Windows 10: USB Backup drive location

Discus and support USB Backup drive location in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 File manager confuses me. My Seagate 5TB external drive is in 2 places on the left column. First it is on the same outline level as This PC,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TerraDon, Nov 30, 2015.

1. TerraDon Win User

USB Backup drive location

Windows 10 File manager confuses me. My Seagate 5TB external drive is in 2 places on the left column. First it is on the same outline level as This PC, One Drive, and Quick Access and just above Network. Expand This PC and it is also there as drive (E). Curious minds want to know...why the doppelganger?

:)

TerraDon, Nov 30, 2015
  2. qinada Win User

Win 10 Image Restore from Network Location

I want to clarify the above mentioned issue: cannot copy the image to an external usb drive as there is no option to point to an image location on a USB drive. If your USB drive is big enough, the free space is at
    least 64GB, or you can use a 128GB USB drive, technically, you can
    backup windows to USB
    . Also, the image restore from network location you describe has no problem as far as I'm concern.

qinada, Nov 30, 2015
  3. qinada Win User
    Backup

Hi, you can use Windows built-in backup and restore tool to backup system to USB drive. But you have to prepare a large size USB drive: at least larger or equal to 64GB, or you will get the error message which says: The drive is not a valid backup location.

You can also
    backup Windows to USB
    drive with a third party software without worrying the size limitation.

qinada, Nov 30, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Apparently MS added the feature for users who open File Explorer via 'Quick Access' exclusively instead of 'This PC' so that external drives will still show in the navigation pane for quick access.

If you wish to remove them:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Edwin, Nov 30, 2015
  5. TerraDon Win User

TerraDon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Backup drive location - Similar Threads - USB Backup drive

2. How to convert a backup 2307 PRAM usb drive to normal

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to convert a backup 2307 PRAM usb drive to normal: I created back up of my data in a usb drive. For certain reasons I cannot restore that data. Now whenever I connect y usb it does not show up. it displays 2307 PRAM in device manager and show "No media" . Please reply fast...
  3. Best USB drive for weekly backups?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best USB drive for weekly backups?: I've been browsing around for USB sticks to backup important files to, and am completely lost in the entire market. I am looking for 256-512gb capacity, here are a couple i found. I have no idea what i should be looking for in USB sticks. Does anyone have experience and could...
  4. File History Restore - "Item Not Found - This is No Longer Located In [Backup Drive]"

File History Restore - "Item Not Found - This is No Longer Located In [Backup Drive]": In Windows 10, I am having trouble restoring files from File History. I want to restore files from an old Win 10 PC to a new Win 10 PC using File History. (The hard drive on the old PC has died). The File History is located on an external USB hard drive. I can start the...
  5. Location is not accessible. Access is denied. USB portable hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Location is not accessible. Access is denied. USB portable hard drive.: I'm running Windows 10 Pro (10.0.17134) on a 3 month old HP Z Book laptop. I'm trying to use an external hard drive (HP 500 GB) that worked this morning. I'm now getting an error: Location is not available. Access is denied. I see this is a longstanding problem, going...
  6. The drive is not a valid backup location error on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    The drive is not a valid backup location error on Windows: [ATTACH] USB drives were used for stored small files, perhaps music and videos too. The usual size was 2GB or 4GB. With time, they have advanced quite a lot and it is common to find USB sticks with a capacity of [...] This post The drive is not a valid backup location error...
  7. Can't backup files on 64 gig USB drive

Can't backup files on 64 gig USB drive: My SanDisk USB drive is fairly new, I use it just to backup my files on my computer. I got a message telling me to "Reconnect storage device", and that's what I did. But doing that didn't change anything, and I'm getting the same message when I try to backup my files....
  8. Can't locate documents on USB flash drive on my laptop

Can't locate documents on USB flash drive on my laptop: I plugged in a USB flash drive into my laptop and cannot find the documents coming up anywhere. one suggestion was to do a system scan(?). It said to press the Microsoft picture key +X, then click on command, then type in sfc/scannow. However, when I click on the Microsoft...
  9. Best USB Hub Choice - Run Multiple USB 3.0 Drives for Various Backups?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best USB Hub Choice - Run Multiple USB 3.0 Drives for Various Backups?: Pardon yet another, but I seem to breaking a lot of new ground this week. I bought 3x extra external drives to backup File History, Macrium and a manuscript writing programme I use to - the plan was a dedicated drive for each purpose. Add the all USB connecting router,...
  10. Seagate Backup Plus USB drive - speed discrepency

Seagate Backup Plus USB drive - speed discrepency: Hello - I have this 1TB USB drive currently attached to my PC and it's working normally. By this I mean no errors and reasonable performance. It's USB 3 capable, but the motherboard is USB 2 only. The system is recent but modest, AMD FX 4300 paired with an ASRock...