Windows 10: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?

Discus and support USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; One Last idea to try. Some update files get downloaded and become corrupt. If this happens you can delete or rename the folder and it will be recreated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 2harts4ever, Oct 3, 2016.

1. mrgeek Win User

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?

One Last idea to try. Some update files get downloaded and become corrupt. If this happens you can delete or rename the folder and it will be recreated in the same location.
    Hit WindowsKey + X/Command Prompt (admin). Type net stop wuauserv to stop Windows Update service. Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution Rename it SoftwareDistributionOLD. In Command Prompt again, type net start wuauserv to restart Windows Update. It will create a new SoftwareDistribution folder and download new copies of Updates, hopefully less any corrupted ones. You can open both the old and new folder in separate windows to compare files. Try Windows Update again from the Action Center. Hopefully ... Worst comes to worst, you can get back to Square 1 by deleting new SoftwareDistribution folder and renaming the OLD one back to orig.

mrgeek, Oct 14, 2016

2. Morning mrgeek,

I really appreciate you hanging in here with me on this problem.

This morning when I turned on the computer I discovered I had to log-in again. Prior to running the Clean install last night I had it set so my log-in was automatic. I finally figured out how to get it back to automatic log-in and now I am ready to follow up on your last two responses.

(1) There was only one error in my Event Viewer during the time I was trying to do a 'clean install'. This happened right about in the middle of my attempt to do a 'clean install'. It said:

Log Name: Application
    Source: SideBySide
    Date: 10/14/2016 9:04:13 PM
    Event ID: 35
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Description:
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\lync.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\UccApi.DLL" on line 1. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="15.0.0.0". Definition is UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="15.0.0.0". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">35</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-15T01:04:13.268140900Z" />
    <EventRecordID>45996</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>PhilandDonna</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="15.0.0.0"</Data>
    <Data>UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="15.0.0.0"</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\lync.exe.Manifest</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\UccApi.DLL</Data>
    <Data>1</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

B

(2) You recommending that I don't go to a repair shop or buy a new computer came just in time because I was ready to do just that today. Your explanation why I shouldn't put me at ease for now. Thanks for the advice. When your 74 these kind of problems make your 'armpits' sweat ...lol

(3) According to the list of Cumulative Updates on the link you posted my last successful one was KB3176938 on Aug. 31.

(4) You also added another suggestion to try to get rid of my problem. Before trying it I want to make sure I am reading it correctly before I give it a try. When you were telling me to enter items in my Admin command prompt like net stop wuauserv

and net start wuauserv did you mean to have spaces between the words? or should the words run together like: netstartwuauserv ?

(5) Then when you say to try Windows Update again from Action Center are you referring to the normal 'Check for Updates' button?

I have to get the Mrs. out of the house today to try to whittle down 'her' list of 'honey-do's' before she throws me and this computer out in the street.

Once again I really appreciate you and the others for sticking with me. *Smile

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Oct 14, 2016
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    Ummm.. @2harts4ever.... what are you calling a "clean install"? The first step in a clean install is to wipe out the previous installation of Windows and install to a "clean" blank space. So, if a clean install fails, there is no way for you to get a login again because there is nothing previous there to go back to. It sounds to me like you were just doing another in place upgrade, which we know will fail.

If you want to do a true clean install then you boot the computer from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. You select the custom install option, you delete every partition that is listed on the hard drive (which erases everything on the hard drive). You will be left with 1 big unallocated space. You install Windows to the unallocated space and let it set up the hard drive the way that it wants to.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Saltgrass Win User

The error number and listing for a prior post both seem to agree it is related to SideBySide and the listing seems to name Office 15, whatever version you are running.

You might try running a repair of Office to see if that will clear up the situation which may be the x64 vs. 32 bit version of the software...not sure.

If that doesn't work maybe reinstall Office 15.

I suppose you could try running a System File Check and possibly the DISM commands to work on the component store.

Saltgrass, Oct 14, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User
    Not sure why Office activation would stop a clean install. Is it a full or trial version that came with the computer ? Is it Office 365 or 2013/2016 ?
    "my last successful one was KB3176938 on Aug. 31."
    That why I guessed that. The 9/13 one was so screwed up that many people could not install it so they 'fixed' it with the 9/20 one, if you read the contents on the MS page. Now that I think about it, I think I eventually did had to clear the SoftwareDistribution folder to install Brink's msu file which I downloaded because the Windows Update one was stuck.
    Yes, WITH the spaces. I did leave out one step though, to stop and start bits. After stopping updates, net stop bits and after restarting update service, net start bits. Here's my command prompt window showing successful commands but in between stop-start you will rename the SoftwareDistribution folder before restarting service. If you downloaded the Oct 11 msu package from Brink's Windows10 News link already, you can try to install that first before retrying normal Windows Update. Good Luck, have a great weekend.

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10? [​IMG]

mrgeek, Oct 14, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If it is a clean install, there would not be an Office activation there to stop it. Clean install means everything is erased prior to installing Windows.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2016
  7. Hi NavyLCDR,

I used the first paragraph in response #23 ("going to Settings >Update and Security >Recovery >More Recovery Options > Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows > And, After clicking on the last item it takes you to a Microsoft page where you actually download the tool?")

I thought I was doing a clean install ... guess I wasn't. After reading your description of what a Clean Install really is I am not to sure I would try it right now because if it goes the same route as their Cumulative Updates I would be in a world of trouble.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Oct 15, 2016
  8. USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?

Hi mrgeek,

I got wuauserv and bits stopped as you said but when I went to rename the Software Distribution folder it first said I had to be the Administrator (and I am) and then a screen came up and said the folder or a file in it was in use by another folder. And, I have no idea what the folder could be!

Also, I am using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 which I installed in December 2014 when I bought this computer. I notice that sometime I must have put some updates on because I also show listings for Office 2014 and 2015 in my Programs folder. I think both 2014 and 2015 had something to do with my Power Point Viewer.

Thanks and regards,

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    What you have now is 1 update installed over another update, another update installed over that, etc. On a clean installed you get the one cumulative update to bring you current.

NavyLCDR, Oct 15, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User
    2harts4everI got wuauserv and bits stopped as you said but when I went to rename the Software Distribution folder it first said I had to be the Administrator (and I am) and then a screen came up and said the folder or a file in it was in use by another folder
    Stop wuauserv and bits, restart. Verify in Task Manager that service is stopped (r-click to stop, if not; see screen). Try to rename by adding OLD to name end. If this fails again, Delete files in SoftDist/Downloads folder; the FILES, not the FOLDER. Same for nearby DataStore folder. This will cleared all backups of successful updates and failed, uninstalled ones. Use Recycle Bin if you need to System Restore (I hope you've been creating restore points before each 'project'). Run Brink's msu package that you prev dl'd. If successful, restart WinUpdate via command prompts. Check in Action Center that you're up to date.

I'm unclear on your Office history. Did the HP come with trial 2013 and you bought a full license digitally or did you buy retail with disc and installed it ? Did you buy 14 and 15 and install to get Visio Viewer or Preview version ?
    Eventually, you need to resolve the failed upgrade or clean install issue. In Control Panel/Programs & Features, find Office 2013 and run Repair. If you got free upgrade 14 or 15 to use Visio, uninstall since 2013 has Visio. You can add it by Add or Remove features in the Change Office 2013 screen. If you bought 15, it supersedes 2013. In all casses, record your serial numbers. This tool will find your orig OEM and Office keys - ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

mrgeek, Oct 15, 2016
  11. mrgeek Win User
    NavyLCDR; I can see his reluctance to get the HP to bare metal before trying and clean install via usb.
    I posted this Brink tutorial for him to use in lieu of the media creation usb. -
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    Brink refers to this tool as a 'clean install'. I ran it it last month on my own computer to resolve a serious Search issue. It looked like it gave me a clean version to start (I had to create a User, reinstall all programs, apps, etc), left the Recovery drive intact and removed extra efi and recovery partitions that were there before.
    All this, aside, I agree that he eventually needs to resolve why in-place upgrade or clean install tool fail and test it when he has time to spend on it.

mrgeek, Oct 15, 2016
  12. sn00ker Win User
    @mrgeek .... A clean install IMO to wipe the WHOLE drive of everything on the drive which includes removing the bogus hidden recovery drive and all the crap HP loads on its recovery drive . Wipe it all off is the best way. Afterwards once it's wipe clean by reformatting it, then and only then do you reinstall windows CLEAN, were by you would reinstall all your programs / hardware . Man, the amount of time already spent here by 2harts4ever if he would of just done a clean install his system would of been much better off.

A couple of things I would ask 2harts4ever is do you know how to enter your Bios screen ? What kind of Office do you own, is it on a disc with license keys or was it already installed when you bought the computer ?

sn00ker, Oct 15, 2016
  13. USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?

Hi snooker,

Yes, (1) I know how to enter my BIOS (although I am by no means an expert once I am in there ...lol); and (2) My Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 is on a disc which I purchased and yes I have the disk and the Product Key. For some reason I downloaded the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit and right now I can't remember why. I put it on this computer soon after I purchased it before Christmas in 2014.

As for 2014 and 2015 Office I honestly can't recall why I installed any files from these Programs although reference to Office 2014 refers to Power Point Viewer.

Thanks and regards,

14. Hi mrgeek, NavyLCDR, snooker, Saltgrass and all,

(mrgeek): Well I finally got the Software Distribution folder renamed to OLD but after following the rest of your instructions the 'msu' for KB3194798 joined the ranks of the 'fallen'. Should I still delete the NEW Software Distribution folder and rename the one I renamed OLD back to just 'Software Distribution' folder?

I am not giving up but I am going to put my Windows Update problem on the shelve for now and take a breather and enjoy the computer like a person is supposed too without having to jump through circles to get it working correctly. End of my rant ...lol

(For Everyone): Prior to going to church this morning I ran three 'sfc /scannow' tests and shutdown completely after each one before rebooting. The scans said I had corrupted files but apparently they couldn't find or repair the one causing my problem. I have also tried running 'dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth' but it only shows 'error 193' ??

The imput from all of you has been above and beyond anything I ever expected. I am just sorry that up to now I haven't been able to fix it for your sake as well as mine. But believe you me I haven't given up. Like I just said I just need to give my 74-year-old "brain-housing-group" some time off from this problem.

However, I am going to be posting a new Thread in the near future about my Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 installation in case any of you want to look for it and give me your thoughts.

Once again .... thank you all for your attempts to correct my Update problem. I have been messing with computers since the days of Windows95 and for one reason or the other this new 'Windows 10 Home' seems to be the one kicking my 'a_s' ... especially when it comes to just automatically downloading and installing these updates.

PS: Your continued thoughts on this subject (Windows Updates) are always welcome!

Thanks and regards,

15. sn00ker Win User
    Hi 2harts4ever .... Okay great . You don't need to be expert just knowledgeable enough to know how to set up the boot order. If you go into your bios look for "Boot" tab and select that, view your boot order and see if you see usb . If you do change your order and make the usb first on the list, it will tell you how to make changes and make sure you also select to save it that way ( F10 ) . Once you figure out the boot order have it set to usb, well next time you restart your computer and the usb flash drive is plugged in it will load the Windows install process. Now let me ask you do you use any of those HP programs they have installed with your windows? Most people don't bother using what the manufacturer preinstall software on windows ( HP ) Mainly because most are crap. What hardware do you have ? I know so far a printer, anything else ? Do you know how to view the Devise Manager ? And another thing by any chance do you have a external hard drive, they're good for back ups and stuff ?

sn00ker, Oct 16, 2016
Thema:

1. USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10? - Similar Threads - USB Flash Drive

2. Installing windows 10 with USB flash drive not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows 10 with USB flash drive not working: Just finished building my PC, I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk II Mobo. I went to install windows 10 from a flash drive, set the flash drive as boot priority, all PC parts working fine and BIOS page is fine. I boot up the PC again to install windows 10 and then THESE screens...
  3. BSOD Trying to Create Windows 10 Installation Flash Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Trying to Create Windows 10 Installation Flash Drive: Greetings, I am attempting to create a USB installation drive so I can reinstall a friend's machine. Yes...I know I can reset his machine. Please bear with me. Every time I run the media creation tool, the data downloads, and then my machine freezes and I get a Blue...
  4. trying to install windows 10 on usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    trying to install windows 10 on usb flash drive: so im trying to install win10 using media creation tool , but when i get to about 30% in the verifying stage, it says i dont have enough space. it cant be the usb because ive used multiple with storage all 8gb or higher. any help would be apricated, thanks! submitted by...
  5. Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive: Upon booting the computer from my usb flash drive which has the windows 10 20H2 ISO using Rufus, I am met with a screen which has a white line on the top left corner of my screen. After blinking for a few seconds, the Windows Logo shows for a split second and then the system...
  6. Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive: I bought a licence from the Microsoft store so my Windows 10 is legit. When I try to create a USB flash drive Recovery, I get the error that some files are missing so the Recovery could not be created. Help please....
  7. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...: I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go drive, whereas the Super Talent...
  8. Making a Windows 10 USB Install flash drive

Making a Windows 10 USB Install flash drive: Is it legal to make a Windows 10 USB install flash drive for a friend in another state? Thanks, 16378
  9. Create Password Reset Disk on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Password Reset Disk on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10: How to: Create Password Reset Disk on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10 How to Create a Password Reset Disk on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10 If you forget your Windows password, you can use a password reset disk to create a new one. It is recommend that you create a...
  10. Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10: How to: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 How to Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 from This tutorial will show you how to create a bootable USB flash drive that can be used to install Windows 10 with or without UEFI....