Windows 10: .url file extension associated with "Internet Browser"

Discus and support .url file extension associated with "Internet Browser" in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When I click on a file with a ".url" extension I get a box pop open that says: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by radar, Dec 31, 2017.

1. radar Win User

.url file extension associated with "Internet Browser"

When I click on a file with a ".url" extension I get a box pop open that says:
    "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..."

When I go into "Choose default apps by file extension" I find that files with a ".url" extension are associated with "Internet Browser" instead of with Firefox (version 57). When I click on "Internet Browser" the only 2 selections are "Internet Browser" and "look for an app in the store". How do I associate Firefox (which is already set as my default web browser) to open .url files?

Thanks.

.url file extension associated with "Internet Browser" [​IMG]

:)

radar, Dec 31, 2017
  2. MarcoBode Win User

Default browser always reset back to Edge after restart

my problem is solved. All I had to do was to change the file association of .url in W10 from "internet browser" to "Safari (Mac)". No need to care about the default browser in Windows as long as settings in Parallels are "open on Mac" and the file association
    for .url is set as described above. Just posting this here in case somebody will have same problem...

MarcoBode, Dec 31, 2017
  3. File Extension Associations

How do I change the file extension associations to "unknown"

TerrencePeters, Dec 31, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

It's an indicator for whatever your default browser is.
    When you drag a URL onto your desktop, what does the icon look like?

Edwin, Dec 31, 2017
  5. radar Win User
    it looks blank:

radar, Dec 31, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    Does your browser have all it's defaults?

Edwin, Dec 31, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    The defaults should help but a .url file [Uniform Resource Locator] is the same as seen in a browsers Address Bar, I drag the small icon on the left end of the address to either the Favorites/Bookmarks Toolbar or to the Desktop and can open the default browser to that page. It seldom works properly to right-click and Create a Shortcut on the Desktop.

Berton, Dec 31, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

Make sure Firefox has all it's defaults.
    If that still doesn't cut it...
    paste C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageFileAssoc onto a Run box and change the protocol from there:

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. .url file extension associated with "Internet Browser" - Similar Threads - url file extension

2. I need a google chrome extension that can save website as an .url internet shortcut file...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I need a google chrome extension that can save website as an .url internet shortcut file...: Can someone tell me which google chrome extension does what I need?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-a-google-chrome-extension-that-can-save/4911d65f-5e6c-4d57-ac51-2692db7c200d
  3. Is there a way to redirect a specific website URL without a browser extension in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to redirect a specific website URL without a browser extension in Windows 10?: Is there a way to redirect a specific website URL without a browser extension in Windows 10? For example, if somebody on my Windows 10 computer goes to https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4 then I want them to be automatically redirected to https://www.reddit.com/r/math/ How can I...
  4. Associate file extensions to a program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate file extensions to a program: I am trying to associate a jpg file to Adobe Photoshop in a Windows 10 process that appears to continually direct me to a Windows 10 default recommendation. I managed to find two columns showing an incredible number of extensions on the left and the apps or programs on the...
  5. Associate a file extension in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Associate a file extension in Windows 10: Hey, I have just installed Endnote X9 Referencing Manager Application on my second pc.. It has created a icon for it and the program opens up and I am able to access the usual link through Word. My issue though is when I download the citation reference from my web site,...
  6. How To Associate app for Files With No Extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Associate app for Files With No Extension: Win 10 v1903. I get files from an app and these files do not have an extension. I can open and read them via Notebook but I'd like to assign Notebook to open them when I double click the file name. Can that be done in Win 10? -- Larry 142436
  7. Remove (not change) file extension association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove (not change) file extension association: I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ?? This user was very helpful...
  8. program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension: I went to control panel, file, and when I click on "change the file type associated with a file extension" the window opens with the blue screen and the file icon in the center but never actually opens up at all....
  9. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...
  10. File extension not in file association list

File extension not in file association list: Hello, I use Notepad++ to edit Python files which have the file extension .py such as "sample.py" I would like to set Notepad++ as the default program to open .py files. When I open a .py file I get the popup asking me which file I want to use to open. But I do not get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. run: C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageDefaultProgram