Windows 10: USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in

Discus and support USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just built a new gaming rig Sunday, haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it but Monday night and Tuesday morning the only issues I had were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OrpheusPhD, Sep 13, 2016.

1. USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in

Just built a new gaming rig Sunday, haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it but Monday night and Tuesday morning the only issues I had were with some slow networking. Tuesday evening a new problem cropped up - constant USB device connected/disconnected sounds, accompanied by a pop-up of

This error persisted through 2 fresh installs, even though the device manager shows all of my USB devices as functioning at all times. In fact, the issue persists when there are NO USB devices connected to the computer at all. However, I do see an entry under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" tab with a yellow ! triangle, with a description of "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

I am unable to update drivers for this mystery device, and disabling it does not stop it from popping up every 2 seconds. I have attempted to update the drivers for all devices under this tab (ASMedia USB 3.1, Intel USB 3.0, USB Composite Devices, USB Root Hubs) but nothing is helping.

PLEASE, any help would be great. I really don't want to tear this apart and swap out the motherboard. The case was a real pain in the neck to work with.

System specs:
    MSI Z170A Gaming M5
    Intel Core i7-6700k
    eVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW
    G Skills Ripjaw PC4-17000 (2x16GB)
    Intel 600p series m.2 256GB (Primary hard disk)

:)

OrpheusPhD, Sep 13, 2016

2. USB Device not recognized: no device plugged in yet constantly disconnects/reconnects

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please follow these methods, mentioned below to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which checks the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues and provides the details on how to fix them. Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

• Click Start.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on
      “View All
      ” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
    If the issue still persists, follow the Method 2.

Method 2:

Uninstall and reinstall the Universal Serial Bus controllers driver and check, if it works. Refer to the following steps to uninstall the Universal Serial Bus controllers driver from the Device Manager.

a. Click on Windows key + X and then, select Device Manager.

b. Locate and expand “Universal Serial Bus controllers” in the Device Manager Window.

c. Right-click on the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” and click on “uninstall".

d. Restart the computer and check, if it works.

If the issue still persists, follow the Method 3.

Method 3:

Install the latest Universal Serial Bus controllers driver in Compatibility mode:

I suggest you to download the Latest Universal Serial Bus controllers driver from manufacture's website and install it in compatibility mode.

1. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

2. Select Compatibility Tab.

3. Place a check mark next to Run this program in

Compatibility Mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.

4. Let the driver to install and then, check the functionality.

I also suggest you to install all the latest Windows 10 builds in your system.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the updated information, in order to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Sep 13, 2016
  3. Raoulvm Win User
    USB Device not recognized: no device plugged in yet constantly disconnects/reconnects

Dear
    AntonyJose

I've been having the same issue as AlanMicoli, I tried all 3 method's, but without result.

It is a problem with connecting my iPad(4th gen) and iPad Air(1st gen). Not using an iPhone(6) or harddisks, (Micro)SD disks, mouse, keyboard, etc..

I'm using a genuine Apple cable, and USB3 on the back of my motherboard and USB2 on the front.

I'm hoping you have another Method, as this is getting very frustrating.

Raoulvm, Sep 13, 2016
  4. USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in

After a day of nothing happening, this began to happen again (more infrequently at the moment) this morning.

OrpheusPhD, Sep 14, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    I had the same 'USB not recognised' message pop up regularly a while back. At the time I had no USB devices plugged in, but I did have a USB charging lead connected to a 'dumb' device (no intelligence whatsoever, just charging its battery).

This battery had charged without problem for months before that, but shortly after the messages started to appear the charging failed. Both problems were solved with a replacement charging lead, though that too failed with the same symptoms about 6 months later. The current (newer and a different brand) charging lead has no such problem.

So, seems like a faulty USB lead can (possibly by allowing two of the connections to make contact when they shouldn't) lead to Windows incorrectly detecting a phantom device. Maybe you have a faulty USB socket and/or lead? Or some dirt has got into the socket and is bridging across two of the connections?

6. I do have a cable sitting here to plug my phone in, but I unplugged everything and the message still popped up. It's gone away since, so either it was a software glitch corrected in the Windows update or, as you suggested, some small debris made its way into and now out of a port.

OrpheusPhD, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in

1. USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in - Similar Threads - USB device recognized

2. USB device not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB device not recognized: Hello,Hope you can help me; my USB mouse connection keep pop-up USB device not recognized, have change port several time, and theproblem persists.What should I do?All suggestion welcomesThank you...
  3. USB Device Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Device Not Recognized: My laptop repeatedly gives same error which is "USB device not recognized". Because of that, I deactivated USB device in Device Manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-device-not-recognized/3c805310-2d39-4ad9-91c6-748002e70429
  4. USB device not recognized when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB device not recognized when plugged in: When i plug in a usb stick into my laptop it makes a noise as though it knows it's there but won't display the contents. I've looked a loads of you tube videos which didn't solve the problem but i have noticed that I have a generic USB hub file listed under Universal Serial...
  5. USB device not recognized when plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB device not recognized when plugged in: When i plug in a usb stick into my laptop it makes a noise as though it knows it's there but won't display the contents. I've looked a loads of you tube videos which didn't solve the problem but i have noticed that I have a generic USB hub file listed under Universal Serial...
  6. USB device not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB device not recognized: I have seen someone else post about this same problem but didn't see a legitimate solution. I have Win 10 and have never had this problem until recently. I'm using an S7 for my mp3 player and all music on it now was loaded via Win 10. All of the sudden, it's not getting...
  7. USB device not recognized

USB device not recognized: My WIFI mouse via a USB connector sometimes works and sometimes does not. I have tried a second piece of hardware and all three USB ports wit no lasting success. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-device-not-recognized/170cc763-dfa0-47fa-a275-cb24e03b0c72
  8. Usb device not recognized.

Usb device not recognized.: Last week, i bought a SanDisk 3.0 64gb usb flash drive, i formatted it to FAT32 with EaseUS for my wii, it worked, but the next day, the wii couldn't read it and also my pc. I tried to plug it in another pc running windows 10 , and another one running windows 8 , and a third...
  9. USB device not recognized

USB device not recognized: I have a Lenovo Android phone which after it self-upgraded it's software (customized Android UI) does not get recognized when it's plugged into my Lenovo G50 notebook. When plugged in, Windows gives "USB device not recognized" and the phone cannot be accessed. I've tried...
  10. USB device not recognized

USB device not recognized: I have a USB port on my motherboard that never worked. I had the problem with Windows 7 complaining about it, but something I did got Windows 7 to be quiet. Now I have Windows 10. Action Center is popping a steady stream - and I do mean steady - of "USB device not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. SCRTEEN MESSAGE SAYS USB DEVICE IS UNKNOWN NO USB DEVICE PLUGGED IN

2. usb not recognized message when no usb plugged in

3. windows usb device no recognized when not plugged in

4. usb not recognized malfunctioned even no devise plugged in