Windows 10: USB autorun

Discus and support USB autorun in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a freshly installed Win10 - now upgraded to v1607 - that shows the contents of USB sticks (in a USB3 socket) when the stick is inserted - THAT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sebastian42, Dec 27, 2016.

1. USB autorun

I have a freshly installed Win10 - now upgraded to v1607 - that shows the contents of USB sticks (in a USB3 socket) when the stick is inserted - THAT is what I want. I also have Win10 upgrade from Win7 - still at v1511 because the v1607 crippled it according to a Microsoft consultant, who rolled it back for me to v1511 - that has NO USB3 sockets. USB sticks do NOT autorun to display their contents, as in the first mentioned PC. The Settings in the latter are for 'Autorun - display contents' but it does NOT happen. Is there an autorun.inf that I might add to the USB sticks to make them 'open' upon insertion ?

:)

Sebastian42, Dec 27, 2016

2. Autorun on a USB is not working.

Hi Rowan,

I suggest you to install the latest Windows updates and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Windows Update helps keep your computer up to date with the latest system updates and drivers which can resolve the issue you are facing. You can check Windows Update manually to help ensure you have the latest updates.

1. In search type
    Windows Updates

2. Click on
    Windows Updates

3. Click on
    Check for updates and install the latest windows updates.

I also suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

Here are the steps:

1. Go to
    Settings.

2. Choose
    Accounts and then select Family and other users.

3. Select
    add someone else on this PC.

4. Enter a user name and hit next.

5. Click on
    Finish.

6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.

Kindly let us know the status to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Dec 27, 2016
  3. Autorun on a USB is not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know if you have installed all the pending updates on your device.

Also, check with the sound drivers as well.

I suggest you to check with the setting for AutoPlay and check if it helps.

Even if you have turned on the AutoPlay option, there might be some option chosen Choose AutoPlay defaults. I suggest you to check with those options.

Steps:

• Press Windows key, type AutoPlay and click on AutoPlay settings.
    • To enable AutoPlay, move the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices button to On.
    • Next you can choose and set your AutoPlay defaults.
    For Removable drives, the following options are available from the drop-down menu:

• Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time
    • Configure this drive for backup (File History)
    • Configure storage settings (Settings).

For Memory Cards, the options available are:

• Play video files using alternate
      software
    • Play using Windows Media Player
    • Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time.
    Set your options and exit.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Ruth Buruga, Dec 27, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

USB autorun

@Sebastian42, the settings for this are the same in 1607 and 1511. In Settings>Devices>AutoPlay 'Use AutoPlay for all media devices' should be ON and 'Removable drive' should be set for 'Open folder to view files (File Explorer)'. Set like this both 1607 and 1511 should automatically show the contents of a USB when inserted. If it doesn't, try changing these settings to something else then back to what you want.

5. Berton Win User
    I have a couple of Thumb drives marked as USB 3 [blue in the plug end] that will not work in USB 2 ports, apparently they don't "fall back" properly. Have also worked with a client's older HP Officejet that would print only half a page before giving a "lost communication" error when plugged into a USB 3 port on her new computer, works fine in a USB 2 port. A basic thing I have to keep in mind is that most computers' BIOS will support USB 2 ports but need drivers installed in the Operating System to get the same support for USB 3.

Berton, Dec 27, 2016
  6. I now know that the success is related to the PC and NOT to the version of W10, or whether the USBs are 3 or 2. On the W10 v1511 upgrade from Win7, changing the settings, rebooting and then resetting them to what I want, does NOT produce success.
    So I come back to the suggestion of adding an autorun.inf to my USBs to make them open - as IS possible.

Sebastian42, Dec 28, 2016
  7. I am aware of the power of USB, but also that it can be 'temperamental'. Both PCs can handle USB3.0 sticks. One displays their contents upon insertion and the other does not.

Sebastian42, Dec 28, 2016
  8. TrustMe Win User

USB autorun

Try this
    Open an Administrative command prompt. Press Enter after each command

diskpart
    automount enable
    exit
    exit

See if that works

Credit Steve C for the answer

TrustMe, Dec 28, 2016
  9. I have very little time right now - but I did do as suggested, and tried one USB stick - NO improvement - thought I'd post that before I leave.

Sebastian42, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB autorun

1. USB autorun - Similar Threads - USB autorun

2. Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...: Title: "USB Autorun Not Working Without Installation of Third-Party Software"Description: Hi everyone,I'm encountering an issue with USB autorun on my Windows computer. I have a specific file on a USB drive that I want to automatically open when I plug in the drive. However,...
  3. Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...: Title: "USB Autorun Not Working Without Installation of Third-Party Software"Description: Hi everyone,I'm encountering an issue with USB autorun on my Windows computer. I have a specific file on a USB drive that I want to automatically open when I plug in the drive. However,...
  4. Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive: An autorun.inf file is a text file that can be used by the Autorun and AutoPlay components of Microsoft Windows. When a USB drive is plugged into a USB port, an autorun USB dialog appears that prompts you to do certain operations: print images, run Windows Media Players, or...
  5. Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive

Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive: An autorun.inf file is a text file that can be used by the Autorun and AutoPlay components of Microsoft Windows. When a USB drive is plugged into a USB port, an autorun USB dialog appears that prompts you to do certain operations: print images, run Windows Media Players, or...
  6. HELP AUTORUNS HAS DISABLED MY USB PORTS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP AUTORUNS HAS DISABLED MY USB PORTS: Please help I was given instructions from a game company for a fix which would fix the game. It involved Microsoft autoruns and they told me to uncheck all boxes that were yellow or red. I did this restarted my pc and now I can’t access it because none of my USB ports work...
  7. HELP AUTORUNS HAS DISABLED MY USB PORTS

HELP AUTORUNS HAS DISABLED MY USB PORTS: Please help I was given instructions from a game company for a fix which would fix the game. It involved Microsoft autoruns and they told me to uncheck all boxes that were yellow or red. I did this restarted my pc and now I can’t access it because none of my USB ports work...
  8. HELP AUTORUNS HAS DISABLED MY USB PORTS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. How to create an Autorun file for your USB/DVD/CD

in Windows 10 News
    How to create an Autorun file for your USB/DVD/CD: [ATTACH]If you have created a program and want to let it autorun when someone […] This article How to create an Autorun file for your USB/DVD/CD first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. How do I automatically run a batch file when a device is connected? (not autorun usb)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I automatically run a batch file when a device is connected? (not autorun usb): I recently discovered scrcpy on android. For those that don't know its a great way to remotely control your android phone on pc. Latency is really low and framerate is smooth. I'm looking for a seamless and automatic way of running scrcpy command as soon as I connect my...