Windows 10: USB 3 information

Discus and support USB 3 information in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Having just acquired a USB 3 Hub and a couple of devices for my 2-in-1 hybrid PC, I would welcome some information about their operation. If the Hub or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by clayto, Aug 24, 2017.

1. clayto Win User

USB 3 information

Having just acquired a USB 3 Hub and a couple of devices for my 2-in-1 hybrid PC, I would welcome some information about their operation. If the Hub or device, such as a card reader / writer or DVD burner, is plugged into the PC's native USB sockets will they run at USB 3 speeds? I suspect not, if it is not a U3 motherboard? Is this right?

However, I do have one USB 3 socket with a USB 3.1 cable, for charging. I was told it does not transmit data, or if it does it will only be speed 2. But I can read memory cards OK with it. I do not know if the images are transmitting as USB 2 or 3, it could be 3. Should I be easily able to detect a difference in speed? The images load almost instantly even when plugged in to other sockets. I have not tried the effect on the Hub yet as I assumed I would need another cable with the special USB 3 plug, and have just it this moment realized I do have an appropriate cable so I will try that. now. I guess that I might notice speed differences with the USB 3 DVD reader / writer I am expecting in about a week.

I hope this makes some sense?

:)

clayto, Aug 24, 2017
  2. Pavan1709 Win User

Does Win 10 load USB 3.0 driver during startup?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

I would like to inform you that removable disk will load in BIOS and USB 3.0 will supported by windows 10 I would suggest you to check system configuration before buying.

refer the link below for more information.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/install-usb-3-usb-devices

Hope this information helps.

Thanks.

Pavan1709, Aug 24, 2017
  3. Please help me connect my laptop to Internet with a N73 device

Thanks Franckji

Information of modem are;

Agere Syatems HDA Modem COM3

Nokia N70 USB MODEM COM4

Nokia N70 USB MODEM #2 Not present

Nokia N70 USB MODEM #3 Not present

sheetalshah12, Aug 24, 2017
  4. sygnus21 Win User

USB 3 information

If the laptop (not familiar with 2-in-1 desktops) supports USB 3, and most modern laptops do, and your devices, as well as the cable, is USB 3.0, then you're good to go.

It basically works like this, in order to get 3.0 speeds, everything in the chain (port, cable, device) needs to be 3.0. If one item is say 2.0, then everything in that chain will run at 2.0 speeds. Going the other way, if the port and device doesn't support 3.1 speeds, than the device will run at the slowest speed the in the chain. Thus if device and cable is 3.0, but the port is 3.1, the speeds will run at 3.0.

Hope this helps.

sygnus21, Aug 24, 2017
  5. Phone Man Win User
    Check the ports on your PC. Black plastic on inside is 2.0, Blue is 3.0.
    You can download USB View program and it will show lots of information about each port and will show the speed it is running when a device is plugged in.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Aug 24, 2017
  6. clayto Win User
    Thanks both, that is helpful. The one thing I am not clear about is the USB 3.1 cable and connections. The connections are blue at one end but not the other ---- a micro USB 3, type C, and not blue. The C port is also not blue inside. I can run the 3.1 Hub OK from it, but don't yet know if it runs faster than 2. If not, it is still good to know my Cube 10.1 inch 2-in-1 tablet PC has another working USB source, 4 in all in addition to Hubs. This is unusual I think, for 10.1 devices. (There is a new MS Surface costing thousands more with only 1 USB port). Being able to connect and expand seems good compensation for some of the limitations of a 2-in-1.

clayto, Aug 26, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    In addition to the blue parts of USB 3 there may be the USB trident logo near the port, if it is USB 3 it will usually have an SS on it. SS = SuperSpeed

Berton, Aug 26, 2017
  8. Phone Man Win User

USB 3 information

Type C plugs/connectors are not color coded but is a different shape. My guess is your hub will run at USB 3.0 speed.

Did you try that program I linked to and see what speed that port shows with your hub plugged in?

USB 2 = High Speed
    USB 3 = superspeed
    USB 3.1 = superspeed+

Here is what it looks like on my system with my external disk.

USB 3 information [​IMG]

Phone Man, Aug 27, 2017
  9. clayto Win User
    No, neither are visable.

clayto, Aug 27, 2017
  10. clayto Win User
    Here is the USB Tree. I will be interested in your interpretation.

clayto, Aug 27, 2017
  11. Good explanation.
    Not all USB 3 ports are blue. For example, all four USB 3 ports on my Dell Precision are black, just like USB 2 ports. The difference is, they all have SS near the USB trident symbol.

ArazelEternal, Aug 28, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    While there's always exceptions to the rule, 90+ percent of USB 3.0 ports are blue. However, to add to what you say, my 2017 Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga X1 features 3 USB 3.0 ports and they're all black; but I suspect that's in keeping with the theme of the notebook.

But again, most USB 3.0 ports and 3.0 cable ends are blue (depending on cable end).

sygnus21, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB 3 information

1. USB 3 information - Similar Threads - USB information

2. Lost information by creating usb start for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost information by creating usb start for Windows 11: I have created a partition with enough capacity for USB starting disk and I selected that specific partition, but Windows has formated the Whole USB unit, deleting all valuable information.1 How can I recover that?2 You should inform properly if that is the way windows works,...
  3. Lost information by creating usb start for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost information by creating usb start for Windows 11: I have created a partition with enough capacity for USB starting disk and I selected that specific partition, but Windows has formated the Whole USB unit, deleting all valuable information.1 How can I recover that?2 You should inform properly if that is the way windows works,...
  4. Lost information by creating usb start for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Is my USB damaged or the storage information false

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my USB damaged or the storage information false: I have an old 64gb pendrive which now when plugged in shows 62.4gb as storage and even chdsk command run on cmd shows the same however when loading a file on the drive the file gets overwritten and on checking with h2testw it shows that the drive storage can only hold 1600 mb...
  6. How to assign location information dedicated port number to all the USB ports

How to assign location information dedicated port number to all the USB ports: Hi,How does windows assigns location information for the USB port. Port no is defined by Windows.Does this port information remains same for all the physical ports of same make and same model? How can I change the location information for the USB ports.Hemadri...
  7. Copying network information to usb flash drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying network information to usb flash drive.: Hello, I wish, as the title implies, to copy network information to a usb drive so that I can insert USB drive into my Canon printer to enable the printer to connect to the WiFi network. This has occurred after getting a new WiFi signal. The printer does not seem to allow...
  8. Trying to install Windows from USB, am getting the "windows could not collect information...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to install Windows from USB, am getting the "windows could not collect information...: I downloaded the image and extracted the files onto an USB. Then I send them to someone who could not access their PC. They're getting this error. Any ideas how to fix it? submitted by /u/gina20_ [link] [comments]...
  9. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB "No socket information available"?

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB "No socket information available"?: Please look at the pictures! Thanks ;) Hello, Since I downloaded a driver update (Focusrite_USB_4.63.24.564) from the official Focusrite (Downloads | Customer Portal), Windows 10 shows me "No socket information available". My boxes (KRK Rokit 5, but still works, do I...
  10. Program which gives informations about usb memory card reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program which gives informations about usb memory card reader: Hello, I'm searching for a program which gives technical informations (chipset vendor & model etc ...) about USB card readers, like Kingston MobileLite and others. AIDA, HwInfo, Speccy, CrystalDisk or HDTune don't give these informations. Thanks 150263