Windows 10: USB Backup drive location

Discus and support USB Backup drive location in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 File manager confuses me. My Seagate 5TB external drive is in 2 places on the left column. First it is on the same outline level as This PC,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TerraDon, Nov 30, 2015.

1. TerraDon Win User

USB Backup drive location

Windows 10 File manager confuses me. My Seagate 5TB external drive is in 2 places on the left column. First it is on the same outline level as This PC, One Drive, and Quick Access and just above Network. Expand This PC and it is also there as drive (E). Curious minds want to know...why the doppelganger?

:)

TerraDon, Nov 30, 2015
  2. qinada Win User

Win 10 Image Restore from Network Location

I want to clarify the above mentioned issue: cannot copy the image to an external usb drive as there is no option to point to an image location on a USB drive. If your USB drive is big enough, the free space is at
    least 64GB, or you can use a 128GB USB drive, technically, you can
    backup windows to USB
    . Also, the image restore from network location you describe has no problem as far as I'm concern.

qinada, Nov 30, 2015
  3. qinada Win User
    Backup

Hi, you can use Windows built-in backup and restore tool to backup system to USB drive. But you have to prepare a large size USB drive: at least larger or equal to 64GB, or you will get the error message which says: The drive is not a valid backup location.

You can also
    backup Windows to USB
    drive with a third party software without worrying the size limitation.

qinada, Nov 30, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Apparently MS added the feature for users who open File Explorer via 'Quick Access' exclusively instead of 'This PC' so that external drives will still show in the navigation pane for quick access.

If you wish to remove them:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Edwin, Nov 30, 2015
  5. TerraDon Win User

TerraDon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Backup drive location - Similar Threads - USB Backup drive

2. HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem: I have a USB pendrive named x796w which is of 128GBWith USB 3.2, I have purchased it so that I could create a system image in it, bu when I go to Backup and RestoreWindows 7 and click on "create system image" option then I do not get my pendrive listed in that menu, all other...
  3. HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem: I have a USB pendrive named x796w which is of 128GBWith USB 3.2, I have purchased it so that I could create a system image in it, bu when I go to Backup and RestoreWindows 7 and click on "create system image" option then I do not get my pendrive listed in that menu, all other...
  4. HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11, Backup to USB Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11, Backup to USB Drive.: I upgraded to Windows 11, from Windows 10, and is running successfully.When trying to backup existing files and folders to a USB drive, not all files are backed up:- Documents, Pictures are missing on the drive, and I then had to transfer manually. This creates a doubt as to...
  6. USB flash drive is not a valid backup location for the system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB flash drive is not a valid backup location for the system image: Hello.. I have a usb stick of san disk capacity 204GB. Although it has plenty of space, it does not allow me to create a system image. It sends me the message in the title. on the contrary, another usb stick of my sandiskextreme 3.1 256 GB appears as valid.Can i do something...
  7. usb flash drive "is not a valid backup location "

usb flash drive "is not a valid backup location ": trying to create sys image for new win10, attempt to write to a 64 gb ntfs formatted flash drive formatted with diskpart and rufus, same error "not a valid backup location this seems to be an ongoing problem based on all the comments. what is the resolution? does MS...
  8. Changing location of backup drive

Changing location of backup drive: I want to change the location of my backup drive. How do I do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-location-of-backup-drive/e5de0fde-4bed-4267-94ac-d25fb3c6c153
  9. backup to usb thumb drives?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup to usb thumb drives?: Is it possible to do backups to thumbdrives? If so, is it possible to do those backups with common backup apps such as macrim and/or AOMEI? If so what are the pros and cons? Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU: i7-4770k @350GHz Ram: 16GB Graphics: Radeon 580 8GB vram Winver 1903...
  10. The drive is not a valid backup location error on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    The drive is not a valid backup location error on Windows: [ATTACH] USB drives were used for stored small files, perhaps music and videos too. The usual size was 2GB or 4GB. With time, they have advanced quite a lot and it is common to find USB sticks with a capacity of [...] This post The drive is not a valid backup location error...