Windows 10: USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

Discus and support USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; ^sounds like good advice with the 3 month wait. In the meantime I will look into Ed's guide on disabling win 10 updates. They really need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mojorising, Apr 5, 2018.

1. USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

^sounds like good advice with the 3 month wait.

In the meantime I will look into Ed's guide on disabling win 10 updates.

They really need to improve the error reporting. You can't fix something if the update log does not tell you what is going wrong.

the 1709 update error says:-

0xC1900101 - 0x30017
    The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation.

Microsoft says:-
    An error that begins with 0xC1900101 is usually a driver error. If you see any of these error codes, try the following steps first to fix the problem. If these steps don’t work, see Resolve Windows 10 upgrade errors for more detailed technical info.

But there are hundreds of drivers!

Microsoft, if you are reading this:- We need to know what exactly is going wrong with updates in order to fix the problems.Put more detail into PowerShell Get-WindowsUpdateLog

mojorising, Apr 5, 2018

2. I had a spring clean of my Device Manager devices (I am having some major issues for the last 2 months with the Win 10 1709 upgrade.and this was a suggestion) and now various USB devices (harddrives, mice, keyboards) will not work when plugged in.

Take the spare mouse for example.

It is a simple standard plug-and-play Logitech wired mouse which was not connected to the laptop at the time I did the 'spring clean'.

When I bought this mouse last year my laptop had never seen it before. I plugged it in and it immediately worked.

I figured if I clean out the Device Manager devices it will be OK since they will automatically reinstall when the device is re-connected for the first time just like when I first bought them.

But this is not happening. After the 'spring clean' the devices are not automatically reinstalling when plugged in.

They show up in Device Manager as devices that are not working due to no driver.

How come these items set themselves up automatically when they are first purchased but will not set themselves up on first connection after Device Manager clean up?

I can get them working for one session by selecting them in Device Manager (they have the yellow warning symbol) and selecting Update Driver.

If choose 'Search automatically...' there are never any results.

If I choose 'Browse My Computer' then 'Let me pick from a list....' then I can sometimes get lucky and get the device working using a generic Windows driver. But it only works for one session. As soon as I unplug the mouse/keyboard/whatever and plug it in again I am back to square one and it is not working.

How do I get these devices to work again like they did when I first plugged them after buying them and before doing the DM clean-up ?

(this Win 10 1709 upgrade nightmare has cost me about 30 hours of wasted time before i even tried this device manager clean up suggestion)

:)

mojorising, Apr 29, 2018
  3. WMDC 6.1 and bluetooth sync refuses to work

Yes i was. A bit more detail though. After changing the activesync mode away from USB it worked via bluetooth - ONCE. Then never again. After that one bluetooth sync, WMDC even stopped detecting it on USB - it just sits there as "not connected" despite
    device manager showing the HP USB Sync mobile device and so on. The following day i reinstalled Vista as it had got slow as **** anyway. Connected the IPAQ usb and it worked, connected bluetooth and it worked. However since then it refuses to work on either.
    Bluetooth has the same problem as above but even USB doesnt work. I plug in the device, the device detected sound effect plays and "HP Sync USB" appears in device manager mobile devices. Activesync icon on the PDA says its connected. However WMDC just sits
    there on "Not Connected" and doesnt do anything. Its as if Windows knows the device is there but WMDC itself seems incapable of recognising this fact. I've tried removing the HP Sync device from device manager and readding but same problem. I've also tried
    on my XP pro desktop running activesync 4.5 and it works perfectly 100% of the time on usb and bluetooth on there so im sure the problem isnt the device itself. So basically i seem to have sync that works once or twice then never again under any mode and the
    problem has appeared even on a clean install of Vista yet it works perfectly on AS4.5/XP.

Richard Whitcombe, Apr 29, 2018
  4. USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

none of usb works

None of usb devices works after updating to Windows 10 version 1511.

There are no errors, simply, as if nothing is going on when usb devices are plug in.

This is what I found:

1. If the usb device is plugged in during startup, that device will work.

2. If it's plugged in after it's startup, it'll not work.

3. If usb device is pulled out and replug in, it'll not work.

I have tried:

1. Ran the troubleshooting from control panel.

2. Update usb drivers from device manager.

3. Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" from usb properties.

4. Uninstall all usb from device manager and reboot to allow windows to install them

5. Turn off fast startup from control panel.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks!

MsoftUser2013, Apr 29, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Do you have access to a backup made prior to the clean-up? If so, you have numerous options open to you. If you do have a backup, please let us know when it was made and using what backup software, and we can provide further remediation advice.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 29, 2018
  6. Welcome to TenForums @mojorising

It seems your spring cleanup did something more than just remove some devices from your system. Please first answer Eds question and then we'll try to figure out the best course of action.

If there is something else you did during your cleanup, please let us know. Do you remember exactly what you did to cleanup the devices? (This could be important information)

slicendice, Apr 29, 2018
  7. Thanks Ed.

No I do not have a backup (doh!)

I can get most of the devices working again by choosing default windows drivers from inside Device Manager.

But when I remove and then re-insert the device it is not working again and I have to go back into Device manager and repeat the exercise.

How can I get Windows to remember that the default driver works for this device?

mojorising, Apr 29, 2018
  8. USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

Here is a list of all the devices I removed using Device Manager
    There were many many duplicates so I have put the number beside each device type (e.g. I removed 13 separate HID compliant mouse devices)

Device Manager:-
    Printers:-
    Uninstalled HP 1110 Laser Printer
    Uninstall Canon MG2900 inkjet
    Uninstalled bluetooth speaker

HID Devices:-
    Uninstalled 13 HID Compliant Mice
    Uninstalled 9 HID Compliant Keyboards
    Uninstalled 20 HID Input Devices
    Uninstalled 40 USB Input Devices

Display Devices:-
    Uninstalled 4 generic displays

USB Devices:-
    Uninstalled 4 Unknown USB Devices
    Uninsatll Huawei Mobile Connect
    Uninstall 20 USB Composite Devices
    Uninstall 20 USB Mass Storage Devices
    Uninstall 30 VMWare USB Devices

Portable Devices:-
    Uninstalled 15 Drives and phones

Other Devices:-
    Uninstalled Unknown Device

mojorising, Apr 29, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Your best bet might be to perform an in-place repair upgrade install. It will find and reinstall all (or at least, most) device drivers as it does its thing. Check out this TenForums tutorial: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade. It only takes half an hour or so. If it works that would be much faster than manually running down and trying out all of your missing drivers.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: once you get your system sorted, one lesson you should take away with you from this adventure is the need for, and value of, a current/valid backup. Be sure to grab a good backup tool such as Macrium Reflect Free (the free version is adequate for most users, though I'm inclined to support them by buying their licenses to support their excellent work). Make sure you do this soon!

EdTittel, Apr 29, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    In addition to the above:
    Open the website for Lenovo > enter product or serial number or model > select the operating system > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into this thread.
    Run the automatic driver update > post results into the thread.

zbook, Apr 29, 2018
  11. Exactly as @EdTittel recommended. Something is really off, on your computer since you have/had duplicate drivers and now nothing works. Before you do the "Repair Upgrade", reboot your computer using this command from command prompt or the Run dialog (WINKEY + R):
    Code: shutdown /r /t 0[/quote] That will reboot your device immediately and will make sure you have done an absolutely clean system startup and no old data should be cached anywhere in RAM. (solves issues with Fast Startup, that sometimes can cause a lot of havoc on some systems)

Let us know how goes.

slicendice, Apr 29, 2018
  12. Thanks, I installed Lenovo System Interface Foundation from:-

Error

Seems to have got a mouse and keyboard working but some other mice and HDs not working.

Want to try the repair but I need a 1703 iso to do a repair.

The download links are only available for 1709 now.

Trying to download 1703 makes you join Sign in to your account

But then it still does not let you have a 1703 iso link

Anybody know where I can get a 1703 iso?

I have got the 1709 ISO (one of my many failed attempts at doing the upgrade from hell) but that is no use as it is the upgrade that is not working and has caused this 2 month long saga.

mojorising, Apr 29, 2018
  13. USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

Thanks, I installed Lenovo System Interface Foundation from the Lenovo website

Seems to have got a mouse and keyboard working but some other mice and HDs not working.

Want to try the Windows repair option mentioned by Ed but I need a 1703 iso to do a repair.

The download links are only available for 1709 now.

Trying to download 1703 makes you join the VisualStudio community.

But then it still does not let you have a 1703 iso link

Anybody know where I can get a 1703 iso?

I have got the 1709 ISO (one of my many failed attempts at doing the upgrade from hell) but that is no use as it is the upgrade that is not working and has caused this 2 month long saga.

mojorising, Apr 29, 2018
  14. ^Nevermind.

I have got the 1703 download working now. Will come back with an update once I try the repair.

Thanks again.

mojorising, Apr 29, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    The windows 10 iso can be downloaded from the Microsoft website or other websites for free.
    The Microsoft website should have switched today from 1709 to 1803.
    If you still need an old iso let us know.
    Windows will attempt to automatically update when you least expect it.
    If you prefer an older build, Ed, has a thread for blocking updates/upgrades:
    Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely Solved - Windows 10 Forums

zbook, Apr 29, 2018
Thema:

USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

1. USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean - Similar Threads - USB devices working

2. USB device not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB device not showing up in device manager: I have an Epson DS-530 scanner that was set up and running fine on my desktop a while ago before it stopped working.I have been able to set it up on another computer with no problem so I know it is not a bad cable/device, but it is not showing up in the device manager.Any...
  3. USB device not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB device not showing up in device manager: I have an Epson DS-530 scanner that was set up and running fine on my desktop a while ago before it stopped working.I have been able to set it up on another computer with no problem so I know it is not a bad cable/device, but it is not showing up in the device manager.Any...
  4. USB device not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Device manager shows Unknown USB Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device manager shows Unknown USB Device: Device manager shows Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed Here are the files:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnqODU59jkasgfasAUMd6Uq6mQyCqac?e=SfpeQe...
  6. Device manager shows Unknown USB Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device manager shows Unknown USB Device: Device manager shows Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed Here are the files:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnqODU59jkasgfasAUMd6Uq6mQyCqac?e=SfpeQe...
  7. Unknown devices in device manager after clean installation of windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unknown devices in device manager after clean installation of windows 10: Hi, I just decided to do a fresh installation of Windows 10 with a USB. However, after starting windows, I went into device manager and saw a few unknown devices. The device id shows PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A03&SUBSYS_20108086&REV_09\3&11583659&0&20 and ACPI\INT3402\0. Does...
  8. Devices missing in device manager after clean Windows 10 install

Devices missing in device manager after clean Windows 10 install: Hi, To clean up my hybdrid Lenovo Ideapad miix 300-10IBY, I did a backup, and then reinstall Windows 10 from a bootable USB device. The problem are : - I cant update Intel HD Graphic adapter drivers because there is no graphic adapter showing in device manager - I cant...
  9. Device Manager: USB and Unknown device problem

Device Manager: USB and Unknown device problem: Hello, I recently encountered a problem in device manager where a device was missing a driver and a USB Device malfunctioned. I am not really sure what caused this to happen because I just reinstalled Windows a week ago Here is the name of my device if needed: HP ENVY...
  10. Missing USB device in Device Manager

Missing USB device in Device Manager: I have a dell xps 9365 and there are only 2 type c port. And one is not working any more. I tried to see the changes in device manager when I insert a USB flash drive, but there is nothing happen, even in the hidden divices. Would you please offer me some solutions?...