Windows 10: USB Drive not showing up as connected device - Creators Update Problem

Discus and support USB Drive not showing up as connected device - Creators Update Problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So a while ago I detailed problems I was having with a usb device not showing up as connected on my main pc here: USB Drive (Media Player) failing to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by please55, Jul 1, 2017.

1. please55 Win User

USB Drive not showing up as connected device - Creators Update Problem

So a while ago I detailed problems I was having with a usb device not showing up as connected on my main pc here: USB Drive (Media Player) failing to show up as connected device - Windows 10 Forums

I had two other laptops both on Windows 10 where the device connected fine. Now a few weeks later I think I've figured out the possible culprit. Distinguishing factor that sticks out - my main PC had Windows Creator's Update build.

Now that the two other laptops have gotten the upgrade, the same device that worked perfectly okay on both of them doesn't show up as connected. Same device shows up fine on my Macbook Air.

WTF *Mad

Anyone else experiencing USB device issues post update? Any possible solutions?

:)

please55, Jul 1, 2017
  2. JSK007 Win User

Windows 10 Pro will not connect to external hard drive

Unfortunately I'm still unable to connect the two Seagate drives to my desktop and laptop. Here's some additional clarification in case it helps identify a cause/solution.

1. When I connect the drives to my computers it shows up as an SCSI drive in Device Manager, not a USB drive.

2. The desktop (that cannot connect to the drives) is a Dell XPS 435T/9000, the laptop (that cannot connect to the drives) is an HP dv6 and the ultrabook (that can connect to the drives) is a Lenovo 11s. The Dell and HP are running Win 10 Pro Build 1730
    and the Lenovo is still on Win 10 (not Pro) Build 1607.

So far the only obvious solution is to downgrade back from the Creator's to the Anniversary version of Win 10 Pro. While certainly feasible I'm still seeking other options that let me keep the features of the Creators Update. I've seen a few other posts
    of people having connectivity issues with Seagate drives and am still wondering is there a way to fix this via the Device Manager or is there any type of know Seagate incompatibility Microsoft has found in Creators Update testing?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

JSK007, Jul 1, 2017
  3. Back Up

I have an external hard drive that shows as a USB device.

When wanting to back up to this device Windows 10 does not show this device as a location to back up to.

How do I make this USB connected hard drive visible to the system so that I can back up to it ?

IanTofield, Jul 1, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

It would help to have you update what is the manufacturer and model of the laptop, what OS you had on it before. You would need to look in Device Manager to see if there are any devices in it that are showing problems. Also in the bios it you need to make sure that the USB is enabled.

bro67, Jul 1, 2017
  5. Olive Win User
    I have the same problem with a GPS Mio 686. The device normally appears as a USB key or hard disk and the software provided by the manufacturer (Mio More Desktop) use it to update the maps and do other things. With creators update, I have an error message saying that the device is not recognized and a problem in the device manager. Alternatively, it can appear as an empty drive. On other Windows versions, I had well an error message as a notification, but the device works nevertheless.

At least for my device, the problem is documented on the manufacturer website: http://service.mio.com/M0100/MainFrame.aspx

Olive, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Drive not showing up as connected device - Creators Update Problem - Similar Threads - USB Drive showing

2. USB device not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB device not showing up in device manager: I have an Epson DS-530 scanner that was set up and running fine on my desktop a while ago before it stopped working.I have been able to set it up on another computer with no problem so I know it is not a bad cable/device, but it is not showing up in the device manager.Any...
  3. USB device not showing up in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB device not showing up in device manager: I have an Epson DS-530 scanner that was set up and running fine on my desktop a while ago before it stopped working.I have been able to set it up on another computer with no problem so I know it is not a bad cable/device, but it is not showing up in the device manager.Any...
  4. All USB devices showing up as drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All USB devices showing up as drives: All of my USB devices (keyboard, mouse, webcam, printer, Bluetooth dongle) show up as drives ("no media") in Disk Management, and as disk drives in Device Manager. It's not a fatal problem, but it's annoying. Is there a way to correct this? Windows 10, Version 2004 (OS...
  5. All USB devices show up as drives

All USB devices show up as drives: All of my USB devices keyboard, mouse, webcam, printer, Bluetooth dongle show up as drives "no media" in Disk Management, and as disk drives in Device Manager. It's not a fatal problem, but it's annoying. Is there a way to correct this?...
  6. USB drive not showing in devices and drives

USB drive not showing in devices and drives: Hi all, I have two computers which do the same thing which is odd in itself. When I insert a USB drive the drive flashes up momentarily in devices and drives then disappears. It shows in device manager and also in disk management but not when I open This PC. It also does not...
  7. usb drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb drive not showing up: I baught a well stared and reviewed cheap usb with 32gb from amazon, and it worked well for a while, eventually it just kept disconnecting and today when I looked i connected it again, it made the connection sounds, but it disappeared from the main list in file explorer, i...
  8. drive not showing up in devices

drive not showing up in devices: I have a HP Envy23 that has 2 drives but only one shows up in disk drive. it is a SDSA5dk-016GB-1006 and has no more space. There is another drive that has 1TB ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB but I cannot get it to merge with the other one because it keeps disappearing in the disk...
  9. Dial up connection problem after installing Creators Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dial up connection problem after installing Creators Update: I use a Dial Up Broadband connection which has been set up by User ID & Password provided by the ISP. After "Clean Install" of Creators Update, whenever I try to connect to Internet a window pops-up "Windows Security", where I have to enter the User ID & Password again before...
  10. USB Drive (Media Player) failing to show up as connected device

USB Drive (Media Player) failing to show up as connected device: I'm having just about the strangest USB issue I've ever encountered. And its driving me up the wall. [img] In the above picture I've plugged in a normal usb drive on my desktop and it shows up perfectly fine under my PC, under the device manager and in disk...