Windows 10: USB drive losing sync

Discus and support USB drive losing sync in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a WD passport 1TB usb drive I use for backup with Acronis True Image (purchased) backup software that keeps losing connection to my system. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by harris128, Mar 24, 2017.

1. harris128 Win User

USB drive losing sync

I have a WD passport 1TB usb drive I use for backup with Acronis True Image (purchased) backup software that keeps losing connection to my system. I get notifications in the notification center icon. Anyone know if there is a fix for this? I have two accounts on my system, personal & work both with admin rights.

Thanks for any help provided,

:)

harris128, Mar 24, 2017

2. I was blocked from using my laptop

Download the ISO on another computer, put it on a USB drive, boot the computer from the USB drive, format (you will lose all your data and applications), install win 10

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Mar 24, 2017
  3. sync to usb

Windows media player use to allow a sync to a usb drive but with my installation of windows 10 it no longer allows that to happen. Is there a way to sync to a usb drive with groove music? I use the usb in my auto stereo and the media player was great
    for doing that.

mikeowhite, Mar 24, 2017
  4. USB drive losing sync

Wish I could help. I've got a WD Elements Ext Drive (USB connection) that Windows keeps disabling when I burn a CD/DVD. And Device Manager tells me they two devices are working properly.

Good luck.

Wiley Coyote, Mar 24, 2017
  5. simrick Win User
    External hard drives are notorious for having their internal PC board fail, even though the drive itself may be in good shape. I have had several fail, and pulled them apart, hooked up the drive directly and all is well. Then I buy a new external case and put the drive in that.

Unfortunately, WD, (as a cost save), now solder their drives directly to the internal PC board, so once your board fails, you can't get your data off the drive.

USB drive losing sync [​IMG]

I would replace it ASAP before you lose access to your data completely.

simrick, Mar 24, 2017
  6. Does this happen while you are using the drive for backup or during periods of inactivity?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 24, 2017
  7. harris128 Win User
    Ken,

This only happens during periods of inactivity, never when I am using the drive to backup my data.
    harris126

harris128, Mar 24, 2017
  8. USB drive losing sync

So I'll bet it is a power setting. The drive shuts down and windows "helps" to save the world by shutting something down.

So I would start with power settings in Windows, like "USB selective suspend" and or Hard Disk activity. I would also search through some of your drivers looking for Power Management tabs once you click properties. You will find in Network adapters for sure and some of the USB drivers.

Next I would see how you can manage from the WD end. Read one article from them that said you can't manage, nice.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB drive losing sync

1. USB drive losing sync - Similar Threads - USB drive losing

2. USB losing drive letter after each removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB losing drive letter after each removal: Hey all:So, this issue has been driving me crazy for the past 2 days. I have a Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 64GB USB 3.0/2.0 flash drive. I wanted to change the OS of a PC I have permanently plugged in my TV from Windows 11 to a lighter, Linux distro. I chose Solus Budgie...
  3. USB losing drive letter after each removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB losing drive letter after each removal: Hey all:So, this issue has been driving me crazy for the past 2 days. I have a Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 64GB USB 3.0/2.0 flash drive. I wanted to change the OS of a PC I have permanently plugged in my TV from Windows 11 to a lighter, Linux distro. I chose Solus Budgie...
  4. Losing the drive letter on drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Losing the drive letter on drive: I have a WD Elements 2TB drive and my computer will not hold the designated drive letter, I can give it the drive letter E but each time I close down and restart I have to give it the drive letter again. Any help would be appreciated Harry...
  5. Backup/Sync to Usb external drive without Logging In

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup/Sync to Usb external drive without Logging In: Good day, This i my first post on this forum, hope i make a good job. I have a very simple network setup made up of three PCs running windows 10. One could be caller "Server" and the other two are "Drone1" and "Drone2" The drone PC's have a software that references to a...
  6. losing data on usb

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    losing data on usb: Questions Hello I am experiencing intermittent loss of word files on my USB I presume it is virus related. What symptoms do my computers have? They are a succession of laptops they were loaded with XP but had probs so I installed windows 7… I bought the copy...
  7. Audio Losing Sync In Videos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Losing Sync In Videos: OS: v1809, build 17763.973 Within the last week, videos I was watching with the program MPC-HC started losing sync fairly quickly in videos. Then, today, while simply watching a 5 minute YouTube video, as the video progressed it started losing sync. Other symptom: when...
  8. Win 10 losing USB drive access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 losing USB drive access: My new Win10 laptop loses access to my usb drives.. I can reboot and get them back but I can't save active files to their external locations. I see that this has been an issue since 2015. Somebody must know how to fix it....
  9. Audio and video losing sync

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audio and video losing sync: Any video I try to watch on my pc is losing sync, in about 6 minutes the delay is big (about 2s), doesn't matter if it's on VLC, on chrome (youtube, netflix, amazon prime). Already tried to reinstall the drivers (realtek) and installed the generic windows drivers. Tried...
  10. Software to sync folders on PC and USB thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software to sync folders on PC and USB thumb drive: it cant be simpler robcopy d:\work c:\work /mirror thats its just change the folders names it doesnt get any simpler You are so right, job done and lots of time saved. Thanks for your help and thanks to all contributers to the thread, it all helps. Cheers Daniel