Windows 10: USB device descriptor failed

Discus and support USB device descriptor failed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Most of the threads on this error are old, (2015) so I am starting a new one. I only notice it when I happen to be in the device manager. I have no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FreedomRydr, May 21, 2016.

1. USB device descriptor failed

Most of the threads on this error are old, (2015) so I am starting a new one. I only notice it when I happen to be in the device manager. I have no problems with any of my connected USB devices (that I have observed).

I have tried uninstalling it, and rescanning and it pops up again, so apparently it is something that is connected. Without disconnecting All of my USB devices one at a time (which I am wont to do, as it is not bothering me, other than that it is there!) It has been there for quite a while, so apparently is not anything new being connected.

Is there no way to identify WHAT is connected to this port, or even what port it is?

BTW, it only shows up in the USB Controller section, no matching errors in any of the devices themselves!

Curiouser and curiouser...*Huh

:)

FreedomRydr, May 21, 2016

2. My Windows isnt detecting any of my USB Hubs

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) is not working properly

Detected

Windows has detected a problem with Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

Device information

Name:
    Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

ID:
    USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&161B9FA8&0&4

Error code:

View device details

Completed

View details about Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) and check if there is a solution available.

Nope didnt fix it anyway seems like i need to do something about it i wonder if there was a missing file from the install ?

LiteGaming, May 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 not recognizing Samsung Galaxy S6

Same here, 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) is not working properly'

Anyone have a solution for this?

baroquedub, May 21, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

USB device descriptor failed

Hi.
    In Device Manager, right-click the problem device and select Properties. In the General Tab, it gives the error code. In the Details tab, use the arrow down to select Hardware Ids. Then google the ID to identify. Could be an internal USB connection to something like wifi, BT, or card reader. Those cables do go bad sometimes.
    Example: USB\VID_046D&PID_0A04&REV_0007

simrick, May 22, 2016
  5. In addition to simrick's advice:

DevMgr
    Select / highlight problematic device
    View Menu > Devices by connection

Slartybart, May 22, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Thanks Slartybart - forgot about that one! *Redface

simrick, May 22, 2016
  7. Sometimes it helps - the Hardware Ids always tells you something *Wink

Slartybart, May 23, 2016
  8. USB device descriptor failed

Hi and sorry for digging up this old topic, but it's one of the top links on google so someone in the future might find this helpful:

I had the same issue when trying to connect my phone to my laptop - tried everything described here and on other sites without success.
    The issue was the USB cable! I verified it with other computers and other phones and yes, it's always the same cable that gives me the "USB device descriptor" error message.

So before you start messing with the drivers, just try a different cable first.

HarryHamster, Oct 16, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Thanks for posting HarryHampster! Cheers!

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB device descriptor failed

1. USB device descriptor failed - Similar Threads - USB device descriptor

2. USB Device descriptor request failed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Device descriptor request failed: I have a surface pro 7 and every time I put on the signature type cover it tells me usb device not recognized. I have tried everything to fix this. It use to work but now wont. I thought it might be the type cover but the new one I bought says the same thing....
  3. USB Device Descriptor Request Failed

USB Device Descriptor Request Failed: This happened shortly after the 204 update. Not able to identify the specific hardware causing the issue going into properties and the various details. Tried unplugging mouse, keyboard, webcam. Reinstalled chipset driver. Any way to identify the specific hardware causing...
  4. USB device descriptor request failed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB device descriptor request failed: i have a generic usb controller that was working fine but then stopped working and showed this error. At first i thought it is an issue with the controller but the same happen with another usb controller. I've tried every method to fix it but none worked. Edit-code 43...
  5. A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...

A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...: A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) When I connect my Tascam 202 MKVII cassette player to record through USB port using Windows 10 OS, the USB port shows this message and does not recognize the hardware....
  6. A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...

A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...: When I connect my Tascam 202 MKVII cassette player to record through USB port using Windows 10 OS, the USB port shows this message and does not recognize the hardware. May I please know, How to get rid of this issue? Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)...
  7. USB device descriptor failed.

USB device descriptor failed.: Hi, I can't use my flash mem ory Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A request for the USB device descriptor failed....
  8. A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.: Please fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/a-request-for-the-usb-device-descriptor-failed/7386ba09-376f-417e-8d67-85294c79aad3
  9. A request for the USB device descriptor failed

A request for the USB device descriptor failed: Hello I have a USB device (X.Vision PCDVB-3100) It work properly in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 But now in Windows 10 when I connect it to USB port, The Windows give me this error: “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A request...
  10. USB Device Descriptor Failed??

USB Device Descriptor Failed??: [img] So this kept happening before and then it stopped being problematic for a while..unfortunately the issue has once again returned. In Event Viewer it says usbhci or something. When this issue occurs a few things happen: All USB devices cease to function until system...