Windows 10: USB flash drive not recognized -- light keeps blinking?

Discus and support USB flash drive not recognized -- light keeps blinking? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I recently purchased a Windows 10 tablet, everything else works fine except one annoying issue. I have a 64 GB USB 2.0 flash drive, which works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by muse, Dec 6, 2015.

1. muse Win User

USB flash drive not recognized -- light keeps blinking?

Hi
    I recently purchased a Windows 10 tablet, everything else works fine except one annoying issue. I have a 64 GB USB 2.0 flash drive, which works well on my desktop PC (Windows 7). I also have another 16 GB USB stick (USB 2.0). Both USB sticks work fine on my desktop PC. However, when I test the full size USB port on my tablet, only the 16 GB USB stick worked. For the 64 GB USB stick, as soon as I plug it in, the USB light starts to blink forever.

While the USB light blinks, I keep hearing the windows sound for detecting new USB device, but see no notification messages. When I open DISK management or File explorer, I see no trace of this USB stick at all. I also checked "device manager", under USB controllers, I do NOT see any USB Mass storage there, and there are no unknown device in the device manager either. I tried re-scan devices, restart computer, clean USB registry ... None of them helps. Then I choose to show "hidden devices" in device manager, and now see a new "USB Mass Storage Device" appear under USB controllers, however the status is "not connected", even though the USB stick is plugged in and the light is blinking.

As I said, I tested the USB stick with my other computer and worked fine. I also tested the tablet's USB port by plugging in other USB devices, such as a 16 GB USB stick, a MicroSD USB reader with a 32GB MicroSD inserted, a USB mouse, etc. and they all worked fine. Now I am really puzzled. It does not look like my USB stick is dead or the USB port on the tablet has any problem. So what could have gone wrong?

:)

muse, Dec 6, 2015

2. USB ports don't recognize devices after computer has been on for a while.

When I first turn on my computer, the USB ports all work fine, but after I've been on my computer for a while, when I plug in a USB flash drive or USB external drive, it doesn't show up in My Computer. The flash drive or external drive lights up momentarily,
    then the light goes out. The only way I can get the ports to recognize the devices is to reboot my computer, which is inconvenient if I'm working on something. I've checked the USB controllers, and they are reportedly working properly, so I'm stumped as
    to why they suddenly stop working.

MicLaMarca, Dec 6, 2015
  3. Recognize DataTraveler after W10 update

My two usb data travelers (Kingston) worked find on my ThinkPad before the upgrade. Now they are not recognized - they do not show up anywhere and the activity light on the usb drives flashes abnormally fast. Something seems to be blocking them . . .
    Help Please - Thanks - Larry

EylarNewton, Dec 6, 2015
  4. Chris2005 Win User

My USB flash drives always blink in one way or another... my Cruzer slowly pulsates until I start accessing it, then it blinks more frequently.

So, you've tried plugging the flash drive into another USB port?

Chris2005, Dec 6, 2015
  5. muse Win User
    I don't care if the USB flash drive blinks or not, but the thing is that the system does not recognize it. It seems that the system keeps trying to do something with the USB flash, but fails to do so, that's why the light keeps blinking and the usb drive is not recognized/connected in the system.

The tablet only has one full size USB port, so I can't test other USB ports of this tablet. But I tested the USB flash on other computers, and test the tablet's USB port with other USB devices. All worked fine....

muse, Dec 6, 2015
  6. Chris2005 Win User
    Hmm, and your other flash drive works in the USB port...

Have you checked Disk Management?

If you have the Computer icon on the desktop, right click it and click Manage, then go to Disk Management under the Storage section... is the USB flash drive even listed there?

I found another post that the reason their flash drive wasn't showing up was because it was assigned the same drive letter as another drive...

Chris2005, Dec 7, 2015
  7. muse Win User
    I checked Disk management, and don't see the USB Drive... I don't think it's a drive letter conflict....

muse, Dec 7, 2015
  8. Chris2005 Win User

What tablet model do you have exactly?

Chris2005, Dec 7, 2015
  9. muse Win User
    RCA cambio w101 V2

muse, Dec 7, 2015
  10. Chris2005 Win User
    Thanks. I contacted RCA to see if they can offer any insights as to your issue. *Smile

Chris2005, Dec 8, 2015
  11. muse Win User
    Oh, thanks very much...... I actually also contacted RCA support, but received no response so far..

I now suspect maybe it's something wrong with that 64GB USB flash drive as I have tested the USB flash drive on a few other devices.
    1. The USB stick works on my home PC (win 7). I tested it with the PC's USB port, an extended USB port that my LCD monitor offers... all worked no problem, immediately being recognized by my home PC.
    2. When plug into my Win 10 Tablet's USB port, the light just keeps blinking and nothing happens.
    3. When plug into my work PC (win 7), the USB light is on (not blinking this time), but it is not recognized, (nothing happens similarly to the Win tablet)
    4. When plug into my nettop PC (win 7), same as my work PC. Light is on, but nothing happens, not being recognized.
    5. When plug into one of my multimedia players, it works again. The multimedia player can read files from the USB stick and play the movie no problem.

This is really weird....

12. Hisoka4 Win User
    Try to use a cable with two usb output
    more power may be needed for the drive, so the extra usb port may have to connect to
    power source. Actually, any available pc usb port can do...

Hisoka4, Dec 8, 2015
  13. Chris2005 Win User

Could it be a driver issue with Windows 10?

Chris2005, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB flash drive not recognized -- light keeps blinking? - Similar Threads - USB flash drive

2. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  3. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  4. Blinking cursor Windows USB Flash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blinking cursor Windows USB Flash: I'm using LinuxI followed these steps:1- created an exFAT partition on flash USB2- copy content of Windows 10 ISO to flash USB3- boot from USBThis is what I get:a blinking cursor:...
  5. Blinking cursor Windows USB Flash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blinking cursor Windows USB Flash: I'm using LinuxI followed these steps:1- created an exFAT partition on flash USB2- copy content of Windows 10 ISO to flash USB3- boot from USBThis is what I get:a blinking cursor:...
  6. Blinking cursor Windows USB Flash

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  8. flash drive -- no light

flash drive -- no light: I bought a new Sandisk Cruzer 64 gb flash drive. But the little light on it does not work (in any USB port on any computer). When I google this, all the articles talk about a failed flash drive. But the drive works perfectly. All my computers recognize the drive and files...
  9. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive: why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20 PM EST...
  10. Modem lights keep blinking but no internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Modem lights keep blinking but no internet: I am using TP-Link W8968 model since last year. Since last 3-4 days, the internet works fine without any problem but suddenly after few min or hours, internet light and LAN light continuously blinking even I don't surf anything. To find out what is happening in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb flash drive keeps flashing when installed

2. usb is blinking red and not recognized drive

3. flashdrive not working keeps blinking

4. usb flash sick flashing but not reconised