Windows 10: USB Drive

Discus and support USB Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have tried to create USB drive using Windows Media Creation Tool. On my first try the program shut down during the verification process. The second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by neveready, Aug 5, 2015.

1. neveready Win User

USB Drive

Have tried to create USB drive using Windows Media Creation Tool. On my first try the program shut down during the verification process. The second try, the program ran to completion but the USB contains no files. shows to be completely empty. Am I doing something wrong?

:)

neveready, Aug 5, 2015

2. USB drive

After installing Windows 10, my USB drive is not longer recognized.

DonnaWest100, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    USB Drive

Hello,

Just to verify, can you send us a screenshot of the error message so we could have a closer look? Also, when did this issue started happening? Lastly, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far? Please advise.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Antilope Win User

USB Drive

I downloaded the ISO with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and then used Rufus to create a USB drive. I've used that USB drive to upgrade and clean install Windows 10 on several computers successfully.

Antilope, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Hydranix Win User
    Download Windows 10 iso from here: Link

Scroll to bottom of page. Select "Windows 10" (the top option for me)

Select language, then you'll probably want the 64 bit version.

Download the ISO somewhere.

Now format your flash drive as FAT32 if you have a UEFI system, or NTFS if you have a legacy BIOS system.

If UEFI:
    Copy all files from ISO to flash drive and you're done.

If Legacy BIOS:
    Copy all files ISO to flash drive.
    Open elevated command prompt.
    Determine the drive letter of your flash drive. I'll use "K:"
    Type this command:
    Code: bootsect /nt60 K:[/quote] That should be all you need to do if I recall correctly. Haven't installed windows on a legacy system in a few years.

Hydranix, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Much easier to use Rufus to create the flash drive from the ISO:

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

USB Drive

1. USB Drive - Similar Threads - USB Drive

2. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.: I have a 2tb USB hard drive which is full of data that I cannot access any more. The device does not show up in file explorer but I can see it in the disk format tool, there is no drive letter assigned to it. Right clicking on the main partition and trying to assign a drive...
  3. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.: I have a 2tb USB hard drive which is full of data that I cannot access any more. The device does not show up in file explorer but I can see it in the disk format tool, there is no drive letter assigned to it. Right clicking on the main partition and trying to assign a drive...
  4. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  6. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  7. USB drive renamed automatically to a name I don't want

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drive renamed automatically to a name I don't want: Hello, I just bought this SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0, and for some unknown reason, the name of the drive is automatically changed to "IXPANDFLIP". Does anyone know how to change it to "USB Drive"?...
  8. USB drive renamed automatically to a name I don't want

USB drive renamed automatically to a name I don't want: Hello, I just bought this SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0, and for some unknown reason, the name of the drive is automatically changed to "IXPANDFLIP". Does anyone know how to change it to "USB Drive"?...
  9. Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?: My latest windows update got corrupted, leaving me unable to get past the login screen without bluescreening. At first I thought it was RAM Failure but my technician diagnosed it as an OS issue. Last time this happened on Windows 11, prompting me to reinstall on Windows...
  10. Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?

Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?: My latest windows update got corrupted, leaving me unable to get past the login screen without bluescreening. At first I thought it was RAM Failure but my technician diagnosed it as an OS issue. Last time this happened on Windows 11, prompting me to reinstall on Windows...