Windows 10: URL link opens in IE although Firefox is my default - why?

Discus and support URL link opens in IE although Firefox is my default - why? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Haven't used my Win 10 Pro 64-bit much yet. But just noticed a problem. I have installed a program called HippoEdit, which is an advanced text... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by glnz, Jan 22, 2017.

1. glnz Win User

URL link opens in IE although Firefox is my default - why?

Haven't used my Win 10 Pro 64-bit much yet. But just noticed a problem.

I have installed a program called HippoEdit, which is an advanced text editor for creating and editing code. (I'm not a coder -- I'm just starting to learn VBA for Word, and this program HippoEdit was offered for free on GiveAwayOfTheDay, so I grabbed it. Haven't used it yet but was looking at it just now.)

Its Help page has a URL link to Introduction [HippoEDIT Wiki]. When I click on it, the link opens in Internet Explorer, not my Firefox. Why?

I double-checked, and Firefox is my designated default program for opening all .htm, .html, .url and web links.
    So why does this link Introduction [HippoEDIT Wiki] open in IE?

(HippoEdit itself is a text-editing window that looks like a cross of Word 2003, Notepad and maybe a browser. Do you think it is somehow connected to IE? It is not made by Microsoft. And even its own settings show Firefox as a default for .html. So, no, I don't think there's any hidden link to IE.)

What do you think?

:)

2. Ralf_G Win User

If I set anything but Edge to be the default browser Windows mail will not open web page links

I'm using Internet Explorer as the default browser and Thunderbird as my email program. Web links in emails open in IE when I click them. I momentarily switched to using Firefox as the default browser, no restart, and web links began opening in Firefox instead
    of IE.

I temporarily ran the Windows Mail app with IE as my default browser and links again opened in IE. When I set Firefox as the default browser the web links opened in Firefox.

Don't know why yours is behaving the way it does. Why not try enabling Internet Explorer (Control Panel, Programs and Features- Turn Windows Features on or off. See if it makes a difference.

Ralf_G, Jan 22, 2017
  3. How to you stop links from pages on this site, which are opened in Firefox, from opening in IE? Why would they do that?

That is not the answer, as IE is not the default, nor do i want Firefox to be so. Chrome is the default via Contro Panel (though Firefox is by far the best) and set to open all protocols it can, yet if click on a link in Firefox from this page such as

Ask the community then it opens up in IE.

Thanks.

PeaceByJesus777, Jan 22, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Apparently it IS heavily integrated with IE...
    Integrated Web Browser [HippoEDIT Wiki]

Thema:

1. URL link opens in IE although Firefox is my default - why? - Similar Threads - URL link opens

2. Why do all my links suddenly open with Edge when Firefox is my default browser and all my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do all my links suddenly open with Edge when Firefox is my default browser and all my...: This just started happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-all-my-links-suddenly-open-with-edge-when/cd2c5798-5d3d-48a0-82ab-b0dab36d4627
  3. Why do all my links suddenly open with Edge when Firefox is my default browser and all my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do all my links suddenly open with Edge when Firefox is my default browser and all my...: This just started happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-all-my-links-suddenly-open-with-edge-when/cd2c5798-5d3d-48a0-82ab-b0dab36d4627
  4. Link to Windows Not Opening URLs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Link to Windows Not Opening URLs: I have the link set up and are receiving notifications on my PC. I recently had to switch to a new messaging/SMS app and everything worked. When I switched back, the notifications/texts on my PC when there are URL's do nothing. No link in the text messages on my PC work. I...
  5. Link to Windows Not Opening URLs

Link to Windows Not Opening URLs: I have the link set up and are receiving notifications on my PC. I recently had to switch to a new messaging/SMS app and everything worked. When I switched back, the notifications/texts on my PC when there are URL's do nothing. No link in the text messages on my PC work. I...
  6. Why is IE (sometimes) launched although it is not my default browser?

in Browsers and Email
    Why is IE (sometimes) launched although it is not my default browser?: Out of curiosity .. I have set a different browser as default. Sometimes, specifically when called on from within an application (e.g. check for updates) Internet Explorer is launched, although another browser has been configured to be the default. How come? Is it the...
  7. NAV 2017 http links opening blank IE 11 page and not going to url

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAV 2017 http links opening blank IE 11 page and not going to url: I'm having an issue with a windows 10 computer and Dynamics NAV 2017 and IE 11, Whenever a link is clicked in NAV it opens a blank IE window but does not actually place the URL or forward to the location. In the blank IE window if you press the ESC key the url seems to...
  8. Firefox - URL- "about:sessionrestore" opens in addition to Homepage

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox - URL- "about:sessionrestore" opens in addition to Homepage: For the past few days I have been constantly plagued by a problem with my Firefox Browser [ver 56.0 (64 bit)]. When I try to open Firefox, the follow page also opens up in addition to, and over the top of my usual "Homepage". I then need to click on the "Close" box to get...
  9. Firefox url shortcut downloads and opens a file

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox url shortcut downloads and opens a file: I'm running windows 10 pro build 14986. For example, I go to bing.com. I drag and drop the shortcut from Firefox to the desktop. I double click on the shortcut and it opens File:///C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/OB0L0QRF/HGCFGEDM. I can watch...
  10. url links on ftp site open to IE 11 home page instead of website

url links on ftp site open to IE 11 home page instead of website: I have a couple .url links on an ftp server that go to specific web sites. When I click on the links in Windows 10 it just opens my home page in IE 11. IE 11 is set as default for url files. The links work fine in Windows 7. If I copy the url files to my Windows 10 desktop...