Windows 10: USB drives not recognized

Discus and support USB drives not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After recent update USB drives are not recognized; tried 3 separate ones. There is a sound when plugged in / taken out. The drives work OK on other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Polterry, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Polterry Win User

USB drives not recognized

After recent update USB drives are not recognized; tried 3 separate ones. There is a sound when plugged in / taken out. The drives work OK on other computers. USB keyboard and hub work. Connected to hub printer, scanner and cordless mouse work.
    Device manager shows no faults

:)

Polterry, Dec 2, 2016

2. USB drives are not recognized.

What brand/model is your laptop? Updating the BIOS may be something to try.

tamara_sadel, Dec 2, 2016
  3. USB drives are not recognized.

No message, no error. Just nothing. I updated 2- generic USB Hubs, 2- USB Root Hubs and one USB composite device. Thanks you your reply

DennisStotts, Dec 2, 2016
  4. Diogenese Win User

I know, me too. Help plz?

Diogenese, Dec 2, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    Do a System Restore to a time when it was working.
    You can also go to Start/Search and type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files.

spunk, Dec 2, 2016
  6. TrustMe Win User
    Try this
    Open an Admin command prompt
    press Enter after each command

diskpart
    automount enable
    exit
    exit

credit Steve C for the answer

TrustMe, Dec 3, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    You beat me to replying!

Steve C, Dec 3, 2016
  8. TrustMe Win User

lol Happens to me all the time. I type out a long reply and someone posts the answer seconds before me.

TrustMe, Dec 3, 2016
  9. Polterry Win User
    Thanks for help guys. I ran SFC and diskpart before restarting and problem disappeared

Polterry, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB drives not recognized - Similar Threads - USB drives recognized

2. usb drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb drive not recognized: Microsoft updated my win10 then shut down my computer. I have just loaded their crippling mode s and am trying to download Linux from usb but computer down not seem to recognize there is a usb drive plugged in....
  3. USB Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Drive Not Recognized: Hi, I have a USB drive that is not showing up in file explorer. Just yesterday it was working fine, but when I plugged it into my computer today, it is not showing up. I've tried updating and reinstalling the drivers from device manager and restarting my computer, but that...
  4. computer not recognizing usb drive

computer not recognizing usb drive: my computer stopped recognizing my usb drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-not-recognizing-usb-drive/087d0d1a-104a-4f04-81e1-ca3c40e89ca5
  5. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  6. Old USB hard drive not recognized

Old USB hard drive not recognized: Hello, I have an old USB hard drive that is not recognized after using Windows 10. It says Unknown USB Device (Invalid Configuration Descriptor). I have tried updating the driver automatically but it says that it is already the most updated driver (driver provider...
  7. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  8. Windows doesn't recognize USB Drive

Windows doesn't recognize USB Drive: I can't access my USB Drive on Windows 10 Education. When I want to delete data/file from USB Drive then they display on the screen "Access Denied" written over there and also same problem occurs for the data/file copy/paste. Even while formatting the USB Drive then they...
  9. Seagate USB drive not always recognized

Seagate USB drive not always recognized: I have two USB Seagate drives I use to hold my backups. When I plug one of them in (to a USB port on the computer), it/they are not always recognized. I have to plug and unplug the power and communications cords more than once before the drive is recognized. I have tried all...
  10. USB Drive No Longer Recognized?

in Windows 10 Support
    USB Drive No Longer Recognized?: Hey everyone! So, I've been running into a weird situation and I was hoping to run into some clarification on what I could do to fix the problem. I got a 128GB Flash Drive which I proceeded to install a portable, bootable Fedora install on. Of course, naturally, since...