Windows 10: USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up

Discus and support USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I start my desktop computer with a USB flash drive inserted in either of the case's top front two USB 3.0 slots, neither Windows Explorer nor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by highstream, Feb 3, 2018.

1. USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up

When I start my desktop computer with a USB flash drive inserted in either of the case's top front two USB 3.0 slots, neither Windows Explorer nor XYplorer (my main file mgr) recognize it, even after refreshing. But after pulling it out and reinserting, they do. How do I go about figuring the source of the problem? There is another USB 3.0 header on the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 mobo, but it has a broken pin, which led to using the unused one. Win 10 Pro x64 1709. Thanks,

:)

highstream, Feb 3, 2018

2. open USB

Hello,

When using a USB flash drive, no additional cables or adapters are required. To answer your query, you may refer to the steps below on how to open a USB flash drive:

• Plug your USB flash drive into an available USB port on your computer.
    • The drive will appear as a removable disk and will bring up a window showing the memory stick is now seen as a drive on your computer.
      You will also get a menu or options to use the device.
    • Select Open folder to view files.

For further queries, feel free to post back.

Stephanie Sal, Feb 3, 2018
  3. Message on Screen after creating bootable WIn 10 USB flash drive using Media Creation Tool?

Hi,

I created a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive using the instructions on this site. After the download finshed, it verified and then created the Windows 10 installation media. The next screen was Your USB Flash Drive is Ready so I clicked on the Finish tab.
    A screen then showed briefly saying something along the lines of Cleaning Up Files...This may take several minutes. After five seconds the screen disappeared. Are you supposed to remove the USB flash drive as soon as that screen has disappeared or are you
    supposed to wait several minutes to see if another screen comes up to say the Clean up of files process has finished? I wasn't sure what to do? Has everybody else seen this Cleaning Up files screen?

Thanks

Sportsfan_881, Feb 3, 2018
  4. USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up

Maybe uninstalling all USB flash drives will resolve the issue.

1. Please type Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu and press Enter key to open Device Manager.

2. From Device Manager expand Disk drives.

3. From Device Manager menu bar click View and click Show hidden devices.

4. Under the Disk drives one at time right click USB flash drives and select Uninstall.

5. Reconnect your flash drive to install new driver for it.

Reboot to check if issue resolved.

FreeBooter, Feb 3, 2018
  5. Run my favorite program USB Device Tree Viewer . Then plug in the USB drive to see if the device is detected at all.

If not, then I would check the physical connection. Does this happen with all devices, including 2.0 devices?

If it does show up then save the report - File->Save report from selected item. Then plug in the device again in the same port so that Windows does detect the drive. Save the report again and compare them to see if there's any difference.

USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Feb 3, 2018
  6. Plankton Win User
    I always thought....that the USB drive, being portable is not meant to be left in and used on a permanent basis as there is no code/firmware for it to do so. I could be wrong.

Plankton, Feb 3, 2018
  7. FreeBooter: I didn't realize it at the time of the OP, but the problem applies only to the behavior of a specific PNY USB 3.0 flash drive, whether in a 3.0 or 2.0 port. A different USB stick, a Patriot, shows on boot. Back to the PNY, in Disk Drives it shows, or showed until I deleted it. Having done that and rebooted, the file manager behavior for it is still the same; i.e., it's seen after being reinserted. However, it no longer shows in Disk Drives, whether plugged in at boot or after reinsertion, and no new hardware is found, so no driver to install. The current list is below. The "USD DISK 3.0 USB Device" was there when the PNY was, and it's driver is current.

PolarNettles: Did you check the link you offered? There have been changes re Tree Viewer.

Plankton: Permanent??

highstream, Feb 4, 2018
  8. USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up

What changes are you referring to? It looks the same to me.

PolarNettles, Feb 4, 2018
  9. At the site you link, the Tree View links are just code to use with win 1607. And the other link on that page goes to an MS USB View page, where it's described as part of Windows Debugging Tools. But in those I can't find anything called USB View or that suggests that. I assume you have a lot more familiarity with these tools than I do.

highstream, Feb 4, 2018
  10. The download link is at the top of the page - USB Device Tree Viewer

11. Thanks for clarifying that. See the screenshots below: left by the arrow is immediately after reboot and right is after reinserting the USB stick. What does "set address failed" specifically mean? Thanks,

highstream, Feb 4, 2018
  12. Can you save the report (File->Save report from selected item) in both the good and bad cases and attach them to this thread?

13. USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up

This basically means that the Windows USB driver reported some error communicating with the device and couldn't even get the descriptor.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any documentation from MS about what exactly the CM_PROB_FAILED_POST_START error means during this phase.

Since it looks like your USB controller drivers are up to date and this only happens with one device, I'd say it's a device problem. Does this happen if you plug in the USB drive into another computer?

Code: +++++++++++++++++ Device Information ++++++++++++++++++ Device Description : Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) Device Path : \\.\usb#vid_0000&pid_0004#5&326c0cbc&0&17#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed} Device ID : USB\VID_0000&PID_0004\5&326C0CBC&0&17 Hardware IDs : USB\SET_ADDRESS_FAILURE Driver KeyName : {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}\0027 (GUID_DEVCLASS_USB) Driver Inf : C:\WINDOWS\inf\usb.inf Legacy BusType : PNPBus Class : USB Class GUID : {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000} (GUID_DEVCLASS_USB) Interface GUID : {a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed} (GUID_DEVINTERFACE_USB_DEVICE) Enumerator : USB Location Info : Port_#0017.Hub_#0004 Manufacturer Info : (Standard USB Host Controller) Capabilities : 0x64 (Removable, SilentInstall, RawDeviceOK) Status : 0x01806400 (DN_HAS_PROBLEM, DN_DISABLEABLE, DN_REMOVABLE, DN_NT_ENUMERATOR, DN_NT_DRIVER) Problem Code : 43 (CM_PROB_FAILED_POST_START) Address : 17 Power State : D3 (supported: D0, D3, wake from D0) ---------------- Connection Information --------------- Connection Index : 0x11 (17) Connection Status : 0x02 (DeviceFailedEnumeration) Current Config Value : 0x00 Device Address : 0x00 (0) Is Hub : 0x00 (no) Number Of Open Pipes : 0x00 (0) Device Bus Speed : 0x02 (High-Speed) -> not true, see below in Connection Information V2[/quote] Also, I notice that port 15 has some error (indicated by yellow bangs in usbtreeview). It's there in both the good and bad cases so I don't think it's related to the flash drive issue, but do you have some device plugged into that port?

Code: =========================== USB Port15 =========================== Connection Status : 0x03 (Device general failure) Port Chain : 3-15 ======================== USB Device ======================== DriverKeyName : ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER ---------------- Connection Information --------------- Connection Index : 0x00 (0) Connection Status : 0x03 (DeviceGeneralFailure) Current Config Value : 0x00 Device Address : 0x00 (0) Is Hub : 0x00 (no) Number Of Open Pipes : 0x00 (0) Device Bus Speed : 0x00 (Low-Speed) ---------------------- Device Descriptor ---------------------- bLength : 0x00 (0 bytes) -------------------- String Descriptors ------------------- none[/quote]

PolarNettles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up

1. USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up - Similar Threads - USB flash drive

2. USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer: I have two computers side by side. I know the flash drives are good because they work on my other computer. When I plug either of them into my main PC, I hear the "ding" that they are being detected, but they won't show up in my file explorer with my other drives. I have...
  3. USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer: I have two computers side by side. I know the flash drives are good because they work on my other computer. When I plug either of them into my main PC, I hear the "ding" that they are being detected, but they won't show up in my file explorer with my other drives. I have...
  4. Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer: I have a sandisk ultra flash drive that I made the mistake of plugging into a printer so that it could scan files directly on to it. I should have known better as printers always find a way to make your job harder, but, it ended up corrupting the flash drive and now I'm stuck...
  5. Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer: I have a sandisk ultra flash drive that I made the mistake of plugging into a printer so that it could scan files directly on to it. I should have known better as printers always find a way to make your job harder, but, it ended up corrupting the flash drive and now I'm stuck...
  6. Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Back up to USB Flash drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up to USB Flash drive: When backing up my laptop I use the Windows 7 back up procedure in control panel to create a system image to a usb hard drive. I recently advised my mate that he should do the same with his laptop so he purchased a 256gb USB flash drive. When we attempt to do the back up of...
  8. Backing up files to a USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing up files to a USB flash drive: Hi I am wondering if there is a specific program that can walk me through backing up info from my computer either to a usb drive or to burn to disc? when i try to backup to a usb thumb drive or whatever you call it. it asks me to save or import to dropbox. i prefer a program...
  9. File Explorer and usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer and usb flash drive: I had a virus that i used Reimage Repair to fix. When i went to file explorer the folder is empty in the usb flash drive so my files arent being saved. What do i do now?...
  10. HDD seen as USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD seen as USB flash drive: I have inserted in my Win10 64bit PC, an HDD drive (physically), beside the old one, where I have OS installed. Everything is ok, except that my OS see this new HDD as USB stick, right down in system tray, as USB flash drive, and I can eject it by there ... which is not ok. I...