Windows 10: USB card reader keep disconnecting

Discus and support USB card reader keep disconnecting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I have a USB card reader that I use with a Micro SD card to record my favorite series from a DVB-T set-top box when at work so I can watch it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by spapakons, Apr 7, 2016.

1. spapakons Win User

USB card reader keep disconnecting

Hello!

I have a USB card reader that I use with a Micro SD card to record my favorite series from a DVB-T set-top box when at work so I can watch it later. While recording it works OK due probably to the low data rate required. The problem arises when I connect it to my computer to copy the video files. This is copying at full speed (about 19MB/sec) and has a problem with large video files. It hardly can finish the copy successfully. It is very likely that some time during the transfer the USB card reader will lose power and disconnect. The workaround is to attend the copy process and pause it for a few seconds at regular intervals until complete. When it fails I can disconnect and reconnect it and then click on "Try again", but this starts from the beginning of the file!

Before I throw it in the waste basket, I thought I'll give it a second chance. Is there any way to control the transfer speed so the card reader can cope with it and not disconnect? Is there a way to give more power to it, to give it priority, whatever? Any possible solution? I hate to attend the transfer and fear that it may fail at any time and have to start all over!

Thank you!

:)

spapakons, Apr 7, 2016
  2. PC01VZ Win User

Window 10 and SD card issues

Got it to recognise the SD card by doing the following;

Shutdown Computer and switched off at mains.

Removed side panel and disconnected the USB/Card reader hardware from the motherboard.

Rebooted computer.

Shutdown Computer and switched off at mains.

Reconnected the USB/Card reader hardware to the motherboard.

Rebooted computer.

Opened device manager and expanded the USB tree. The USB/Card reader had a yellow marker against it saying the driver was out of date.

Updated driver.

Now I went through updating the drivers to all the USB devices last week but got the message that they were already up to date. The date on this driver is June 2015, so fairly recent. The card reader is a Realtek.

Think the problem might have been windows thinking the driver was up to date when in fact it wasn't.

Would disconnecting and reconnecting the hardware force it to have another look at it? I don't know enough about it to say but at least it's working now.

PC01VZ, Apr 7, 2016
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, Version 1511, 10586

Hello Ashish,

thanks for your mail.

To follow the link seems to complicated to me. Isn't there an easier way?

I got a number of USB drives, a USB hub, and some other equipment, like scanner, printer, Lexar USB 3.0 card reader and earphones with microphone connected to my PC.

I disconnected the USB drives, the hub and the card reader and tried to upgrade but got the same error message.

Kind regards

Karl E Schmitt

Karl Schmitt, Apr 7, 2016
  4. spapakons Win User

Hello!

I found a solution and I want to share it to help others. *Smile

I read somewhere else about a utility called Ultracopier which takes over the standard Windows copy/cut-paste procedure and supports pause/resume (for earlier Windows versions that didn't have that), and other features. The most important feature, that actually did the job for me, is SPEED CONTROL! Yes, you can limit the maximum file transfer/copy speed to an exact amount in KB/sec. I noticed that my card reader can work OK with slow Class 4 cards, but cannot make it with faster Class 10 cards and temporarily disconnects and the transfer is screwed. The maximum speed cannot exceed 18MB/sec, so I use Ultracopier to limit transfer speed at about 18000 KB/sec. Now it almost never fails! In the rare occasion that the card reader will lose connection the transfer can resume from that point, while with the standard Windows interface I would have to start from the beginning of the file! It can also be used in earlier Windows versions that resuming is not supported and you would have to start the whole transfer again!

You have to try it! I recommend it to everyone. One side effect I noticed is that all transfers, even from one folder of the hard disk to another, are limited at that speed, but I can just uncheck a simple checkbox to disable the limit and complete these transfers at full speed.

I hope that helps! *Party

spapakons, Apr 27, 2016
Thema:

1. USB card reader keep disconnecting - Similar Threads - USB card reader

2. USB and card reader stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB and card reader stopped working: Both USB ports and card reader stopped working after an update. They do not show up anywhere. I've tried uninstalling USB devices and then restarting. No change. Multiple beeps on startup as when something is connected or disconnected from one of them, but nothing...
  3. USB CF Card reader

USB CF Card reader: I am a photographer and have been using my CF Reader for a while. All of a sudden windows stop seeing it. I have replaced reader with a new one , tried with other cards , and even tried on my surface which gets same updated as my PC. I have unistalled USB drivers an windows...
  4. External USB card reader is not working

External USB card reader is not working: Dears, I have 2 windows laptops and I have a USB memory card reader. On one laptop it works fine while on the other laptop windows can even detect it. What is the problem and how can I fix it? I would be grateful for any help. Thank you...
  5. Network Card Keeps Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Card Keeps Disconnecting: Asus Crosshair VI Hero Motherboard So, my girlfriend is playing a game through Bluestacks. (No, it's not illegal, because it comes from the Google Play Store). The onboard LAN keeps disconnecting, which causes the Map Network Drive on my other computer to lose connection as...
  6. Network Card Keeps Disconnecting

Network Card Keeps Disconnecting: Asus Crosshair VI Hero Motherboard So, my girlfriend is playing a game through Bluestacks. (No, it's not illegal, because it comes from the Google Play Store). The onboard LAN keeps disconnecting, which causes the Map Network Drive on my other computer to lose connection as...
  7. USB Card Reader Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Card Reader Issue: no longer functioning WIN 10 plugged in to USB network port on HP All in one Stopped working 10 days ago...WIN update issue? Saw a security ERROR warning - reconnecting to Z:...SMB2 protocol Connection not restored? How to fix...troubleshooting has not worked...
  8. Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader

Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader: hello, When I was viewing my windows 10 updates I saw some unusual update history of my Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader, (see attachments)I very rarely use this on my Dell Inspiron ONE but thought I would just check it out, and it did of course not work, I tried to find the...
  9. usb card reader?

usb card reader?: i copied files to my card reader ,can you tell me why some files are visible & some are not? thanks it shows they are on there . 88733
  10. Realtek Card Reader Keeps Disappearing

Realtek Card Reader Keeps Disappearing: I've just updated my Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop to Windows 10. All is working fine apart from the built in Realtek card reader. When the PC starts, the card reader appears as a drive and I can read/write to the card. However, the reader will randomly show no content in file...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. card reader keeps disconnecting