Windows 10: USB drive now requires Admin OK for file/folder copies, moves, deletes

Discus and support USB drive now requires Admin OK for file/folder copies, moves, deletes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a USB hard drive that was created with an earlier Win 10 install. I had to wipe that install because of severe corruption with some of my Office... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by x509, Jul 8, 2017.

1. x509 Win User

USB drive now requires Admin OK for file/folder copies, moves, deletes

I have a USB hard drive that was created with an earlier Win 10 install. I had to wipe that install because of severe corruption with some of my Office 2013 programs, especially Outlook. I've done a fresh install (Creators' Update) and reinstalled programs, with good results, EXCEPT for file operations on this one USB drive.

The user ID is the same for both the old and new Windows installs, so that's not an issue. I tried to "take ownership" by changing permissions under the Advanced part of Security for that entire drive. That operation seemed to go OK, but I still get prompts for Administrator OK if I want to copy files onto the root directory of that drive, to move any files/folders on that drive, or to delete files/folders. All this is new.

Besides being a pain, it also screws up usage of this utility that I use to compare and synchronize folders across systems, Scooter Software: Home of Beyond Compare.

How can I get rid of all the Administrator prompts?

:)

x509, Jul 8, 2017
  2. evil_eyes Win User

Question about 6700 classic and the memory card.

Ok, but I can't copy, move or delete the file. The folder is gone now. I deleted it.

evil_eyes, Jul 8, 2017
  3. yasirapp Win User
    New software update available for Asha 202 and Asha 203: SW 20.52

if you want to move the file

Go to application

Go to gallary

select memory card

select the file or folder and press with finger and hold a new window open

Delete Folder/file

Delete Move folder/file

Copy Folder / file

Rename folder or File

If you want move then press on move folder and select target folder

then press and hold memory card select open Drive

now select another folder where you want to move your files

yasirapp, Jul 8, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Have you tried Formatting the USB Device?

pepanee, Jul 8, 2017
  5. x509 Win User
    No I had not. I have a number of files on that device that first need to be synchronized with a partition on another system. However, I've spent a lot of time trying to work around this permissions issue, and it might just be easier to reformat and then copy over all the necessary files, about 400 GB worth.

x509, Jul 8, 2017
  6. x509 Win User
    Did not fix the issue. I'm going to start a separate thread.

7. Try3 Win User
    x509,

In addition to taking ownership, did you also set the necessary Modify Permissions? Here is an example of how I set up a drive -

USB drive now requires Admin OK for file/folder copies, moves, deletes [​IMG]

Select the Authenticated uses line [or whichever one you want] & click on View to check that they have the Permissions you intended and change them if necessary by clicking on Change permissions.

Denis

8. x509 Win User

Yes, I did.

Here is the weird part. I reformatted that partition. At first I could not copy any files TO that partition from another system on my LAN, despite having set all permissions for "full control." Then, after reboots, I was able to do normal copying/deleting/moving from another system like "normal."

So I don't know if I should mark this issue SOLVED because I'm not sure exactly how/what solved the issue,

x509, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. USB drive now requires Admin OK for file/folder copies, moves, deletes - Similar Threads - USB drive requires

2. How to move files to USB and not copy.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move files to USB and not copy.: I have a lot of files I want to move to a USB drive to free up space, but it just copies the files instead of moves them. Doing this causes all the files to lose their original creation dates and I don't want that to happen. Does anyone know how to just move them?...
  3. How to move files to USB and not copy.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move files to USB and not copy.: I have a lot of files I want to move to a USB drive to free up space, but it just copies the files instead of moves them. Doing this causes all the files to lose their original creation dates and I don't want that to happen. Does anyone know how to just move them?...
  4. You need admin priviliges to delete/edit or copy this file/folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You need admin priviliges to delete/edit or copy this file/folder: Why does My PC automatically sets every file I create or replace delete it just says You need administrator privileges to delete this folder/file, for example, i want to delete it but it just can't i tried taking over it and it still not works I think its some sort of virus i...
  5. You need admin priviliges to delete/edit or copy this file/folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You need admin priviliges to delete/edit or copy this file/folder: Why does My PC automatically sets every file I create or replace delete it just says You need administrator privileges to delete this folder/file, for example, i want to delete it but it just can't i tried taking over it and it still not works I think its some sort of virus i...
  6. You need admin priviliges to delete/edit or copy this file/folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file

Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file: A user screenshotted a twitter feed and did not rename the file. The file name is now exceedingly long, causing issues with our backup service due to the filepath length. I have tried moving, copying, renaming, and deleting the file, but nothing happens, not even an error. I...
  8. is it ok to delete the the C: drive and move to D: drive as the main one?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is it ok to delete the the C: drive and move to D: drive as the main one?: im not the best at these kinda stuff. i dual booted 2 windows 10 operating systems. the C: drive contains a 32-bit Windows 10 version, and the D: drive contains a 64-bit Windows version. ive been using the 64-bit version a lot now and its been a while since i use the 32-bit...
  9. Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files

Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files: Windows 10 64 bit Version 1803 build 17134.407 I have two Western Digital external USB drives attached to my main computer. One has drive letter E: and the other is M:. They are identical in content and directory structure and I use them to store the majority of my files....
  10. OK to delete windows.old folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    OK to delete windows.old folder?: I'm in the Windows Insider program and have updated Windows 10 several times now. Each time, creating a windows.old folder. Do I need to keep these, and if not, what's the best way of deleting them? This is probably a silly question, but better safe than sorry. Thanks! 52935