Windows 10: USB drives that won't eject

Discus and support USB drives that won't eject in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Like, apparently, many people, I frequently find that USB drives won't eject because they are supposedly in use. I have seen this question posted in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ricecrispies, Dec 20, 2017.

1. USB drives that won't eject

Like, apparently, many people, I frequently find that USB drives won't eject because they are supposedly in use. I have seen this question posted in many places, but I have yet to see a solution that works.

There are two solutions which are supposed to work, but don't. Firstly I have read that I should find the guilty process in process explorer and then terminate it. However there is no way to filter the searches in Process Explorer just to show ones with the drive letter concerned. All it does is list every single process until it gets to the 10000th process and then gives up.

The other supposed solution is to use IOBit Unlocker, but even though this claims to identify and unlock locked files, after I run it I still can't eject the locked drive.

Is there a solution which actually works, apart from logging out and logging back in again?

:)

ricecrispies, Dec 20, 2017

2. Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Dec 20, 2017
  3. windows 10 Safely Remove Hardware Icon Missing and Can't Eject

After upgrading windows 10 home edition from windows 7 home edition my USB eject button won't show up, and my computer can find it. Device manager don't list it and won't find it. Device manager finds every thing else but not My USB drive They work use
    them in other computers, But not in my computer. The pic below is my USB Drive I don't have an E Drive only C and F Drive. the Local Drive F is my USB one if you look down at bottom right you will see where the USB eject button was suppose to be but Grayed
    out and says ... Help need more info Please just ask HELP
    USB drives that won't eject [​IMG]

StephenWhit, Dec 20, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

USB drives that won't eject

Depends - external HDDs or usb flash drives? I wouldn't say 'frequently', but I've seen both occasionally. For HDDs it's often Task Manager I need to close. Not found anything consistent for flash drives, but logging out is the only fix I've founds so far.

5. HDDs. It happened to me twice yesterday, the same drive in different computers. The second time, not even logging out worked and eventually I had to reboot. I'd tried everything I could think of, including disabling the antivirus. I'll remember your hint about Task Manager for the future, but it clearly wasn't the culprit yesterday.

6. Bree New Member
    Indexing?

7. lx07 Win User
    I get this on occasion on my dock (both SATA and connected USB drives). It seems to be (for me anyway) to do with the NTFS metadata but don't know how to stop it.

I use sync.exe to flush buffers then just disconnect which is more of a workaround than a solution.

Alternatively you can (apparently) offline it manually but it is a bit more long winded than just clicking on taskbar shortcut so I don't bother. See mount - Safely remove external USB drive fails due to $extend - Super User

8. cereberus Win User

You can change settings to disable write cacheing and then you do not need to eject drive.

In reality, it is only slower usb flash drives or sd cards that need safe ejecting anyway.

cereberus, Dec 20, 2017
  9. Possibly. I would call it a bug if Windows doesn't know how to stop indexing a removable drive at the appropriate moment.

10. I don't have a solution either, but it does happen. I have 2 systems (you can look at my system specs), The W10 Pro system never has a problem ejecting with either USB HDD or USB flash drives. They all have the write caching ON ! Now the other system is a W10 Home system, can never eject a USB flash drive, but has no problem with USB HDD's. All Flash drives there have caching turned OFF for Flash drives and caching on for HDD's.

The big difference between the 2 systems is that the HOME system is a UPGRADE from W8.1, while the PRO system is a Clean install ! I believe some underlying software that I can't find on the HOME system, wants to hold the USB flash drives. I've isolated it down that if the system WRITES to the flash drive, It can be ejected, but if The system only reads from the flash drive, it will not eject ! Been looking for a solution for years now !

storageman, Dec 20, 2017
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    This is happening for me too and as I wrote on a post of mine, it was the Superfetch service. I did flushed the windows\prefetch folder contents and it seems fine so far. Maybe something got corrupted there.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB drives that won't eject - Similar Threads - USB drives won't

2. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  3. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  4. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Issues to eject USB drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues to eject USB drive: I plugged in a USB drive to my computer Windows 10, supplied the BitLocker password. I then opened the drive in the File Explorer. I opened 3 Word documents and 2 JPG files. I didn't make any changes. I then went to "Show Hidden Icons" on the task bar. I had no applications...
  6. usb drive won't eject on windows 10

usb drive won't eject on windows 10: usb drive won't eject on windows 10:i found event with ID 225 for MS Windows Defender thank you very much in Event Viewer. Associated file with it is MsMpEng.exe. Neither of them found in Task Manager, so i cant end task. I can see MsMpEng.exe in Process Explorer though. With...
  7. 20h2 - usb hard drive won't eject

20h2 - usb hard drive won't eject: I've searched this forum and tried several solutions with no joy... After running freefilesync yesterday my WD Elements usb drive would not eject using the task manager. Tried explorer but there is no eject option that I can see. Also tried disk management but no eject option...
  8. DVD Drive won't eject manually !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD Drive won't eject manually !: I have not used my DVD drive for awhile on Windows 10. Today I could not open the drive with the manual button to put my disc in. I had to click the DVD drive in the menu and it then opened. After playing the CD, again it would not eject with the manual button I had to right...
  9. Ejecting usb drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ejecting usb drive: After updating to Windows 10 version 2004, when trying to eject an external usb drive, I continuously receive the error message that the drive is in use and to wait and try again later. No matter how long I wait, this message recurs when nothing I can see is using the drive....
  10. Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive: I'm struggling with a peculiar little problem. My old faithful windows 10 computer will never eject the USB thumb drive. It doesn't ever show any errors. Its quite puzzling. I have several usb devices currently working including a 4TB usb hard drive, usb keyboard and mouse...