Windows 10: USB 3.0 Drive Slowing Down

Discus and support USB 3.0 Drive Slowing Down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Greetings, I've already tried asking this in the HP forum. I purchased a HP drive, and it was working great. For the first few months, copying my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Shanester, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Shanester Win User

USB 3.0 Drive Slowing Down

Greetings,

I've already tried asking this in the HP forum.

I purchased a HP drive, and it was working great. For the first few months, copying my backup files (about 300 GB), only took one hour. Then it started slowing down. It now takes five or six hours.

I've tried plugging it into another USB 3.0 port.

I've checked the drive for errors, and the drive isn't fragmented. I can't find anything physically wrong with the drive. Is there a software issue that could be causing it to slow down?

There is a tutorial that says you can speed up a drive by enabling Disk Write Caching, but according to the manual, the drive came with write caching disabled (page 14).

Thanks,
    Shane.

:)

Shanester, Sep 2, 2017
  2. slance310 Win User

D: drive disappeared in 12/12/2017 update; still works in Linux

Hi,

You might investigate installing newer ChipSet (INF) driver from either Intel or the machines manufacturer...

I have had issues with newer builds in which my SATA and USB 3.0 drives work, but are sluggish... The USB 3.0 drives run at a slow USB 2.0 speed... The latest SetupChipset (INF) 10.1.1.42_1-17_From Intel solved the problem...

The M\B manufacturer had a new one for Win 10 as well, but Intel's was newer...

They both work..

slance310, Sep 2, 2017
  3. OwenKwon Win User
    Windows 10 media creation tool can't find USB

I don't know this way is already shared.

I was able to create the USB disk by using USB 2.0 HUB with Sandisk USB 3.0 flash drive.

bare Sandisk USB 3.0 flash drive : didn't work

Sandisk USB 3.0 on USB 2.0 HUB : worked

Sandisk USB 3.0 drive seems to use a special driver by the internet searching.

OwenKwon, Sep 2, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

The only quick things I could suggest are to check that your files that you copy are not small, and that the drive you are copying from and to are not fragmented.

Backup files (as in system image files) tend to be one single file with only a few items in each. These should show as copying at high speed, probably around 60 to 80 Mbs.

Copying user files such as several hundred or several thousand very small files may slow down to just 10 to 20kbs (yes that slow).

Have you expanded the drop down option when copying files to see the actual speeds and how/when they might vary ?

Mooly, Sep 2, 2017
  5. Shanester Win User
    I've checked the drive for errors, and the drive isn't fragmented.

I use Robocopy for backup, and I only backup user files, not applications or system image files. I have two external drives. The other drive still works fine, so backup takes about an hour. The HP drive is slowing down, even though I'm backing up the exact same files.

Thanks,
    Shane.

Shanester, Sep 2, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    If you have two drives and are duplicating backup files then would it be worth formatting the HP drive and starting afresh and seeing if the speed returns ?

Mooly, Sep 2, 2017
  7. Shanester Win User
    I formatted the drive (quick format), and it is slightly faster. A backup takes about four hours, when it should take one.

Shane.

Shanester, Sep 6, 2017
  8. Mooly Win User

I'm just seeing what speeds I get to a USB 3 drive. You mentioned 300Gb in around an hour so that is around 83Mb/S. That seems in the right ballpark as I averaged a very consistent 65-67Mb/S in a test.

Why not try copying the same file with Explorer and see what speed it reports.

USB 3.0 Drive Slowing Down [​IMG]

Mooly, Sep 6, 2017
  9. Shanester Win User
    I was getting 15 MB/s.

Shane.

Shanester, Sep 7, 2017
  10. Mooly Win User
    Mooly, Sep 7, 2017
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I am using this tool which is based on USBview to determine USB 3.0 device capabilities:

USB Device Tree Viewer

Choose your corresponding bit version once unzipped. It's a portable version so no installation required.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Sep 8, 2017
  12. Shanester Win User
    Sorry for the delay.

I've downloaded and run the tool.

I'm looking at all the information for the affected port, but I can't see anything wrong. Can anyone help me? I've uploaded the report.

Thanks,
    Shane.

Shanester, Oct 29, 2017
  13. USB 3.0 Drive Slowing Down

When copying files you should disable your antivirus and user account control this is because antivirus scans all files which are been copied which will slow down copy process and user account control checks to see if each file been copied needs elevation of administrators privileges which can again slow down file transfer speed.

You should also defragment both drives that are been use to transfer files and the drive where files are stored.

Defragmenting files is just one part of maintaining peak disk performance. Another important part is free space consolidation. Consolidating free space ensures that new files will be created quickly and contiguously - ensuring that peak performance is realized from the beginning. Free space consolidation also results in a faster performing drive - much faster than simply defragmenting files.

To perform free space consolidation on the specified volumes execute following command.

Code: Defrag C: /X /H[/quote]

FreeBooter, Oct 29, 2017
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Can't see anything wrong with it either after comparing your file with mine. Odd...

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 29, 2017
  15. Well according to the report your usb bus is ok . Now apparently this is a device issue , try switching the cable with the other optimum drive's cable , also try it out on a different machine and see if you get same results or better .

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 30, 2017
Thema:

1. USB 3.0 Drive Slowing Down - Similar Threads - USB Drive Slowing

2. One Drive Slowing down File explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive Slowing down File explorer: Why is One drive such a issue its constantly slowing down file explorer and making files inaccessible until i restart the Pc or File explorer, im talking bad too. it too me a few weeks to figure out what it was because the process was so far down task manager how do i fix...
  3. One Drive Slowing down File explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Slowing down File explorer: Why is One drive such a issue its constantly slowing down file explorer and making files inaccessible until i restart the Pc or File explorer, im talking bad too. it too me a few weeks to figure out what it was because the process was so far down task manager how do i fix...
  4. slow copying with 0% usage on drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    slow copying with 0% usage on drives: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Noodle_nose [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/tqhyyi/slow_copying_with_0_usage_on_drives/
  5. USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted: So I recently bought a USB 2.0 Memorex 64GB flash drive, and after using it as a disk in VMware, the flash drive now doesn't load in Windows and appears as "USB Drive F: without a storage indicator, doesn't load in the virtual machine, and freezes explorer when loading the...
  6. USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted: So I recently bought a USB 2.0 Memorex 64GB flash drive, and after using it as a disk in VMware, the flash drive now doesn't load in Windows and appears as "USB Drive F: without a storage indicator, doesn't load in the virtual machine, and freezes explorer when loading the...
  7. USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. slow writing on USB 3 key encrypted with Bitlocker

slow writing on USB 3 key encrypted with Bitlocker: Hi, after upgrading my two PC to Windows 10 Enterprise 2004, OS build 19041.450, I'm experiencing on both slow writing on USB 3 key encrypted with bitlocker. With previous Windows version writing speed was about 20 MB/s, now speed swings from 8 MB/s to 0. With the same USB...
  9. Slow USB Drive File Transfer

Slow USB Drive File Transfer: Hello All Some reason both my most used systems having slow usb drive file transfer, Desktop & Laptop, Desktop is brand new motherboard, processor, and not yet a clean install ((soon will do one soon as i can)), but right now just wanna improve usb drive performance if i...
  10. USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.

USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.: As per title. Windows 10 has already killed an older USB 2 flash drive, now the new USB 3 one only copies files at 20MBps. USB is seriously broken in Windows 10. 32587