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I think my windows 10 upgrade gets stuck at 92% with configuring windows at 69%. It's been at this screen for over 24 hours already. I'm a bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by said76, Dec 17, 2015.

1. said76 Win User

Upgrading Windows 10 got stuck at 92%

Hi,

I think my windows 10 upgrade gets stuck at 92% with configuring windows at 69%. It's been at this screen for over 24 hours already. I'm a bit concerned now.

I'm wondering if I shut it down by pressing and holding the power button, would I get myself into another problem?

Thank you very much in advance

:)

said76, Dec 17, 2015
  2. opcode81 Win User

Upgrading Windows 10 Stuck at Configuring Settings

There is another thread on the same subject:
    Upgrading to Windows stuck at 92%

opcode81, Dec 17, 2015
  3. Upgrading to Windows stuck at 92%

Unplugged my external hard drive and almost immediately resumed.

ZuluKingFL, Dec 17, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Either the OS will revert back the changes, or you would likely need to reinstall the OS because the installation didn't complete.

5. Hi Said76 - I've had exactly the same problem with the upgrade sticking at 92% and configuring at 69%. I've tried to upgrade five times with the same result every time. Each time I've had to shut down with the power button and each time I've restarted the PC it's said it was trying to restart the installation and then that it was restoring my old operating system (Win7) which it did successfully.

Besides that it appears that Windows has made many attempts to upgrade to Win10 itself (according the the installed update screen) and all of these have failed. Like you, I don't want to do a clean install and have to reinstall all of my programs as this will take hours.

Helpfully the only error codes you can get (if you can find any) appear to be messages that tell you that the installation hasn't worked.

It really worries me with all the talk of windows trying to force you to upgrade when the upgrade doesn't work and there is no clue as to why. I've posted on a number of forums and never had a reply so far. I have successfully upgraded three laptops but this is my main desktop computer, which contains most of my important work. You'd think Microsoft could make sure the thing worked before trying to force the issue. Heaven only knows what damage it will end up doing to my PC.

Windows 7 Home premium. Service pack 1.
    Intel core i3. 4GB RAM. 32 bit operating system. ITB hard drive.

Puzzled John, Dec 17, 2015
  6. DoItJust Win User
  7. Many thanks DoItJust. I've had a look at that and may well do it out of sheer frustration, but my main point is that I'd like to be able to get information from Microsoft as to why it keeps failing at the same point and what to do about it.

I've seen several posts showing the upgrade failing at exactly the same point (92% and 69%) so surely they've some clue as to what is doing it at that point.

8. DoItJust Win User

Maybe it's wise to disable the upgrade until you know why it's stalling and can fix the problem. One day it may not be able to revert.
    Or, make an image of your current system using Macrium Reflect Free to be able to restore it in case of a disaster.

DoItJust, Dec 17, 2015
  9. Thanks again. A good point and well worth considering. The only trouble is I see no prospect of Microsoft giving any information that may help with this problem.

10. Steve C Win User
    Do you have the error log file setuperr.log in the temporary Windows installation folder? If so, there may be an error message towards the end of the file which may indicate what's wrong.

Steve C, Dec 18, 2015
  11. Hi Steve C. Thanks for this. There are just two entries in the error log for the last fail and these are:
    2015-12-17 18:15:23, Error [0x08085f] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext: LoadLibraryExW(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-RasServer-MigPlugin\RasMigPlugin.dll, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH) failed gle=0x7f.[gle=0x0000007f]

2015-12-17 18:15:23, Error [0x080863] MIG MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext() failed hr=0x8007007f.[gle=0x0000007f]

I've got to admit this might as well be written in Klingon for all the sense it makes to me, so if anyone can enlighten me I'd be most grateful. I should perhaps mention that this last time I didn't monitor the upgrade and when I checked it after a some hours it wasn't stuck on the 92% mark as usual but said that something had gone wrong with the machine and it had to reboot but nothing happened and an hour later the same screen was there. At that point I shut down, restarted and got the messages about trying to continue and then that it was reloading the old operating system.

Puzzled John, Dec 18, 2015
  12. Steve C Win User
    Those messages are not helpful. My upgrade also failed with A Something Happened error. When you run the command bcdedit /export <yourfilename> from an elevated command prompt, does it fail with the error "The store export operation has failed. The handle is invalid"?

If so, you may have a similar problem to me in which case see https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...x80004005.html

Steve C, Dec 18, 2015
  13. axe0 New Member

Is there any peripheral connected?
    Are all drivers up to date?

14. Thanks yet again for your help. Actually this worked. The message "The operation completed successfully" was displayed in the command prompt.

I looked at the link you gave me but unfortunately did not understand one single word of it.

Puzzled John, Dec 18, 2015
  15. Steve C Win User
    It appears you don' t have my problem so ignore my link.

I suggest:

1. Run sfc /scannow to check for problems with system files. Come back for advice if it fails.

2. Do a full system backup of the current OS - many use Macrium Reflect. This will enable you to recover if the update goes seriously wrong. Make a Reflect recovery drive also if you use Reflect.

3. Try updating again from an admin account, remove unneeded devices e.g. external drives and choose the option not to search for drivers when you install Windows 10.

If the above fails and there is no useful error message you may need to clean install Windows 10 if you really want to upgrade.

Steve C, Dec 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Upgrading Windows 10 got stuck at 92% - Similar Threads - Upgrading got stuck

2. Windows update stuck on 92%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update stuck on 92%: I have some computers that wont finish updates.on the updates windows we see that it stuck on 92%.when we restart the computers it stuck on "updating, don't restart..."We have 2 antivirus application - ESET and SentinelOne.When I remove one of them the update finish...
  3. Windows update stuck on 92%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update stuck on 92%: I have some computers that wont finish updates.on the updates windows we see that it stuck on 92%.when we restart the computers it stuck on "updating, don't restart..."We have 2 antivirus application - ESET and SentinelOne.When I remove one of them the update finish...
  4. Windows update stuck on 92%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Not charging stuck at 92%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not charging stuck at 92%: My laptop is stuck at 92%. No matter how many minutes pass, nothing! It just says '92% available plugged in'. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-charging-stuck-at-92/097797db-2676-495c-bf48-682ed6a372db
  6. stuck at 92% update windows 10 for 4 days now

stuck at 92% update windows 10 for 4 days now: I truly wish someone would respond. This update has been stuck at 92% for the past 4 days. I've tried everything I could think of, but cannot even get into the hard-drive C: for an attempt at safe mode or anything. I'm really stressed and I see that many are having similar...
  7. My PC was unable to update/Got stuck at 92% and then it show the message saying it failed

My PC was unable to update/Got stuck at 92% and then it show the message saying it failed: I had a big problem with a Windows update, and now it is stuck in a loop. A few days ago I tried to update Windows 10, I decided to do it fast do I reset the computer, when turning off it shows the message saying preparing for updates, when it gets to 30% it turns off then...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade from 1809 to 1909 stuck at 92 percent

Windows 10 upgrade from 1809 to 1909 stuck at 92 percent: So I bit the bullet today and decide upgrade from 1,809 to 1909. Now it's stuck On working on updates At 92% for the past hour.Is it normally this long? Especially for an SSD? 151259
  9. Reset stuck at 92%. Please help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reset stuck at 92%. Please help!: I had started a total reset from windows settings last night. It went from 0 to 92 in approx 3 hours. There has been no progress after that, stuck on 92% since almost 6-7 hours. What should I do now? PS - I have taken a backup of my stuff so loss of data is not an issue....
  10. Upgrade got stuck.

Upgrade got stuck.: Upgrade assistant is showing 99% update percent complete for 5 hours. All download is done. Task manager shows 0% CPU use by update assistant . What to do now? [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4489894 stuck at 92%

2. 1809 92% completed

3. windows 10 92%

4. windows 10 october 2018 stuck while updating at 92% ,
  5. 1809 stuck at 92