Windows 10: usable ram is painfuly wrong 9.95gb out of 20gb usable?

Discus and support usable ram is painfuly wrong 9.95gb out of 20gb usable? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; so when i built my win 10 box it was registering roughly 18-19 gb of ram for usable and now its only at 9.95... any ideas? Oh, and ive already done the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eddie Bean, Jan 18, 2017.

1. usable ram is painfuly wrong 9.95gb out of 20gb usable?

so when i built my win 10 box it was registering roughly 18-19 gb of ram for usable and now its only at 9.95... any ideas? Oh, and ive already done the unchecking of the ram boxes in startup

usable ram is painfuly wrong 9.95gb out of 20gb usable? [​IMG]

:)

Eddie Bean, Jan 18, 2017

2. windows 10 upgrade, 20GB ram (3.4 usable) ?

so I was able to upgrade to windows 10. I have 20 GB of ram installed. its shows I have 20gb of ram through my pc, properties, so on. but it is only using 3.4. I understand it wont every bit of the 20 gb but seriously? that's a lot of ram going to waste
    and that something id rather use for .. idk Gaming.. Mutitasking, streaming, but mostly gaming.

to update, I tested my ram drives out a week later. just ordered a new on to test with and turned out some drives had to of been bad. 10.9 out of 12 is a lot better. its not 20gb, but better than just 4gb.

NathanielG.F., Jan 18, 2017
  3. EckiS Win User
    EckiS, Jan 18, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

usable ram is painfuly wrong 9.95gb out of 20gb usable?

What does this show?

usable ram is painfuly wrong 9.95gb out of 20gb usable? [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jan 18, 2017
  5. it shows 9.9 as well yet the bios shows 20 gb with... 10.1gb hardware reserved?

Eddie Bean, Jan 18, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    You may get a quicker response if you post your question is the Hardware section. Sounds like a memory configuration issue. Maybe too much allocated to the graphics card, something like that. Not really up on that area. Try posting here.

Drivers and Hardware - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, Jan 18, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Haven't come across it yet in Win10 but a few years ago did run into issues with mixed modules, mostly mixed brands. The amount of installed RAM is a bit unusual at 20GB, usually modules are multiples of 1GB, 2GB, 4GB or 8GB depending upon how many slots are on the motherboard. This page has a chart of what Win10 can work with so 20GB is within range:
    What's the maximum RAM support for Windows 10 Home Edition and - Microsoft Community
    Personally, I buy all my RAM modules for any particular computer from the same place at the same time, has always given better assurance they all work together.

Berton, Jan 18, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Most likely it may not need all of that RAM at this time, or you have an issue with your Motherboard Bios not set correctly for that amount of RAM. Download Speccy from Speccy - System Information - Free Download When it finishes it will give you a web address. Post that web address in a new message. You may want to run Memtest. You can download Clonezilla and place it on a USB stick and run Memtest from there. Possibly a RAM module issue.

bro67, Jan 18, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    Based on SPECCY's report of RAM 16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24) it appears there is only a single RAM module of 16GB installed on the motherboard. Also appears the video adapter/card has 4GB memory.

According to the motherboard image on 970 GAMING | MSI USA | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design it has 4 memory slots and 2 slots for video cards.

Berton, Jan 18, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    Go through the Bios settings. Also try reseating the RAM. I am not seeing anything in the Specifications that it is reserving any of your RAM for your Video Card, which would have its own RAM. Those boards do have a slight learning curve, since they are made for gaming. There is a dedicated gaming forum on here that you can ask your post to be moved over to. I know a few users do have the same Motherboard that post on here.

bro67, Jan 18, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    Download CPU-Z and post results. CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID They do have a custom install for the MSI gaming boards. On each tab you can use F6 to copy to Clipboard and then paste in a test file to post on a new post on here. Now some have had to fiddle with the Boot options to make it show all RAM. Check MSI community to see if anyone on there has any type of fixes or there is a MSI driver that you may not have installed that makes Windows see all of the RAM.

bro67, Jan 18, 2017
  12. usable ram is painfuly wrong 9.95gb out of 20gb usable?

ended up looking at some tracers and realized some were broke.... simple physical problem, i got a new board and it works flawlessly

Eddie Bean, Jan 23, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User
    Good to hear. If all is well, please mark as solved. TC

f14tomcat, Jan 23, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    Glad to hear. At least you got armed with the right tools to help you if something happens later.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. usable ram is painfuly wrong 9.95gb out of 20gb usable? - Similar Threads - usable ram painfuly

2. usable ram problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usable ram problem: Hello everyone, I have a problem like this, I am using a desktop pc, a device with amd am3+ ddr3 msi 970 ms 7693 motherboard, amd phenom II X II 555 cpu, ati radeon 4600 graphics card, 16384 ram, windows 10 pro 22H2, on this device Although it sees the amount of ram that is...
  3. Usable Ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usable Ram: I have Windows 11 download with a 64-bit operating system and a x64-based processor but when I check my ram it says I have 8GB of ram but 7.98 usable! Does any know how to get my 7.98 GB of ram back?...
  4. Usable Ram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usable Ram: I have Windows 11 download with a 64-bit operating system and a x64-based processor but when I check my ram it says I have 8GB of ram but 7.98 usable! Does any know how to get my 7.98 GB of ram back?...
  5. Usable Ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Usable Ram: I have 4GB installed on my pc and it says 3.5GB usable only, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usable-ram/7ed6d799-244f-4e07-a295-e364185167d4
  6. Usable RAM.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usable RAM.: Hello, I have 4 GB of RAM installed in my computer. But it shows that only 3.7 is usable. Please help me ASAP. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usable-ram/58afd9d1-86a8-4fe7-bcbd-5431b825ab37
  7. Less ram usable

Less ram usable: Hello i have a pc with 8 gb ram installed as two sticks of 4gb. Windows 10 only sees 4gb and 2.85 gb is usable. The bios sees that their is 8gb installed. I have a older i3 cpu and a AMD Radeon 7700 graphics card (4gb) Could someone tell me how to fix this or if one of...
  8. Usable RAM

Usable RAM: Hi on my windows 10 x64 x64 system I have 4gigs of memory installed and only 3.2 (3.19) gigs is usable, ive tried booting into the bios and it doesnt give me a option to change my memory, ive also tried msconfig unchecking and checking putting 4092 mb of memory on start up...
  9. Ram usable

Ram usable: When i play fortnite in taskmanager it always show 60 percent r less usage of ram (memory) i i cant use ram more than that .bec beca of thia sometimes games lose frames...
  10. 2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.: Hello! I've just installed my windows 10 and since it was running slow on a 2gb ram, I decided to buy a 4gb stick on my 32bit system. Long story short, it only shows 2.2gb usable. 768mb(or something close to that figure) is reserved for the videocard but I think I still...