Windows 10: USB default ICON has changed in Explorer - how to get it back?

Discus and support USB default ICON has changed in Explorer - how to get it back? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. After a crash while updating, and a "windows 10 selfrepair", my Windows now seens to run okay again. Execpt when I put an USB stick in the PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Burgurne, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Burgurne Win User

USB default ICON has changed in Explorer - how to get it back?

Hello.
    After a crash while updating, and a "windows 10 selfrepair", my Windows now seens to run okay again. Execpt when I put an USB stick in the PC it has an icon for a DVD?? It is not a specific USB-stick. Any USB-stick shows up as a DVD in Explorer and in TotalCommander.

How do I change that back?

:)

Burgurne, Oct 2, 2016

2. Default apps icon has changed to Mail icon in 'Apps and Features' section in Settings after updated to OS build 15063

This issue has started after I upgraded to Creators Update

AraniAranyak, Oct 2, 2016
  3. Default apps icon has changed to Mail icon in 'Apps and Features' section in Settings after updated to OS build 15063

Hi Arani,

If you want to change back the apps icon to default, follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start menu. It's the Windows logo on the bottom left corner of your screen.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Click on Default apps.
    • Click on the app you want to change under the category of Choose default apps.
    • Click on the app you want to make the default.

or
    • Under Choose default apps, you can click Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults to change back all the apps to default.

Let us know if you need further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Acelyn Alc, Oct 2, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Mine also changed recently but I don't even know what the icon I have is supposed to be... No answer for you I'm afraid. I suppose a repair install would fix it but it seems a bit drastic...

USB default ICON has changed in Explorer - how to get it back? [​IMG]

lx07, Oct 2, 2016
  5. shimshom Win User
    Have you tried to clear your Icon cache from C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local and delete IconCache.db and all the iconcache files in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer then restart. Some of the files might require you to take ownership or boot from a live Windows DVD/USB before they can be deleted and can also try safe mode

shimshom, Oct 4, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Ah, that fixed it, thanks very much!

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB default ICON has changed in Explorer - how to get it back? - Similar Threads - USB default ICON

2. How can i get my default disk icons back in the explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i get my default disk icons back in the explorer?: I suddently have a extra icon above the drive icon indicating the drive space usage. I don't want that I would prefer the default drive icons like it used to showhow can i revert back to the previous default version in windows 11?See attached imageThank you...
  3. How can i get my default disk icons back in the explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i get my default disk icons back in the explorer?: I suddently have a extra icon above the drive icon indicating the drive space usage. I don't want that I would prefer the default drive icons like it used to showhow can i revert back to the previous default version in windows 11?See attached imageThank you...
  4. How to get default icons back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get default icons back?: Adobe photoshop and illustrator Icons were missing, I went on youtube and found a video the told me to go to the appdata folder in my useraccount and delete the iconcach.db file then restart, which i did the icons came back but im now having the rectangles instead of the...
  5. How to get default icons back?

How to get default icons back?: Adobe photoshop and illustrator Icons were missing, I went on youtube and found a video the told me to go to the appdata folder in my useraccount and delete the iconcach.db file then restart, which i did the icons came back but im now having the rectangles instead of the...
  6. How to get the icons back

How to get the icons back: After moving OneDrive off of the SSD system disk and starting OneDrive on demand, two things have happened that are inconvenient:some icons are just dummies on the desktop and taskbar. How may I change the setup to return the icons to normal?when I start TurboTax software, I...
  7. How do I change icons back to the default ones?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change icons back to the default ones?: Hi Reddit! I recently changed my icon’s icon (as in the “photo” that represents say, chrome) and would like to change them back to the default ones. I deleted the icons since I didn’t quite like how they looked and now I’m stuck with the blank page. Any help would be...
  8. Change the icon of Default Program - Within Explorer!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the icon of Default Program - Within Explorer!: For working on project, currently I am using a special default program for opening .zip files - it is a program for easy-previewing of pictures from .zip files! Can I change this icon it is now giving me from using the program, and now is being put over every .zip file on my...
  9. How to change Windows Explorer default icon size?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Windows Explorer default icon size?: Similar problem here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/how-do-i-change-the-default-file-explorer-view-to/4dad9764-dcab-420d-bd4e-99301e037be2 The most common advice is go to View > Folder Options > View tab > Apply to Folders, but that...
  10. File Explorer changes revert back to Default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer changes revert back to Default: I have many folders which contain music. Early on, those folders would automatically default to the Music template. Now, all of my music folders have reverted back to Default view: "Name," "Date Modified," "Type" and "Size." I'll right click on a folder containing music,...