Windows 10: USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes

Discus and support USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am astounded that Microsoft won't let us choose whether or not our USB drive goes to sleep. It sleeps in less than 3.5 minutes. I'm working on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IndieArchive, Jul 23, 2016.

1. USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes

I am astounded that Microsoft won't let us choose whether or not our USB drive goes to sleep. It sleeps in less than 3.5 minutes. I'm working on a file, and every time I want to save changes I have to wait for the drive to spin up before I can continue. It's like being back in 87 when you had to wait for the computer before you could do anything. When Win 10 first came out I couldn't believe that they would do this, but I thought that surely they would fix this ridiculousness before long but here we are a year later and this is still a problem. I know that I can install mickey mouse software that will write to the HD every minute to keep it awake but this is stupid. And I should not have to spend hours researching how to keep the HD from going to sleep with registry hacks, I'm not a rocket scientist. If I can set an internal HD to not go to sleep so I can use it when I want to then why can't I use my external when I want to? It's stuff like this that makes people go to Apple.

:)

IndieArchive, Jul 23, 2016

2. Screens won't power off in Windows 10

Hi

I've tried it, and the message I get is 'Security Update for Window (KB3200970) is already installed on this computer'. I've set the PC to sleep after half an hour, but it goes to sleep after less than 5 minutes, as soon as I turn my back on the computer.
    The screens still don't power off on their own but the PC is going to sleep far more quickly than I would like.

blue_pencil, Jul 23, 2016
  3. MarkGilby Win User
    Windows 10 Goes to sleep mode randomly and can't turn back on

Mine is an HP Envy. I have reset to default settings (screen 5 & 10 minutes, system 15 and 30) and it still sleeps after less than 3 minutes inactivity. To be precise, it repeatedly sleeps after 2 minutes and 20 seconds (140 seconds). I timed it 3 times
    consecutively on a stopwatch! Sad but true

MarkGilby, Jul 23, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes

If USB selective suspend is enabled, external drives will go to suspend state when not used. Disable it in Advanced Power Options:

USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes [​IMG]

5. I was surprised to see such a simple solution proposed when I have read so many people complaining about it, and reading about registry hacks etc to solve this ridiculous problem. It was too easy to be true. Microsoft wants me to jump through a lot more hoops than that to fix their shortcoming. Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. I did as you suggested, rebooted the computer to make sure it "took", and plugged in the USB drive. It went to sleep in less than a minute and a half, rebooted and tried again - same thing, about a minute and a half. What a joke Microsoft is; I just can't believe that I have to invest so much time into trying to fix this. If I wasn't so heavily invested into Windows with 8 PCs I would switch to Apple.

IndieArchive, Jul 24, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    You might want to look at drive's manual too, some have own power saving options and so do some internal "Green" drives.

CountMike, Jul 24, 2016
  7. I have a bunch of WD Passports and My Books that never did this with Windows 7, and I have read a lot of people's complaints about this problem that started with Windows 8, and I have used software called "Keep Alive Hard Drive" that was written specifically because of Microsoft's refusal to satisfy their customers by allowing them to disable this boat anchor from their computers. I've seen registry hacks that apparently worked in Win8 to disable this joke that Microsoft has played on us that no longer work in Win10. This is a Win10 problem, not my hard drives.

IndieArchive, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes

1. USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes - Similar Threads - USB drive sleeps

2. Windows will shut down in less than a minute.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows will shut down in less than a minute.: After installing a windows update a while back, I keep getting a pop-up every once in a while saying "You're about to be signed out. Windows will shut down in less than a minute." Sometimes it happens a few times in a row, sometimes it doesn't happen for days. Also, Windows...
  3. Internet less than half speed connected to ETHERNET

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet less than half speed connected to ETHERNET: I have two custom pc's. Both have similar issues. Suppose to be getting 1gb internet speed, but am constantly only pulling ~200 to 300mbs. I have checked and replaced cat cables, I have reset modem and router, I have updated and checked drivers, I have booted from linux live...
  4. Main Screen reverts to lock screen in less than a minute

in Windows 10 Customization
    Main Screen reverts to lock screen in less than a minute: My new laptop has a problem with staying either on the main screen or app after less than a minute of inaction. The screen dims and goes back to the lock screen and I have to enter my pin number again. What's up with this?...
  5. my screen goes to sleep in less then 3 minutes of inactivity. how can I fix ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    my screen goes to sleep in less then 3 minutes of inactivity. how can I fix ?: my screen goes to sleep in less then 3 minutes of inactivity. how can I fix ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-screen-goes-to-sleep-in-less-then-3-minutes-of/672e7f8c-a571-44cc-9077-4b87687373d2
  6. Games running for less than half the usual fps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games running for less than half the usual fps: Hello there, this is my first time posting here so bear with me. Since 3 days ago, while i was playing a game Sekiro shadows die twice i was playing normally, capped at 60 steady fps, nothing that my PC can't handle. About 45 minutes in, the game suddenly froze for a second...
  7. Random wallpaper shuffler at an interval of less than 1 minute?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Random wallpaper shuffler at an interval of less than 1 minute?: On Windows 10 is it possible to do random wallpaper shuffler at an interval of less than 1 minute? I have checked various sites claiming to have instructions on how to set Windows 10 random wallpaper shuffle to a customized time but the instructions never seem to work, and...
  8. GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming: OK, so about a month ago i brought dark souls 3 and around 5 minutes into playing the game, my monitor displayed the "No connection found screen" and my headset cut off all my sound. I was on discord at the time and the people in the call said i just disconnected without...
  9. USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes still

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes still: I can't believe that after a year and a half still Microsoft will not fix the USB drive sleep problem. I use an external Raid box with 4 HDs. It takes about a minute to awake after the Windows 10 boat anchor puts it to sleep. When I am working on a file I probably save about...
  10. PC Going To Sleep After 3 Minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC Going To Sleep After 3 Minutes: I recently upgraded to Windows 10. After my upgrade my computer will shut off after 3 minutes of not using it. I have all power settings set to 30 minutes after no use. On battery and plugged in. Does anyone else have the same issue? If anyone has any solutions please help....