Windows 10: USB HD drive reallocated sectors

Discus and support USB HD drive reallocated sectors in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is it time for a new drive or is there some utility / formatting to restore health? [img] thanks! 107186 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by roy111, Mar 31, 2018.

1. roy111 Win User

USB HD drive reallocated sectors

Is it time for a new drive or is there some utility / formatting to restore health?

USB HD drive reallocated sectors [​IMG]

thanks!

:)

roy111, Mar 31, 2018
  2. chazbo3 Win User

Can I make a Win10 OS recovery disk to transfer Win10 to a new HD because existing laptop HD is beginning to fail?

Hi, I have a Toshiba Laptop Win7 machine and went ahead with the Win10 upgrade. Now my HD is failing (Not from Win10 install) but according to CHKDSK it has (8 KB in bad sectors) and CrystalDisk tool says (Reallocated sectors = 18 & Current pending
    sector count is 8 and has a caution sign). Not sure if this is a lot of damage and the HD will tank soon but it is a bit glitchy? Soooo............

My main question is: To prepare for a new HD, can I make some sort of recovery image/disk or a USB recovery that will allow me to transfer Win10 onto my new HD before it tanks? I have an external 1TB HD I can transfer to but I want to be
    sure I can do the switch for sure before attempting it.

Thank you in advance!

chazbo3, Mar 31, 2018
  3. Windows 10 won't boot "Repairing disk errors this might take more than an hour to complete"

This isn't correct. Bad and problematic sectors cannot be fixed. They are marked as bad and if the data from them can be read it gets reallocated to another healthy sector and this one is marked as bad and not used anymore. If the data
    cannot be taken from the sector it is again marked as bad and never used again. chkdsk /r simply checks the whole surface of the platter inside the drive if there are any problematic sectors, reallocates data that can be read from some of them and isolates
    the rest of them.

Isolating a sector simply means that the drive isn't using it anymore but it is NOT fixing it.

A simple example: if the bad sector is caused by a physical scratch on the platter that scratch forms an air pocket. Although the drive isn't using that sector it is using the healthy sectors before and after that one and passes over
    this scratch anyway. By passing over it it bounces down and then up due to the formed air pocked by the scratch and there's a chance that it will land somewhere else on the platter, further damaging it and causing more problematic sectors. This is why in case
    a drive starts to get bad sectors it is highly recommended to back up your data and replace it ASAP. chkdsk /r simply isolates problematic sectors to prolong the drive's life a bit and checks the rest of the surface for more problematic sectors.

Captain_WD, Mar 31, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

Once something is written in SMART it stays there, no amount of formatting can change that. It being a removable drive it could be caused by SW or premature removal and things like that. Unless some real bad sectors are found it's not particularly worrisome. Just keep an eye on it.

CountMike, Mar 31, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Reallocated sectors are sectors that have been found to be faulty and have been remapped to use spare sectors from an area the drive has set aside for this purpose. The drive will be fully functional for now, but it is an indication of possible trouble later on, particularly if the current count of 400 increases with time.

According to Backblaze, who know a thing or two about predicting drive failures, the key warning signs to look for are...
    Read this blog from Backblaze for full details...
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-...rive-failures/

6. roy111 Win User
    Since I used it for backup i'll replace it, thanks!

roy111, Mar 31, 2018
  7. The best move !

storageman, Apr 1, 2018
  8. CountMike New Member

Replace if you want to but keep it for less demanding tasks. I think it's still in a good enough shape, I have worse ones that still work fine.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB HD drive reallocated sectors - Similar Threads - USB drive reallocated

2. Reallocated Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reallocated Sectors: Greetings. Since i formated my laptop the disk has been going from 60-100% i tried many steps but i found out the i have bad Reallocated sectors. So i wanna ask if it can be the reason as to why my disk is constantly lagging...
  3. Reallocated Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reallocated Sectors: Greetings. Since i formated my laptop the disk has been going from 60-100% i tried many steps but i found out the i have bad Reallocated sectors. So i wanna ask if it can be the reason as to why my disk is constantly lagging...
  4. Reallocated Sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Reallocated Sectors in HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reallocated Sectors in HDD: My 6 year old 1TB hdd has 24 reallocated sectors, 16 current pending sectors and uncorrectable sectors which have been given in yellow with a caution sign in crystaldisk. The screen shots from crystal disk have been uploaded down.My pc's performance and boot time are also...
  6. Hard drive, bad sectors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive, bad sectors: I have a HDD that has bad sectors. I plan to buy SSD to replace it. But can I still use that HDD to install games? I only plan to put the operating system in the SSD, or do you have any tips that will help to fix those bad sectors aside form chkdsk /f /r /x C: also, here is...
  7. Boot Sector on Wrong Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Sector on Wrong Drive: Recently I bought and SSD to upgrade from my HDD. I had window installed on the HDD and when I went to install windows on the SSD, I didn't unplug the HDD so windows assigned the boot sector for the SSD to the HDD. Now I want to delete the windows installation from my SSD,...
  8. Several Reallocated Logical Sectors - best to clone or image?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Several Reallocated Logical Sectors - best to clone or image?: My Toshiba MQ04ABF100 HDD has been horribly slow for a long time now. I've recently started to try and see why, and the HDD is often running at 100% according to Windows Task Manager. It's frustratingly useless half the time. I've run some tests with CrystalDisk and...
  9. How a harddisk performs with reallocated sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How a harddisk performs with reallocated sectors: I want to ask how a hard disk will perform with reallocated sectors compared with 0 reallocated sectors if anyone knows, my hard disk has 1200 reallocated sectors and they have not been growing so my question in general is if the reallocated sectors may impact the read and...
  10. Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors.: May I get an interpretation, please? I am running HD Tune on my external drive. The health report show that I have 26 damaged sectors. That seems low, yet still unwelcome. It's a remarkable old Seagate Free Agent - a refurbished replacement as part of my original warranty...