Windows 10: USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS

Discus and support USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am aiming to get a USB 3.0 external hard drive of at least 3 TB to be formatted as a single user-data partition using the GPT organisation and NTFS,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JohnGray, Mar 17, 2018.

1. JohnGray Win User

USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS

I am aiming to get a USB 3.0 external hard drive of at least 3 TB to be formatted as a single user-data partition using the GPT organisation and NTFS, and to have it visible by Windows 10 and by Windows 7 (actually WS2008R2 SP1).

Searching gives a number of views. One of these is that it will work in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10 (although this problem may perhaps have been fixed for more recent Editions of Windows 10?).

Please could someone tell me the actual situation from their personal experience? I don't want to spend around £100 for (say) a 4 TB drive and find it won't work without using MBR and two NTFS partitions... Thanks!

:)

JohnGray, Mar 17, 2018
  2. FrankCu Win User

dos commands hide all folders

all local disks including disk E are NTFS formats, other flash drives are FAT32 with 2.0 usb.

recently buy 2 external HD, one is seagate 2 TB with usb 3.0/2.0 NTFS format which I don't try now, one is samsung 1 tb with 3.0 usb with exFAT format which I tried xcopy and then xcopy back to local disk E like figs, no file and foldrs, I tried E:, cd the
    folders, they are there but can not see the folders, that why I asked.

Thx

FrankCu, Mar 17, 2018
  3. Hansu_75 Win User
    What about bluetooth3+HS in Symbian Anna ?

I can plug in my external 2 tb hard drive to my n8 and browse files and transfer but it goes slow but it works with usb-on-the-go but and my 2tb hard drive is in ntfs ,

Hansu_75, Mar 17, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

4TB with 2 TB NTFS partitions with MBR will not work. The 2.2 TB limit is per drive, not per partition.

3TB GPT/NTFS with single partition will work fine unless a very old pc which may need a bios update, but all pcs in last 10 years or so should be fine.

cereberus, Mar 17, 2018
  5. JohnGray Win User
    Thank you! You are, of course, correct about MBR supporting a max of ~2.2 TB, however partitioned, for a 512-byte NTFS cluster size.

I'm afraid you rather skipped over my point about the opinion that "it will work in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10 (although this problem may perhaps have been fixed for more recent Editions of Windows 10?)."
    Can you say from personal experience that a 3 TB or 4 TB GPT/NTFS drive works in Windows 10?

JohnGray, Mar 17, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    I can: I have two each 3 TB and 4 TB drives on my various systems here. This is a screen cap from my Insider Preview test machine taken just a few seconds ago, showing two 4 TB drives mounted thereupon (both via USB 3.0 in a dual-drive NexStar TX drive dock):

USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 17, 2018
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @JohnGray

the 4TB passport size self powered pocket sized USB3 drives are brilliant (work on USB2 as well but slower speed of course).

I have several of these - usually use on Linux but they work 100% on W10 so long as you format these as GPT drives with NTFS file system. On Linux no prob just format with command mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdx or mkfs.xfs /sdx where sdx is the device mount).

Here's a link to UK purchase - that price includes a wallet busting 20% tax (VAT) !!!!!! - how those people don't burn down buckingham palace or parliament with that sort of tax --another story though !! in USA ,outside UK or elsewhere you should be able to source these things a lot cheaper.

Here's that link for the standard Black ones -- they have different coloured ones which is great if you use different HDD's for various bits of data. I've had absolutely no failure on these and I have used them a lot.

WD 4 TB My Passport Portable Hard Drive - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

I got mine from Amazon S.A.R.L (Luxembourg) without VAT - but we're treading into dangerous waters here on that topic !!!!

Performance is almost as good as typical internal HDD's as far as file transfer speeds are concerned - regularly get over 5GHZ wifi network average transfer speeds of around 87 MB/s (X 4 for Mb/s of course). perfectly acceptable in my view.

For standard HDD's used say in an enclosure same is true - but I prefer the portable HDD's for this as they are easily switchable between systems and if you travel you don't want to take an electric powered multi-bay external enclosure !!!! - remember 2 of these portable HDD's will give you 8TB of data --unless you are the CIA you don't need that much data on the road with a small laptop !!!!!!.

For permanently attaching to some sort of server (or semi-permanently) then the enclosure with internal HDD's is a good idea of course.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 17, 2018
  8. JohnGray Win User

@jimbo45 Thanks for the link - they were the drives I was looking at.

With regard to VAT, almost all countries I know of have some form of sales tax under different names. It is just another way in which governments collect money from the populace.

JohnGray, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS - Similar Threads - USB external hard

2. 2,1tb to 2, 3 tb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2,1tb to 2, 3 tb: Windows 11. I got a new case and putting my stuff from old computer into it. I want to replace the two, 1TB drives with two, 3TB drives that are one drive D: in storage spaces. Can I remove the 1TB's and plug and play the 3TB's? Both are same model. Or will I need to set up a...
  3. 2,1tb to 2, 3 tb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2,1tb to 2, 3 tb: Windows 11. I got a new case and putting my stuff from old computer into it. I want to replace the two, 1TB drives with two, 3TB drives that are one drive D: in storage spaces. Can I remove the 1TB's and plug and play the 3TB's? Both are same model. Or will I need to set up a...
  4. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  5. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  6. USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.: USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3. In a partitioned drive it only shows one partition. With thumb drives it works okay. I posted this last week but I was hit by scammers, that`s why I`m posting again. Thanks in advance....
  7. 3 TB Disk Allocation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3 TB Disk Allocation: I am having problems trying to allocate all of the space on a new 3 TB drive. When I installed windows 10 it installed the system files on the 500 GB SSD and allocated an additional 500 MB on Disc 0 (the 3 TB drive) for System Reserved. I have been able to create a New Volume...
  8. External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable: I have a 1TB external hard drive (Medion HDDrive 2 GO) from 2010 that came with a Medion PC from Aldi which my family still use. It is equiped with an eSata connection and a USB2 connection. Both these work fine on the old Medion PC running Windows 10 Home 32bit. The eSata...
  9. Suitable NTFS formatted 12 TB hard drive?

Suitable NTFS formatted 12 TB hard drive?: Not sure that this is the right location to post this. I am looking for a 12 TB hard drive (be it internal or external) that supports the NTFS architecture for under $500. I've looked online on newegg, amazon, ebay, and gmarket, but I've found either no matches or NAS...
  10. 3 tb hdd

3 tb hdd: Hello all, I have just installed my new WD 3TB drive into my system and everything seemed fine. I partitioned and formatted the drive without issue and went ahead loading it with my files etc. All seemed fine until I rebooted my system and now it wont boot up, In fact...