Windows 10: USB 3 transfer speed falling after 10 seconds?

Discus and support USB 3 transfer speed falling after 10 seconds? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I've had a lot of trouble with USB3 - I've never really had the consistent transfer speed it's supposed to provide. I know that initially the RAM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DannyG13, Jul 20, 2016.

1. DannyG13 Win User

USB 3 transfer speed falling after 10 seconds?

So I've had a lot of trouble with USB3 - I've never really had the consistent transfer speed it's supposed to provide.

I know that initially the RAM caches the transfer which is why it starts very high, then falls, but mine is falling to sub-20MBs.

As in, copying TO the flash drive - I never get the 70MB+ speeds USB3 is supposed to be capable of. Sometimes starts there but quickly drops. And yes, my flash drive is plugged into USB3 slots.

This is the case with both flash drives I've tested on this system - and yes, my drivers are USB3 too. And it happens whatever the size of the file.

What can cause a drastic drop in transfer speed?

EDIT: just to point out copying from the drive to the PC is perfect - 130MB+. It's copying TO the drive, that's the problem. Cheers.

:)

DannyG13, Jul 20, 2016

2. High speed UHS-II SD cards

Does anyone know if UHS-II is enabled via USB 3 in Windows 10 ?

MY UHS-II cards transfer data at 150MBs (and worked under Windows 7) however, under Windows 10, data transfer locks up at about 20%. Slower speed cards (e.g. 30MBs) work fine via USB 3 and USB 2 ~ and the high speed cards work via USB 2 (at lower transfer
    speeds). Maybe UHS-II isn't enabled yet for Windows 10 ~ one wonders why !?

BarryColquhoun, Jul 20, 2016
  3. usb 3.0 issue

after udating to win 10,my wd hard disk does not get recognized on my usb 3 port while my sandisk pendrive get detected on it but with very low transfer speed of around 10 mbps.hdd get detected on usb 2 port by the way .hope u know the soluton.

NikhilBobate, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

That's about right. Most USB flash drives are limited by the speed of the flash memory in them, and most of them cannot write as fast as the interface will allow. Can you give the brand and model numbers of the drives?

Mystere, Jul 20, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    On many drives the Read and Write Speeds are not the same , read can be quite high but write is usually another story especially with cheaper drives.

Kbird, Jul 21, 2016
  6. DannyG13 Win User
    I believe the fact my drives are extremely inexpensive has contributed to this. Read speed is cheap, write on the other hand is not. The best one I have is a 64GB Sandisk SDCZ43-064G-G46 - literally about £10. Honestly thought I'd get high write speeds but evidently not! The benchmarks I've seen online suggest this type of flash drive writes around 15-30MB or so.

DannyG13, Jul 23, 2016
  7. DannyG13 Win User
    Yeah, 'cheaper' was my downfall here I think!

DannyG13, Jul 23, 2016
  8. Mystere Win User

Mystere, Jul 23, 2016
  9. DannyG13 Win User
    That's impressive. 300MB write speed?!

DannyG13, Jul 23, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    Actually it was more in the upper 200's, but still yeah, it was quite surprising.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB 3 transfer speed falling after 10 seconds? - Similar Threads - USB transfer speed

2. Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10: I had the same slow speed problem as discussed in other threads. My problem was exactly to same. Slow speed 355 kb and then down to 0. I did a full format on the drive it took about 4 days but now the drive works properly. I was able to use a different USB drive which worked...
  3. Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10: I had the same slow speed problem as discussed in other threads. My problem was exactly to same. Slow speed 355 kb and then down to 0. I did a full format on the drive it took about 4 days but now the drive works properly. I was able to use a different USB drive which worked...
  4. Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Slow speed transfer USB 3.0 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow speed transfer USB 3.0 on Windows 10: I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ALC6 laptop but right now I'm facing a issue with Windows 10.When I try to transfer files to my external drive which is a WD Elements 2TB using the USB 3.0 port, i only get about 87MB/s to 104MB/s at maximum speed transfer. It turns out I have...
  6. USB transfer speed has slowed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB transfer speed has slowed: When I bought my new laptop, my 2.0 USB connected to the 3.0 port would give around 35MB/s speed but after a few months I plugged in a USB and started transferring 2GB mp4 file to USB but now my transfer speed of 2.0 USB connected to 3.0 port is at 3 MB/s.Need help Thanks in...
  7. Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed: Hi, I recently bought a Seagate 5TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch hard drive. I have a few other drives of the same make and type. I'm trying to transfer 2TB worth of data between the hard drives. The 2 hard drives are connected to a USB 3.0 Hub. When transferring...
  8. transfer speed drops after few second

transfer speed drops after few second: Hi i need help with transfer speed, because after few second of tranfering speed goes to very slow . thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-speed-drops-after-few-second/297b6751-3708-44b7-ab6b-dfada7280186
  9. USB 3 is not runing usb 3 speeds on my board

USB 3 is not runing usb 3 speeds on my board: So i had to get intel chipset drivers for my board from intel my board is a msi z77a-g45 all drivers show working and functioning here is a picture of the drivers installed, i can't figure out why all my usb 3 devices are not running at usb 3 speed they are running at usb 2.0...
  10. USB 3.0 card reader fall back to USB 2.0 speed on windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB 3.0 card reader fall back to USB 2.0 speed on windows 10: I have 2 desktops (with completely different configurations) and 2 USB3.0 card readers - Lexar Professional and Transcend card readers, paired with Lexar 1000x SD card. The weird problem is that sometimes, the transfer of my RAW images will dip to usb2.0 speeds (around...