Windows 10: USB 3.0 port transfer speed on HP Laptop not exceeding 40 MBPS

Discus and support USB 3.0 port transfer speed on HP Laptop not exceeding 40 MBPS in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I tested the internal HDD with CrystalDiskMark and was able to get 109 MBPS both on sequential read and write tests. Then, when I tested my 1 TB WD My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Speedster, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Speedster Win User

USB 3.0 port transfer speed on HP Laptop not exceeding 40 MBPS

I tested the internal HDD with CrystalDiskMark and was able to get 109 MBPS both on sequential read and write tests. Then, when I tested my 1 TB WD My Passport USB 3.0 External HDD with CrystalDiskMark the sequential read and write speed did not exceed 40 MBPS the few times I tried. Got similar 30-40 MBPS speed when transferring movies from external HDD to internal HDD.
    So far, I have tried updating the external HDD and USB 3.0 Controller drivers. Tried with 'USB selective suspend setting' disabled (Under Power Plan Options). Also tried with write caching enabled. But havent been able to solve the issue.
    My laptop is running Win 10 Home 64-Bit. I am sure I used the USB 3.0 port. And, I used the USB 3.0 cable supplied with the external HDD. I don't have another USB 3.0 device so cannot figure out whether the issue is with my laptop of the external HDD.'

Is there some Windows 10 setting that might be causing this?
    Please help me out here.

:)

Speedster, Jan 30, 2016

2. USB 3.0 slow transfer speed Windows 10 pro 64 bit

I have a 1 tb sony external hard drive with usb 3.0.

my system is dell inspiron 15r 5520 and windows 10 pro 64 bit.

earlier i had windows 8.1 pro and i used to get constant transfer speed of around 100 MBps but after upgrading to windows 10 the speed has dropped to 30-40 MBps. The transfer starts at 90 MBps but after 2-3 seconds drops to 30-40MBps.

the usb 3.0 driver in device manager is updated. i have also tried using teracopy but it has not solved the problem.

prajwalsingh, Jan 30, 2016
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    HP Printer Deskjet 1055 Port compatibility issue

Hi,

USB Port 3.0 has different traits from USB Port 2.0. Below are some of the differences of each ports:

• Transfer speed. (480 Mbps for USB 2.0 vs. 4.68 Gbps for USB 3.0)
    • Actual data throughput. (280 Mbps vs. 3.2 Gbps)
    • Data transferring method. (half-duplex vs. full duplex)
    • Cable length and wires. (maximum of 5 meters vs. max of 5 meters)
    • Compatibility. (USB 2.0 can connect to USB 1.0 and 2.0 as USB 3.0 can connect to USB 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0)
    • Power consumption. USB 2.0 has a maximum current of 500 mA as USB 3.0 has a maximum current of 900 mA)

We suggest trying to use a different cable that is compatible to USB port 3.0 to help resolve the issue as this kind of incompatibility might cause your system to shut down unexpectedly.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Anne Ros, Jan 30, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Internal and external speeds are fully different. Your internal hard drive runs off the South bridge Chipset, which all new SATA controllers are SATA III 6G. The USB 3.0 runs off a completely different controller or Chipset, such as AsMedia or VIA Chipset. That 40 MBS is actually a good transfer rate speed for an external 3.0 port.

My Motherboard has USB 3.0 boost, and there was only one USB 3.0 flash drive in it, and the transfer rates were between 20mb to 35 mb a sec, which I think is normal for a flash drive. All other flash drives are USB 2.0 that I use in the ports

lmaneke, Jan 30, 2016
  5. Speedster Win User
    I was able to find a solution. Turns out that if you plug in a USB 3.0 HDD too slowly, then it will be recognized as a USB 2.0 HDD. This happens because in a USB 3.0 plug the USB 3.0 connector pins are in the second row. So, if you plug in the USB 3.0 HDD slowly then it gives the PC enough time to complete the protocol handshake and your USB 3.0 HDD is recognized as a USB 2.0 HDD before its fully plugged in. Which is why you don't get USB 3.0 speeds. So if you have a similar problem try plugging in your HDD quicker and see if it helps.

Speedster, Jan 30, 2016
  6. lmaneke Win User
    Hmm good catch. I'll keep that in mind

lmaneke, Jan 30, 2016
  7. arachnaut Win User
    I have found this to be as well. The USB 3 signals are behind the USB 2 pins and sometimes the USB metal shell is a little too long.

I use USBTreeView to see the port speed.

USB Device Tree Viewer

arachnaut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB 3.0 port transfer speed on HP Laptop not exceeding 40 MBPS - Similar Threads - USB port transfer

2. My hp laptops usb ports are not recognizing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hp laptops usb ports are not recognizing: I sent in my laptop to get repaired and now that I got it back my usb ports are not recognizing any usb flash drives. Note I also went into the master system of the computer to see if anything needed to be updated and everything was up to date so now I've been lost trying to...
  3. My hp laptops usb ports are not recognizing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My hp laptops usb ports are not recognizing: I sent in my laptop to get repaired and now that I got it back my usb ports are not recognizing any usb flash drives. Note I also went into the master system of the computer to see if anything needed to be updated and everything was up to date so now I've been lost trying to...
  4. My hp laptops usb ports are not recognizing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Intel USB controller based USB ports transfer speed abnormal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel USB controller based USB ports transfer speed abnormal: I know it's sound like an Intel hardware or software driver related topic, but since this issue only occurred in Windows 11, and the USB extensible host controller driver is provided by Microsoft according to device's property information in Windows Device Manager, I guess...
  6. Intel USB controller based USB ports transfer speed abnormal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel USB controller based USB ports transfer speed abnormal: I know it's sound like an Intel hardware or software driver related topic, but since this issue only occurred in Windows 11, and the USB extensible host controller driver is provided by Microsoft according to device's property information in Windows Device Manager, I guess...
  7. cannot exceed 100 mbps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot exceed 100 mbps: 6/22/2020 I subscribe to Spectrum for their ultra fast internet. Their tech came to my house and said that he measured a speed of 400 plus mbps at the modem. He said the refurbished router that Spectrum also provided may not be performing to max and that I should purchase a...
  8. 0 Mbps download

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    0 Mbps download: Hi I'm transferring a large file to a hard drive, and it was transferring just fine(~60mbps) but then the "remaining items" hit 0 with 0 bytes left. My speed started to say 0 bytes per second, and it said estimated time 5 seconds remaining. But new files keep showing up in...
  9. USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...: I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then drops again...
  10. USB 3 transfer speed falling after 10 seconds?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3 transfer speed falling after 10 seconds?: So I've had a lot of trouble with USB3 - I've never really had the consistent transfer speed it's supposed to provide. I know that initially the RAM caches the transfer which is why it starts very high, then falls, but mine is falling to sub-20MBs. As in, copying TO the...