Windows 10: USB 3.0 question : data backup between 2 external hard drives

Discus and support USB 3.0 question : data backup between 2 external hard drives in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi All, I need to copy all my data / photos / videos / docs etc. from one hard drive to another so I have a backup in case of a crash. It's about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Walsh373, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Walsh373 Win User

USB 3.0 question : data backup between 2 external hard drives

Hi All,

I need to copy all my data / photos / videos / docs etc. from one hard drive to another so I have a backup in case of a crash.

It's about 4.5 TB which according to most will take DAYS to copy over via USB 2.0.

I see online that I can buy a converter, but if I'm using 2 external hard drives and a desktop computer as the in between, which converters do I need to order? I.e. one for the desktop tower and one for each of the hard drives? I.e. 3 conversion kits? I'm not sure how to configure, could someone please spell out which specific things I need to buy and how to configure?

Thanks

:)

Walsh373, Mar 17, 2016
  2. MLBusa Win User

Ian 3.0 port running as usb 2.0 in Windows 10 how can I speed it backup

Takes 22 hours to write 450gb to new external hard drive doing image backup. Tested port and it states it is a 2.0 instead of USB 3.0 as it is supposed to be

MLBusa, Mar 17, 2016
  3. JJLongVP Win User
    0x80070002 Error SOLVED!

At least I solved it on my computer after many hours of posts on this forum and trying different suggestions offered by other contributors.

My system is a new Dell Win 10, Home and Student. I had been trying to do the MS Backup to my Seagate external drive through the Control Panel, Backup and Restore (Windows 7). After a couple of minutes the procedure aborted and I received the 0x80070002
    error.

Here's how I solved it. I had been using the USB 3.0 port on the back of my desktop computer to power the external hard drive. Out of sheer frustration I plugged the external drive into the USB 2.0 port on the front of the computer. The Backup went smoothly
    and in less than 1 hour, the Backup and Image File had been created on the external drive.

Why the USB 3.0 wouldn't work is beyond me. I did receive a "File missing" message also during my failure attempts. Thinking the USB 3.0 driver might not be up to date, I went into Device Manager but was told the USB 3.0 extensible Host Controller was
    up to date.

Does anyone have any ideas why 3.0 is not working?

JJLongVP, Mar 17, 2016
  4. Philgo Win User

Philgo, Mar 17, 2016
  5. Walsh373 Win User
    Thanks. I'll look into it

Walsh373, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB 3.0 question : data backup between 2 external hard drives - Similar Threads - USB question data

2. External Backup Drive Question...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Backup Drive Question...: I'm using a Toshiba external backup drive. I'm backing up my entire computer but 1 folder says it's going to take another 12 hours before completing. I don't have that kind of time so I would like to stop it. However, it's already downloaded thousands of files from it. I...
  3. External Backup Drive Question...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Backup Drive Question...: I'm using a Toshiba external backup drive. I'm backing up my entire computer but 1 folder says it's going to take another 12 hours before completing. I don't have that kind of time so I would like to stop it. However, it's already downloaded thousands of files from it. I...
  4. External Backup Drive Question...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  6. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  7. I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives

I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives: I need to move data from one external hard drive to another external hard drive on windows 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-move-data-on-2-external-hard-drives-back/9bad5cc4-c5d9-4658-bbff-a0b4192ef78f
  8. backup to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to external hard drive: The backup to external hard drive will not perform. All kinds of errors and it says it did not backup. What? Am I so stupid that I cannot tell it what drive to back up to? It wants to choose for me and then does not like it's choice. Where are the real settings so I can...
  9. Windows 10 Backup to 2 External Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup to 2 External Hard Drives: I would like to use the Windows 10 backup option to back my files up on two separate external hard drives to have multiple copies in case one drive fails. Windows only recognizes one external hard drive for system back up at a time. If I de-select drive 1, select drive 2...
  10. USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.

USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.: USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3. In a partitioned drive it only shows one partition. With thumb drives it works okay. I posted this last week but I was hit by scammers, that`s why I`m posting again. Thanks in advance....