Windows 10: USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update

Discus and support USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All, First thread on these forums but noted a few posts with similar but not quite the same symptoms. I have a 1TB Seagate external USB3 HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve Hunter, Oct 5, 2016.

1. USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update

Hi All,

First thread on these forums but noted a few posts with similar but not quite the same symptoms.

I have a 1TB Seagate external USB3 HDD (not an ssd just a normal spinner). On two Win 10 devices I am now unable to access the contained data after the anniversary update, whereas I was able to before.

Specifically the Device receives power (gets its little blue LED lit up), windows detects the device in Devices and Printers and in Device Manager and Disk Manager. Seems promising so far right?

My Computer shows absolutely nothing relating to the drive, and it used to map to either G or E depending on which of my devices I used. I do not use any virtual drives and it is currently my only usb storage device of any kind.

Brief history on what I've tried so far:
    Reboot machine with drive inserted, and left out - no change
    Allow windows troubleshooting: drivers appear up to date and nothing specifically shows amiss or with a warning ! in device manager.
    Using diskpart in an elevated cmd prompt you can start to see the issue:

USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update [​IMG]

which Disk manager agrees with. That being said I am unable to specify any options on the sole partition on this drive except for "delete volume" and "Help", the rest are greyed out, but the two unallocated spaces have everything available I would expect to see. (yes I play Spore - pls don't judge)

USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update [​IMG]

I am unable to create a volume in diskpart as the selected disk is not dynamic. I can specify the disk as dynamic, but unsure as to the consequences of any data residing on the drive currently. While its not end-of-the-world stuff if I have to format and start over I would ideally like to keep said data intact if possible.

I have checked the HKLM registry for upper and lower keys but couldn't not find anything within. done a numerous reboots and checked front vs rear usb ports (2 and 3). I've added the option to see hidden items in Device Manager and can see lots of volumes that are greyed out but I am unable to remove them (the option is there it just does nothing).

Hoping a bright spark on these forums can suggest some things to try and get this working. I am unsure if the Upgrade to anniversary is the cause (as the config of the drive looks pretty funky anyway).

Many Thanks,
    Steve

:)

Steve Hunter, Oct 5, 2016

2. I have installed Windows 10 in internal HDD, now I wanted to install another copy of Windows 10 on a External/USB HDD.

Original Title: Multi HDD boot Windows 10.

I have installed in internal HDD Windows 10.

Now I wanted to install another copy of Windows 10 on a External/USB HDD.

(installing was a massacre .. but lt's leave it).

Now trying to boot from external HDD is always : "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE"

When there is only one HDD (internal) everything works perfect.

Any idea how to fix this ?

using SAMSUNG N880Z

JaRoD_Sebastian, Oct 5, 2016
  3. RudiEvert Win User
    My external HDD is not detected by my desktop after windows 10 update?

My external HDD is not detected by my desktop after windows 10 update? I tested my HDD on other computers and its working fine.

What is the cause of this problem and how do I fix this?

Original Post :External HDD

RudiEvert, Oct 5, 2016
  4. USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update

Hi Sorry for the shameless bump, but would like to have an answer here, haven't found an answer online yet and it's doing my nut in!

Steve Hunter, Oct 15, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    the partition you are selecting is already created and is set as Primary, so you cannot create a volume out of it because it is already a volume/partition. However it doesn't have a drive letter and may not be formatted.
    First try a third party utility like Find and Mount or Partition Manager.
    If you are trying to recover data, use the free Test Disk program. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files.
    If you just want to regain the drive again, delete the partition and create a New Simple Volume, and Format it NTFS

spunk, Oct 15, 2016
  6. Thank you Spunk, I am trying Partition wizard at the moment, and will try Test Disk if that does not prove successful.

What I am also hoping to understand is what has physically gone wrong, while the symptoms are clear enough for anyone with half a sense for ICT issues, I am not really seeing what the root cause is.

Is this for example due to physical damage on the drive, a software corruption within the partition table or some other "soft" damage I have caused to due to poor practice and maintenance?

If anyone can explain this element (long shot maybe but it really grates at me not knowing - plus hinders my ability to seek answers) I would very much appreciate it.

Steve Hunter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update

1. USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update - Similar Threads - USB external HDD

2. External HDD not detecting after Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD not detecting after Windows update: After the recent Windows update my HDD stopped getting detected. It had happened once before too but that time I had had to change the idle time and it had gotten fixed. So, I naturally thought that the update must have reset that setting and went and checked. It was fine. I...
  3. External HDD not detecting after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD not detecting after Windows update: After the recent Windows update my HDD stopped getting detected. It had happened once before too but that time I had had to change the idle time and it had gotten fixed. So, I naturally thought that the update must have reset that setting and went and checked. It was fine. I...
  4. External HDD not detecting after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External HDD not detected in Windows

External HDD not detected in Windows: In Windows DiskPart say "Status: Invalid". How to fix it without data loss? The same external HDD works fine in Ubuntu but not detected in Windows. I had this HDD in computer and put it out of my computer because i have now only SSD's in computer. 182450
  6. External HDD not detected in Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD not detected in Windows: In Windows DiskPart say "Status: Invalid". How to fix it without data loss? The same external HDD works fine in Ubuntu but not detected in Windows. I had this HDD in computer and put it out of my computer because i have now only SSD's in computer. 182450
  7. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  8. HDD inaccessible

HDD inaccessible: I have a HDD that is now inaccessible and would appreciate some advice before I take the next step. My system has: -main SSD (C:) which has the Win system and all frequently used programs. -secondary HDD (D:) which has all data and infrequently used programs. Briefly here...
  9. Windows detects USB 3.0 external HDD as uninitialized

Windows detects USB 3.0 external HDD as uninitialized: After Anniversary or Creator's update (not too sure which as laptop did not connect to external HDDs for some time), my laptop fails to access all 3 of my external HDDs (500GB WD My Passport, 1TB WD Elements, 2TB My Passport Ultra). All of them can be connected and safely...
  10. External HDD not detected

External HDD not detected: As I got the new Lenovo ideapad Miix 310, I tried to connect my 2.5inch Samsung M3 Portable to it, because I have some installation stuff on it. And while the HDD gets powered up and (usually) listed in Device Manager, it does not show in My Computer. It also doesn't show in...