Windows 10: USB flash drives not recognized nor will a System restore point restor

Discus and support USB flash drives not recognized nor will a System restore point restor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My OS: Windows 10 Home I believe that it all started with the installment of a possibly dodgy security suite "Akick". I had just done a fresh windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pintree3, Feb 24, 2017.

1. pintree3 Win User

USB flash drives not recognized nor will a System restore point restor

My OS: Windows 10 Home
    I believe that it all started with the installment of a possibly dodgy security suite "Akick". I had just done a fresh windows install a few days before it running only the built in Microsoft Security before it.
    I felt something was not right about it and it stayed on my PC (Acer E1-532P) for 3 days or so. On reboot it always told me that my computer was protected. This message coming quite late after Windows started made me suspicious and on the final time it didn't load at all forcing me to be smart and uninstall it.
    Anyhow. my problem was that I suddenly noticed that no USB flash drive was being read. I can hear the Windows sound of something being installed but no drive letter appeared. I tried different slots both internal and external and nothing. I also tried other USB flash drives and still nothing. A net search suggested this and that (power options changes, uninstalling USB driver in Device Manager, disabling quick start, etc. ) and still nothing. I then did a Windows Restore but it would not do so. I tried earlier restore points and still nothing--Windows restore could not complete. And I got the same error message in trying to put it back to its previous point , to undo restore, and oddly enough the same message of no success popped up.
    Oh yeah another odd thing: Although the task bar Windows Security Defender said all is OK actually clicking on it showed that it wasn't turned on and nor can I turn it on saying "this app is turned off by group policy". I managed to fix that problem and tried everything again- restore, USB repair solution etc.
    Besides these 3 problems everything was great BTW all was running smoothly. Oh and my external mouse and keyboard are wireless so the USB connector making them run works fine. The only problem seems to be the addition of USB flash drives (even external hard drives could be connected via USB and no problem). drives therefore work Windows booted in quickly. It seems then, having exhausted my fixes I tried ReimagePlus. I was surprised to see how many things were found wrong (so many that I hesitated using it--it was after all soon after a fresh reinstall of the OS so how could you claim so many problems? After running the software I have to say that my problem has not been solved.
    (BTW though there is a beep and a USB slot does appear in Device Manager it does have a yellow icon on it BUT no USB is seen in Disk Management)

The ways I tried to solve the USB problems is as follows:
    Solution 1 - Turn off Fast Startup
    Solution 2 - Update your drivers / install the default driver
    Solution 3 - Uninstall all USB drivers including hidden ones
    Solution 4 - Change USB Selective Suspend Settings
    Solution 5 - Reconnect your USB devices
    (Disconnected all drives and reconnected them 1 at a time after reboot.
    Solution 6 – Ran Windows Defender and Malware-bytes malware and found nothing

I did not try (as suggested on a website):
    a) "USBOblivion tool"
    b) to Disable USB3 support from BIOS
    c) Update chipset drivers (had been done right after the fresh OS reinstall)

Thank you

:)

pintree3, Feb 24, 2017

2. USB mass storage driver missing

I'm using Acronis TI 2018 and have been for months.

Here's the complete story - On Jan 4th I did a full system backup to an external USB drive. On the 6th, I plugged in a flash drive, but it wasn't recognized. I tried a reboot, but it failed with "inaccessible boot device". I did a full restore from the external
    drive using Acronis. I could now boot the system. I noticed that the external drive which was powered up at boot time was recognized. I disconnected it. I connected it later, but it wasn't recognized (missing device driver). Since the system was running, I
    didn't mess with anything.

A week later, I tried a reboot again. Again it failed with "inaccessible boot device". I did the restore, booted, and created a system restore point. Another week went by. I rebooted again, and again it failed. I did a system restore back to the restore
    point and the system booted. That's when I noticed that the flash drive would be recognized immediately after the reboot, but not sometime later.

I noticed that there were two updates applied on the 4th after the system backup. One of them was KB4056892. It has a defect listed as causing some older AMD CPUs to not boot. Although I have an Intel CPU, the symptom sounds the same. I was thinking of uninstalling
    that update, but there's a fix available (KB4073290) so I'm going to download and install the fix and see what happens. It might be a few days before I have the time to mess with it.

I have no idea if there's any relationship between this and the USB drive issue. I guess I'll find out after installing the fix.

Steve

StephenBlendermann1, Feb 24, 2017
  3. How do I recover with the my USB system image?

Having created a system image onto my USB Flash Drive, I can't figure out how to get the restore system to recognize it.

How I created my USB Flash drive "backup system image" by formatting the USB drive into NTFS format. Then right click the USB H: drive to Properties to click on Sharing tab. Checked the Share box. Clicked on "Advanced Sharing". Permissions; set to Allow on
    Full Control, Clicked on Apply, then OK, then OK again. This made the USB drive accessible as a network drive by using the share path \\example\h

for the the system image to copy to.

From the Windows 10 Control Panel\ Click Backup and restore (Windows 7)

Noting; Microsoft has Windows 10 using Backup and restore (Windows 7) for system backups.

At the bottom under Restore, click-on Select another backup to restore files
    opens Restore Files (Advanced), Click-on the Browse network location and type in the USB shared path; \\example\h. This was the path for the image USB I made.

I keep getting this error message; The network location cannot be read Details; The network name cannot be found. (0x80070043)

NOTE: I can't explain why the USB system image I created had drive letter \h but when I plug it in it for the restore it reads as USB Drive (EUSB flash drives not recognized nor will a System restore point restor :)

PROBLEM; is the latest image was on the USB Drive. I have others on Hard Drive D: and network TB Drive. The USB I made as an additional backup to test out if a USB Drive system image could be done. If anyone knows more about how to fix this, please post
    back

Jahmen Myst, Feb 24, 2017
Thema:

USB flash drives not recognized nor will a System restore point restor

1. USB flash drives not recognized nor will a System restore point restor - Similar Threads - USB flash drives

2. Restoring stuck System Restore Point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring stuck System Restore Point: I had made a restore point for windows 11 but making a pc customisation but the customisation was not good. So, I tried to restore it from that restore point that i created earlier. But It's almost 2 hours and the process is still not completed. What to do???...
  3. How to restore system if there is no restore point?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore system if there is no restore point?: I had to use ProctorU for my college to take a test, and when I got in my headphones wouldn't let them hear me and they kept acting like there was nothing to fix it and they were being impatient. I did not know what the problem was because I am not tech savvy. Anyways, the...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  5. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  6. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Is there a way to back up System Restore points to a USB Flash Drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is there a way to back up System Restore points to a USB Flash Drive?: [img] This is a print screen I took last month. I had this problem where I manually created my own Windows System Restore point naming it Healthy PC. The problem is after a few more days when I installed a new application named BabasChess. Windows created an Automatic...
  8. System Restore will not create a restore point

System Restore will not create a restore point: This has been a recurring problem on my HP Pavilion with Windows 10 64bit. I cannot create a System Restore point and System Protection will not turn on. It just keep searching for drives. The error code given is 0x81000203. I have also tried installing Macrium Reflect as a...
  9. Restore System using restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore System using restore point: Hello, Had to use a recent restore point. Started the restore, made a list what will be affected, and it started. After waiting about 25 minutes I got an error notice that restore was not succesful because of anti virus (?). The only antivirus on my system is windows...
  10. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...