Windows 10: USB HDD Not Showing Up?

Discus and support USB HDD Not Showing Up? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, I've got 4 external USB HDD's connected to my PC. 3 of them are working fine, however the 4th isn't showing up. It shows up when I right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NiceAndShy, Mar 5, 2017.

1. USB HDD Not Showing Up?

Hey guys, I've got 4 external USB HDD's connected to my PC. 3 of them are working fine, however the 4th isn't showing up.

It shows up when I right click the USB icon in the bottom right corner of my screen and its name is "My Book" but it doesn't have a drive letter like the other USB HDD's.

Thank you for any help!

:)

NiceAndShy, Mar 5, 2017

2. additional harddisc drive

no its a HDD USB it sounds as though its connecting to the computer but doesn't show up in This PC

Regards

Keith

keithwindsor, Mar 5, 2017
  3. Tried to read data from a SATA HD via USB - my windows disk from my previous laptop

Hi Greg

I never get the option of de-installing the driver....

Right clicking the unit and then selecting the DISKDRIVE shows

"Ext. HDD".

I click on the hardware Tab and it shows two functions

Innostor Ext HDD USB Device, type Diskdrive

USB Storage Unit - Type USB Controller

Clicking on properties on either of the two and selecting "Driver" only allow me

Neither of these allow me to any View Driver Details - all other options are not available.

Both the USB controller and the Diskdrive btw show the "mismatch error".

Br

Lars

Lars Brunsgaard, Mar 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

USB HDD Not Showing Up?

Go-to disk Management and give it a drive letter it should then show up

Samuria, Mar 5, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    To add to what Samuria is saying, go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc, Right click the diskmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Disk Management window, in the lower pane, find your My Book external HDD, Right click it and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths. Choose a drive letter not being used.

spunk, Mar 6, 2017
  6. I had to put this USB hard drive away, but I'm going to try your idea now.

By the way, if your idea doesn't work what else can I try?

Thanks!

NiceAndShy, Oct 30, 2017
  7. I'm still unable to access this USB HDD.

Does anyone have another idea?

Thanks!

EDIT:

The USB HDD is plugged in, but it's not showing up in Disk Management...?

NiceAndShy, Oct 30, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

USB HDD Not Showing Up?

You have to eliminate the usb, usbcable and usb interface and put it in the pc if that doesnt see it in the bios its dead

Samuria, Oct 31, 2017
  9. jumanji Win User
    Have you checked it on another working PC?

jumanji, Oct 31, 2017
  10. Steve C Win User
    Try this

• Open an admin Command Prompt window
    • Enter DISKPART
    • Enter AUTOMOUNT ENABLE
    • Enter EXIT

The reboot, reconnect the drive and see if it is recognised.

Steve C, Oct 31, 2017
  11. Okay thanks, but could you explain what this will do and how it works?

NiceAndShy, Nov 13, 2017
  12. jumanji Win User
    automount Command : Enables or disables the automount feature. When enabled (the default), Windows automatically mounts the file system for a new basic or dynamic volume when it is added to the system, and then assigns a drive letter to the volume.

As it says, by default automount is enabled in Windows.

When none of your USB storage devices ( external HDDs, Flash drives) show up in Windows Disk Management (this can happen sometimes) , then we recommend to check whether automount got disabled - somehow. If disabled you have to enable it.

( If only one of your external storage device does not show up but others show up with drive letters, there is no need to check automount. That means there is a problem with that storage device. Just to confirm I wanted you to check it on another PC.)

Actually Steve C should have recommended this:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right click on Command Prompt and Run as administrator.
    Then
    diskpart [ENTER]
    Against the DISKPART prompt
    automount [ENTER]
    Does it say "automatic mounting of new volumes disabled " ? Then
    automount enable [ENTER]
    "automatic mounting of new volumes enabled"
    Close Command Window.
    If "automount" command says ""automatic mounting of new volumes enabled" then there is no need to give the "automount enable" command.

Since you said that three of your external drives are working fine, the above exercise is redundant , but no harm. Sometimes redundancy does help.

For more insight see this thread where it helped the OP: New Drives Plugged in New Notebook Need to Have Drive Letter Assigned https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware...-assigned.html

jumanji, Nov 13, 2017
  13. Steve C Win User

USB HDD Not Showing Up?

I don't agree. I once had one external drive not appearing and automount enable fixed the problem.

Steve C, Nov 13, 2017
  14. jumanji Win User
    You may disagree, it is your pleasure.

Automount is a generic command. It either enables mounting of all USB storage devices or disables mounting of all USB storage devices

There is no way one can mount enable or mount disable a specific USB storage device.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx

"I once had one external drive not appearing and automount enable fixed the problem." I don't believe it. It is my pleasure *Smile.

jumanji, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB HDD Not Showing Up?

1. USB HDD Not Showing Up? - Similar Threads - USB HDD Showing

2. HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not showing up: Hi, today suddenly my HDD Seagate 500GB that is connected via USB 3.0 to SATA suddenly disappeared and now I am not able to get it back.Both HDD and SATA adapter are in good condition, when I connect HDD it sounds ok, no loud noise or malfunction but still, no signs of it on...
  3. HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD not showing up: Hi, today suddenly my HDD Seagate 500GB that is connected via USB 3.0 to SATA suddenly disappeared and now I am not able to get it back.Both HDD and SATA adapter are in good condition, when I connect HDD it sounds ok, no loud noise or malfunction but still, no signs of it on...
  4. HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD showing up as HDD: My SSD is showing up as HDD in task manager and disk management, i need it to show up as SSD so i can install windows subsystem for android https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd/d314266f-d87b-446a-bc38-31e6655fed25
  7. HDD Caddy not showing up

HDD Caddy not showing up: Hi I'm using HP laptop that i bought back in 2017. It came with 1TB HDD, and now it's starting to slowing down. I recently bought an SSD and a HDD Caddy, I've clone the Local Disk C from the old HDD to the brand new SSD and it's working fine now. The problem came up when...
  8. SSD showing up as HDD

SSD showing up as HDD: Hey there, I recently had a 1TB Seagate HDD installed on to my Asus ROG laptop which already had an inbuilt 1TB SSD. But I am surprised as to why my Task Manager enlists my SSD with the credentials of my HDD and my HDD with that of my SSD. I know it is switched because my...
  9. HDD not showing up

HDD not showing up: Hi! I recently installed a new hard drive in my computer and it only shows up in device manager. I look at disk manager and it does not show up. Please help!...
  10. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...