Windows 10: USB drives 'drop out'

Discus and support USB drives 'drop out' in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running Win 10 Home, build 16299. I have 4 USB drives that I connect with a USB 3.0 hub w/lighted switches. I have a problem with the drives (I'll... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cgibson, Mar 11, 2018.

1. cgibson Win User

USB drives 'drop out'

I'm running Win 10 Home, build 16299. I have 4 USB drives that I connect with a USB 3.0 hub w/lighted switches. I have a problem with the drives (I'll call it 'drop out'). After not being used for about an hour or more, I'm unable to rename, move or use any file due to the 'error code 0x8007045D".

At first I was correcting the error by restarting the PC. This took over 4 minutes of the "restarting" screen before it did restart. I think that during this time it was correcting the error code because then the drive worked as it should. I now just throw the switch off for a second and then back on - problem gone.

I don't know if the 'drop out' problem is caused by the USB Hub, the drives or the PC settings. This is a new laptop but I never had this problem with my old desktop PC.

Would anyone have heard of this from anyone else?
    Anyone have any suggestion how to fix?

Thanks for any help!!

:)

cgibson, Mar 11, 2018
  2. lacrumb Win User

File Recovery from External Hard Drive Takes More Than 24 Hours?

you did not answer the size of your hard drive..

The best way to transfer it to use a Larger USB and copy to the USB from the first drive and then from the USB to the second drive.

This can be done with drag and drop.

Or if you can connect the older drive to the new computer you can drag and drop from the older to the newer.

lacrumb, Mar 11, 2018
  3. Getting error 0x80780166 backing up windows 10

I had this problem , the usb driver for the usb port were my hard drive was connected

to dropped out causing the backup vhdx file in windowsimagebackup folder

to become corrupted. Goto windowsimagebackup folder

and delete everything and run backup again.

brianzahra, Mar 11, 2018
  4. jamis Win User

USB drives 'drop out'

Build 16299.xxx? There has been an issue with this problem and KB4090913 was issued to fix it, but was then superseded by KB4090914. Do you have either of these updates installed?

jamis, Mar 11, 2018
  5. cgibson Win User
    jamis - Thanks for your reply.

KB4090913 was successfully installed on 3/6/18.
    I did a 'repair install' of Win 10 on or about the same date. Before this last repair install I have been a problem with KB4041994 not installing (8 times). I now have a listing of updates that show the same KB4041994 "Last failed install attempt on 3/128 - 0x80070643" (9 times now).

cgibson, Mar 12, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Try grabbing and installing the KB4090914 update from the Microsoft Update Catalog manually. That often works, when automated attempts through Windows Update fail. OTOH, you could install WUMT from MajorGeeks and see if it will handle it for you (I usually try WUMT when WU doesn't work like it should myself).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 12, 2018
  7. cgibson Win User
    EdTittel - Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded and tried WUMT but still failed.
    You said "Try grabbing and installing the KB4090914 update from the Microsoft Update Catalog manually". Not sure how to do that. Could you explain further.

Thanks again.

cgibson, Mar 12, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

USB drives 'drop out'

I put a link in my original post where you see the Catalog entry (here it is again for convenience: KB4090914).

Here's what that looks like:

USB drives 'drop out' [​IMG]

Pick the one that's right for your PC (probably the top 1, the x64/64-bit item for 1709).
    Click the download link. It will download an executable installer file (with an .msi suffix, usually). Double-click the installer in Explorer, and it should install on its own. I figured there would be a tutorial on downloading and installing a Catalog update, but I can't find one. @Brink: if you think this would make a good (short) tutorial, I'd be happy to take a stab at it.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 12, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey @EdTittel,

Sure that would be fine. *Smile

Brink, Mar 12, 2018
  10. Plankton Win User
    Aside from the KB issues.....what type of USB devices are you connecting to the USB hub? Are they portable HDD's, flash drives or something other? It could be related to a power issue; that of not getting enough power from the hub to the connected USB device.

Plankton, Mar 12, 2018
  11. cgibson Win User
    EdTittel - Thanks for pointing link to the Catalog entry. The link goes to KB4090914 (I need KB4041994). Also I tried the 3 links for Windows 10 and all stated that it would not work on my PC.

Plankton - The devices are HDD. I can have 3 connected at a time or only 1 at a time and the same problem happens. When I have the problem I can open drives and folders and files. This shows me that the drives do not 'drop out', just not being able to rename or move files.

cgibson, Mar 12, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Ha! Ha! Sorry, I flubbed the number. If you visit the base URL for the Microsoft Update Catalog (it's at Microsoft Update Catalog) you can search for any KBstring you like. Here's what I got for KB4041994:

Are you sure that's correct? I was using the KB number (already quite familiar to me) from Jamis's post in thread #2. As far as I can tell your 4041994 update goes back to September 2017. It's no longer available in the update catalog, which usually means it's been superseded or obsoleted by some other, newer patch.

Here's a reddit remark on this patch I find pretty scary, and which comes from an unimpeachable source!

Methinks that you should probably let this one slide.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 12, 2018
  13. cgibson Win User

USB drives 'drop out'

EdTittle - Right after my last post I also did a search at MUC and got the same result as you did. I got a new laptop in mid January and it had Win 10 installed. I started having trouble with "error code 0x80070643. I did a "repair install". Everything was OK for a few weeks and then it started having trouble again.

I did another repair install but I'm back to the KB4041994 not installing because of the same error code, (had 10 fails before 2nd repair and now have 16 fails).

Is there a way to delete the KB or should I just not look to see another failure?

Thanks again!!!

cgibson, Mar 12, 2018
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Found a very interesting thread at answer.MS.com -- namely 2/15/18 thread Windows update database error -- problem sounds close, and same error code thrown. They explain it in 2/21/18 reply from MS moderator Janeane Cru as "this update might be a glitch in Windows update" and references this other answers thread Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems - Microsoft Community. The poster simply hid the update and reports no further problems. You can do this very easily with WUMT if you don't mind using a 3rd-party product. Sounds like the solution is "Hide & ignore until it goes away."

*Arrow Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

*Party
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 13, 2018
  15. cgibson Win User
    EdTitel - Thanks so much!! I'll use MUMT to hide it and I'll mark this post as Solved.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

cgibson, Mar 13, 2018
Thema:

USB drives 'drop out'

1. USB drives 'drop out' - Similar Threads - USB drives 'drop

2. USB ports go blank, just drop out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB ports go blank, just drop out.: USB ports go blank, sometimes return, otherwise reboot which doesn't always work. It's NOT DRIVER - THAT HASS BEEN CHANGED MULTIPLE TIMES. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-go-blank-just-drop-out/74d836ec-942a-4f87-afc6-0f84122579fd
  3. USB ports go blank, just drop out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB ports go blank, just drop out.: USB ports go blank, sometimes return, otherwise reboot which doesn't always work. It's NOT DRIVER - THAT HASS BEEN CHANGED MULTIPLE TIMES. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-go-blank-just-drop-out/74d836ec-942a-4f87-afc6-0f84122579fd
  4. USB ports go blank, just drop out.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. tp-link usb adapter keeps dropping out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    tp-link usb adapter keeps dropping out: HiI have a tp-link usb adpter. Before it would drop out every 5-7 minutes. I figured out that I have to turn airplane mode on then off and then it would work perfectly. Is there any way to not always have to turn airplane mode on then off and have any permanent solution.Thank...
  6. WiFi Drops Out

WiFi Drops Out: I have a Dell 17" laptop, fresh load of w10 Home (v2004, build 1901) and alleged updated drivers, Verizon fios through a Verizon Actiontec M1424WR router, 3 floor house, router on 1st, S end room (and no it can't move due to cabling, etc), whew. I'll be using the laptop on...
  7. Ethernet Drop Outs

Ethernet Drop Outs: Hi folks For a few weeks now I've been having a number of issues with my LAN connection dropping out on me. It happens every five minutes or so, for about a minute at a time. I've done troubleshooting on my router and there is no issue here, it's worth noting that...
  8. TP Link USB wifi dongle drops out

TP Link USB wifi dongle drops out: I have two of these on both PCs. I have just installed OS 10 Pro 64 bit and only one of the USB Dongles stay connected the other one on Pc 1 keeps dropping out after 5 minutes or so. I need to re-insert the USB or reconnect the WIFI to it. I have unticked the option in...
  9. WiFi drop out

WiFi drop out: My ASUS G551JW Windows 10 laptop WiFi keeps randomly shutting down. I have reset the adapter (Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-7260), updated with the latest drivers from Intel, all to no effect. This has been going on since the Windows 10 update in October. I have given up on a...
  10. USB flash drives 'drop off' consistently

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drives 'drop off' consistently: I have several flash drives, all 3.0 Cruzers of different sizes, plugged into an Anker powered USB hub. I can count on one if not most drives periodically (like every other day) no longer seen by the machine as reported by backup software failure notices. Open file explorer...