Windows 10: Upgrading Windows SL using license from a different laptop?

Discus and support Upgrading Windows SL using license from a different laptop? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, So my laptop is in dire need of replacing. Lots of things don't work anymore and after a lot of help from both here and sevenforums, i'm biting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mattking1984, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Upgrading Windows SL using license from a different laptop?

Hi,

So my laptop is in dire need of replacing. Lots of things don't work anymore and after a lot of help from both here and sevenforums, i'm biting the bullet and replacing it.

The problem is I plan to buy a laptop in Russia, where I live and work currrently, as they are much cheaper than back home in England BUT they usually install Windows SL in Russian only. I require it to be in English.

When I attempted the Windows 10 update on my current laptop I downloaded the manual installer, and remember there being the option "Create installation media for another computer"

The laptop I will no longer be using has Windows 7 Home Premium. It was bought in England and so has all the language packs. I have gone back to 7 as part of the troubleshooting on this machine, I did a complete System Restore.

My question is this: Because I own a license for a Premium edition of windows 7 on this laptop, would I be able to use the "Create installation media for another computer" option to create an installation disc from this machine (7 home premium) to install on the new laptop (which will likely be 8.1 SL) , thus getting around the Single Language issue and being able to install in English?

Thanks

Matt

:)

mattking1984, Sep 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 Product Key Error

You have a license of Windows 10 Home Single Language and you are trying to do an inplace upgrade using Windows 10 Home ISO.

Edition difference hence asking for a key.

Download Windows 10 home SL ISO from here:

TechBench by WZT (v4.1.1)

there is no 1709 media of Home SL so download of 1703

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 7, 2015
  3. cliffflip Win User
    Windows 10 after Upgrading Processor and Mainboard

I upgraded my Windows 10 SL from Windows 8 OEM. So it's possible to activate without buying new license?

cliffflip, Sep 7, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Upgrading Windows SL using license from a different laptop?

No. All the "Create installation media for another computer" will do is create a Windows 10 install disk or USB stick. What you will need to do is install Windows 7 on the new laptop using the product key that you have for Windows 7 an then upgrade that to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Sep 7, 2015
  5. Oh, I hadn't even thought of doing that! How silly of me. I suppose as long as I'm not using both laptops with the same product key at the same time it will be fine. Then i'll probably just chuck Ubuntu on the old one and use it for backup.

Cheers.

mattking1984, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrading Windows SL using license from a different laptop?

1. Upgrading Windows SL using license from a different laptop? - Similar Threads - Upgrading using license

2. is their a to upgrade from Windows 10 Home SL to Pro for free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    is their a to upgrade from Windows 10 Home SL to Pro for free: Is their any way shape or form I can upgrade my Windows 10 Home SL to Windows 10 pro for free permanently without damaging any of files or doing anything illegal towards my system?P.S.I'm just curious...
  3. Upgrade from Windows 10 SL to Windows 10 Professional

Upgrade from Windows 10 SL to Windows 10 Professional: Can we load windows 10 Professional OEM Pack on a laptop which comes by default with Windows 10 Home? We have HP 250G8 Laptop Part No. 3D4T7PA which comes with Windows 10 Home. But we need to give laptop with Windows 10 Professional to our customer. Please suggest if we can...
  4. I want upgrade license OEM from Windows 10 Home SL to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I want upgrade license OEM from Windows 10 Home SL to Windows 10 Pro: Hello everyone I using Windows 10 Home SL key OEM, and i want to upgrade license to Windows 10 Pro key OEM. Make sure after i reinstall Windows 10, Windows 10 will automatic active Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home SL in the future. Which should i buy license on...
  5. How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home SL to Windows 10 Home?

How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home SL to Windows 10 Home?: I own a Windows 10 Home Single language Edition. I want to have multiple language support. How can I have it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-10-home-sl-to-windows/722f0e09-aed1-4dba-8940-3989d121a3cd
  6. Windows 10 Home SL License-OEM

Windows 10 Home SL License-OEM: Hi, May I ask one more time to be sure, I feel confused again. After I found it on my computer, "Read the microsoft software license terms - latest update 2015", What the meaning of these (text bold). (iv) The software may include third party programs that are licensed...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade from Home (SL) to Pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 upgrade from Home (SL) to Pro: I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home Single Language available on my laptop, and I want to use Docker, which needs Hyper-V (not available on Windows Home), so I'm thinking of upgrading my Windows 10 to Pro version. I bought an OEM license for Windows 10 Pro from Kinguin,...
  8. Using License Key from a Formatted Laptop

Using License Key from a Formatted Laptop: Hi, I've finished building a desktop and will sell my laptop. If I completely format my laptop that has my windows 10 on it, can I use that laptop's windows 10 license key to activate windows 10 on my desktop?...
  9. Upgrade Windows 10 Home SL to Home (no SL)?

Upgrade Windows 10 Home SL to Home (no SL)?: Is it possible to upgrade to Home (no SL) just to have more than one language pack for language proofing? I don't need the Pro functionality, just additional language packs for proofing tools. I just got my laptop with w10 Home SL (english), everything is ok until I need to...
  10. Upgrade Windows 10 Home SL to Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home SL to Pro: so to the point okay, my laptop is installed windows 10 home SL so can i upgrade to windows 10 pro without reinstall the windows? just need the license of windows 10 pro?...