Windows 10: USB hub problem

Discus and support USB hub problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought a 7 port USB hub and when I plug a thumb drive into 1 of the ports, it seems to recognize it and will display the contents of my stored... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bromberg, Dec 30, 2017.

1. bromberg Win User

USB hub problem

I bought a 7 port USB hub and when I plug a thumb drive into 1 of the ports, it seems to recognize it and will display the contents of my stored directories and files properly. Then, 5 minutes later Windows issues a message that the drive is no longer recognized. I found a spare power supply to plug into the hub but that didn't solve my problem.
    BTW, I'm running Windows 10 Pro Fall Anniversary Edition.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
    Dan

:)

bromberg, Dec 30, 2017

2. USB HUB

My problem is that I recently installed a usb 3.0 hub and all my devices attached only to the hub disconnect and reconnect. I have attached the devices to my pc onboard usb ports and it's fine but when attached to the hub again it disconnects and reconnects.
    I have gone through the power mode option for the usb's through device manager but still the same problem. I have attached this usb hub to a windows 7 pc and it doesn't have this problem. Any ideas ?

Gkaratzias, Dec 30, 2017
  3. hadimassa Win User
    "Device Recovery" error duriing Nokia E72 update

A USB hub is a device to connect several devices using only one PC USB port. These hubs can be a problem.

hadimassa, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

USB hub problem

You might want to make sure USB selective suspend is turned off in your advanced power options(all options, balanced, high performance and so on)at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

USB hub problem [​IMG]

Cliff S, Dec 30, 2017
  5. bromberg Win User
    I can't find your exact window but in my DEVICE MANAGER | USB ROOT HUB PROPERTIES | POWER MANAGEMENT, I unchecked "ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER", which I think is what you are getting at. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem.

Thanks,
    Dan

bromberg, Dec 30, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Dec 30, 2017
  7. pyramid10 Win User
    I will assume the thumbdrive is usb 2.0. One should try and align this fact with the usb hub (and any other device attached to it) and the pc usb port. Yeah, it's Windows 10. But let's not give the OS more credit than it deserves in handling usb devices intelligently. In my experience, usb 2.0 devices are mistreated in a usb 3.0 hub with usb 3.0 devices. And, of course, usb 3.0 devices are throttled down in a usb 2.0 hub.

Did the hub not come with a power supply? Is it compatible in terms of amperage?

pyramid10, Dec 30, 2017
  8. bromberg Win User

USB hub problem

bromberg, Dec 31, 2017
  9. bromberg Win User
    Pyramid10:
    Yes, it's a USB 2.0 hub (and thumb drive) and since I bought the hub on eBay it did NOT come with a power supply. But I have another hub and I used its power supply whose output is 5V [which I believe is standard for hubs].
    Thanks,
    Dan

bromberg, Dec 31, 2017
  10. Kbird Win User
    Option 1 points 8 and 9 clearly show ......USB Settings.... you of course need to click on it once you get there.....

will it help? I don't know.....

maybe a faulty drive ...not the HUB you just bought ? , have you tested on other computers or hubs?

5v is standard USB but the Amps is also important on a multi-port HUB especially if trying to use external HDD etc which need Power and don't have there own , as most USB ports on the Computer may max out at 500ma of draw or 100ma per device etc....

KB

Kbird, Dec 31, 2017
  11. bromberg Win User
    The failure occurs when I plug in a thumb drive, so it's not even an external HDD that causes the problem.
    The power supply label shows an output of 2A (and 5V).
    The same USB port works fine when I stick the same thumb drive in it so apparently the hub is at fault?

I investigated the Win10 settings as I described in my reply to Cliff S, so I don't believe my PC is turning off the power based on the checkbox I unchecked.
    Dan

bromberg, Jan 1, 2018
  12. Kbird Win User
    The Ext. HDD was just an example of something that will pull more power and may need an external power supply , the HUB should not if only using 1 Flash drive , since essentially it is just acting as an USB extension cable....

USB selective Suspend is not the same thing as Power Management and Personally DM > USB Controllers has 12 different "HUBS" , so unless you know exactly which one the new HUB is plugged into ? you may not have it correct....

USB hub problem [​IMG]

Try USB Tree View 3.1.2 which is good for tracking connections for USB (or USBDeView too) , you'll see the flash drive plugged into the hub in the left pane. the right pane will tell you what is supported eg power state and wake from powerstate etc.....

USB Device Tree Viewer

KB.

Kbird, Jan 1, 2018
  13. bromberg Win User

USB hub problem

KBird:
    I installed USB Treeview 3.12 as you suggested but am unclear what to do with the report it produces (right column).
    Thanks,
    Dan

bromberg, Jan 3, 2018
  14. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Jan 3, 2018
  15. spunk Win User
    USB Devices get power from the USB port. But many require a separate power adapter in addition. USB Hubs should always have a power adapter attached, and plugged directly into the wall, not a power strip. And the hub should be plugged into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front which has weaker ports.
    That being said, USB Mass Storage Devices (ie) USB HDD's, Flash Drives, etc, especially those without power adapters, should be plugged directly into the Back USB port of the computer. USB Mice, Keyboards, Printers, Scanners, Cameras can all plug into the Hub and get recognized.

spunk, Jan 5, 2018
Thema:

USB hub problem

1. USB hub problem - Similar Threads - USB hub problem

2. USB HUB Help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB HUB Help: Good Day,I need help regards my Lenovo Ideapad-15iby.I am using a USB Hub to maximize ports I can use. But unfortunately, Every time I plug my Power / Charge my device. It "automatically" "disable" my USB HUB and anything connected to it.I would really appreciate some Answers...
  3. Problems with laptop webcam due to usb hub.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with laptop webcam due to usb hub.: Laptop in question is Asus K513E OLED 11gen i5, win 10.Device Manager showing webcam as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed".I uninstalled the webcam drivers and reinstall them from the official Asus support page for this laptop - didn't work.Then I did the...
  4. Problems with laptop webcam due to usb hub.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with laptop webcam due to usb hub.: Laptop in question is Asus K513E OLED 11gen i5, win 10.Device Manager showing webcam as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed".I uninstalled the webcam drivers and reinstall them from the official Asus support page for this laptop - didn't work.Then I did the...
  5. Problems with laptop webcam due to usb hub.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. USB Hub Problem

USB Hub Problem: Hi,I use an older laptop Asus K53Z series that I use for astrophotography. It has two USB2 ports and one USB3 port. One of the ports is connected to my mount that moves the telescope, on is connected to the imaging camera, and the third is connected to the guiding camera....
  7. USB Hub

USB Hub: hey guys, yesterday I bought an external USB Hub so I can have more than 2 USB ports. when I connect it, my laptop doesn't recognize any USB or my Wireless mouse. also I know it works because when I connect my Cool-pad to it, it starts to work. what is the problem? could...
  8. Usb hub malfuntion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Usb hub malfuntion: my usb ports aren't working at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-hub-malfuntion/aeb61bc6-be6a-4421-b8a9-cd5c32b8efd6
  9. USB hub

USB hub: was using an Amazon basics usb hub on my last computer without any issues but I bought a new laptop a few months ago and within the past week or two my usb hub started to disconnect and reconnect devices connected to it. So I recently bought a hub that has a standalone power...
  10. Powered USB Hub

Powered USB Hub: Could someone wise please recommend a quality 4 port v3.0 powered USB hub with a UK mains plug PSU? I need it for keyboard, mouse, printer and Saitek X52 Pro joystick - the latter will not work unpowered with the rest. I've had a devil of a time trying to find Best Buy...