Windows 10: Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro?

Discus and support Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've just seen a deal to get Windows 10 Pro fairly cheaply. My laptop has Windows 10 Home and I'd be interested in upgrading it to Pro for the remote... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alexncfc, Nov 6, 2017.

1. alexncfc Win User

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro?

I've just seen a deal to get Windows 10 Pro fairly cheaply. My laptop has Windows 10 Home and I'd be interested in upgrading it to Pro for the remote assistance features of Pro. My question is, if I buy the Pro version (which is the download and an OEM key), can I upgrade my existing Home installation for Pro just by entering the new key, or is it more complex than that?

If it involves a complete reinstall then I probably won't bother.

Thanks.

:)

alexncfc, Nov 6, 2017

2. upgrade to windows 10 home

I have gone through all these articles, but nothing addresses the issue. I repeatedly receive these messages when I "Review Update History"

Name Status Importance Date Installed

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/10/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/9/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/9/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/8/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/7/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/7/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/6/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/5/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/4/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/3/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/2/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/2/2015

It appears that Windows 10 Home has been attempting to install since 8/2/2015, but can not for some reason. I'd like to know what I need to do to correct the problem so the download can complete.

BrendaLuckey, Nov 6, 2017
  3. Upgrading Win User
    My Nokia C3 is not supporting softwares

I have tried so many ways to download softwares, but to my efforts are all fruitless. When i go to other sites to download and install softwares, the place to download the software will not even be active and when i download from ovi store it is not supported.
    What should i do to end this problem?

Upgrading, Nov 6, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Plankton, Nov 6, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 6, 2017
  6. alexncfc Win User
    Thanks for the very speedy replies @Plankton and @brink. I think I'll give it a miss then, just thought it may have been a fairly cheap way to upgrade my Home edition but I don't fancy doing a clean install on my laptop any time soon.

alexncfc, Nov 7, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    I disagree with the above advice. Only yesterday, I bought an upgrade key for £10 from Amazon UK. I just entered the new product key in the Activation settings (see screenshot) then the PC download some files for a couple of minutes, Windows restarted and I had upgraded from Home to Pro. Note I started with an OEM Home version of Windows activated with a digital licence linked to my MS account. I can confirm all Pro features are working and the Pro version is activated with a digital licence linked to my MS account.

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro? [​IMG]

Steve C, Nov 7, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

Well, is that not what an upgrade key is for ?

Just like Windows Anytime Upgrade would`ve done *Smile

AddRAM, Nov 7, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You could use an upgrade key to do an edition upgrade from Home to Pro since it is a retail key.

It's just that you wouldn't be able to enter an OEM key to do an edition upgrade since it wouldn't be accepted.

Brink, Nov 7, 2017
  10. HI,
    Just go to the MS store and buy it
    I upgraded a 10 home to pro went actually pretty well.
    Best way to upgrade a version it's logged with MS and easy to reactivate if you do clean install imho.

ThrashZone, Nov 7, 2017
  11. alexncfc Win User
    @ThrashZone

Is it going for £20 in the Microsoft store?? *Wink

alexncfc, Nov 7, 2017
  12. clam1952 Win User
    No it's £119.99 however it's going to be 100% legal, whereas I doubt an upgrade for £10 or £20 is likely to be, may well be OK but on the other hand may not and get blocked in the future.

clam1952, Nov 7, 2017
  13. alexncfc Win User

Just to clarify the deal for Windows 10 Pro for £20 is currently a Groupon Voucher offer, so I would imagine it would be legal - although I can't be 100% sure it's all above board.

I was quite lucky with getting Windows 10 Pro on my desktop as when Windows 8 was first on sale, in order to drive sales Microsoft did a deal of Windows 8 Pro for £20 so I snapped that up and therefore have been able to update to 8.1 Pro and 10 Pro on that machine. Wish I'd bought another copy of 8 at the time.

alexncfc, Nov 7, 2017
  14. @Brink Could you upgrade from Home to Pro with the generic key, then enter the OEM key to activate? I "think" that was doable in the past? A lot of stuff changed with 1709 though. Down side to trying this is, if it rejects your OEM key your stuck with a not activated 10 Pro. You can't go back to 10 Home with a key change. You would have to reinstall. Or resort to some other trickery to get back to 10 Home.

alphanumeric, Nov 7, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Kerry @alphanumeric, *Smile

You used to be able to, but no longer. If an edition upgrade requires a restart, then a generic key cannot be entered to upgrade the edition.

Unfortunately, an edition upgrade from Home to Pro does require a restart.

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro? [​IMG]

Brink, Nov 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro? - Similar Threads - Upgrading Home Pro

2. Upgrading windows 10 home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading windows 10 home to Pro: I have hp notebook 15 ay122ne laptop running pre-installed genuine windows 10 home, so i want to upgrade windows 10 home to windows 10 Pro. i checked upgrading through microsoft store and it cost around Rs. 8k, so its bit expensive for me to do that, also my laptop is around...
  3. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hi. Hope someone can help/advise. I have recently bought a new computer with Windows 10 Home installed and want to upgrade it to Pro. I have a paid-for copy of Windows 7 Pro which was installed on an my previous computer, which was then upgraded to Windows 10. This licence...
  4. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade: I upgraded from Windows 10 home to Pro on 3/27/19 on a new Asus computer. That Asus has now fried the mother board and I would like to use the upgrade to Pro on my new Dell. Is this possible? I am not fixing the Asus due to the cost of the motherboard. Thanks....
  5. Windows 10 Home upgrade to Pro

Windows 10 Home upgrade to Pro: I just bought a new laptop. Came with Windows 10 Home. I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Went to Microsoft Store and purchase Window 10 Pro upgrade. After purchasing it and install. Windows try to Active but it can't. I know that Windows 10 Home was Activate before...
  6. Upgrade windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade windows 10 Home to Pro: I am trying to upgrade my Windows 10 from Home to Pro Edition. I have a product key. When I go to update the Activation asks for a series of 6 digit numbers. My product key is all 5 digit numbers. I had it on a laptop that is no longer usable. How do I activate this ?...
  7. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hello! I've thinking to create a Active Director to control ~30 Windows machines. But all these machines are Windows Home (OEM). Can I upgrade all of them to Windows Pro in my company using Windows Store? Or need I to contact some Microsoft Business Center? Thanks in...
  8. Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade: We have some computers at work that have Windows 10 Home and we're wanting to upgrade them to Windows 10 Pro, so I went to the Windows Store and clicked the "Buy" button, which then asks for my Store login. I tried using my Office 365 account we have at work, but apparently...
  9. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: I am setting up to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to the Pro version and understand how to purchase my upgrade from the Microsoft Store.. Due to my limit of internet download to 20 GB I have my internet connection set to - metered ON. Will this affect my upgrade and activation of...
  10. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade: I mistakenly upgraded to the Pro version from windows 10 Home which came installed on my Asus laptop without verifying that Home had been activated. Now Microsoft doesn't recognize the digital license which I got when I bought Pro. What should I do?...