Windows 10: USB IrDA devices no longer work in W10

Discus and support USB IrDA devices no longer work in W10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Couldn't get my USB IR adapter to work in W10 and found the answer in the link below.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wptski, Sep 29, 2015.

1. wptski Win User

USB IrDA devices no longer work in W10

wptski, Sep 29, 2015
  2. Strebar Win User

USB IrDa device

Apparently, Microsoft pulled IrDA support from Windows 10 with no explanation or reasoning and no official answer or any response whatsoever to the many users of IrDa devices (I use a ScubaPro dive computer $1000 which I can no longer connect after upgrading
    to Windows 10).

This is not indicative of a customer-focused company that they claim to be. Windows 10 has been out for a while now with many people across many forums complaining about this issue and still no response. It's been months. I don't understand the silence.

Here's just a few examples:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scubapro/511628-irda-driver-windows-10-a.html

USB IrDA devices no longer work in W10 - Windows 10 Forums

IrDA support for Windows 10

Windows 10 Pro: USB IrDA adapter driver installation failed

Windows 10 IrDA: USB-IrDA adapter not working ?

Windows 10 and Infrared (IrDA) - Coolgear

This is ridiculous that Microsoft hasn't spoken about this issue. At least confirm the problem and give an explanation. Did you remove it because there's a serious security flaw? Did you remove it because you didn't want to support IrDa anymore? Microsoft
    has a lot of customers that they screwed because they gave no warning about this and have kept completely silent.

Strebar, Sep 29, 2015
  3. Strebar Win User
    IrDA Drivers not working in Windows 10

Can Microsoft please comment on why IrDA support was removed from Windows 10? And if it's coming back and if so, when? Many devices rely on IrDA such as sports watches, heart rate monitors and scuba dive computers. After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to
    Windows 10, my ScubaPro Galileo Luna dive computer can no longer connect to my computer as the driver is not working correctly in Windows 10. The current mitigations that I could find are:

1. Revert back to Windows 8.1 (or earlier).

2. Use a Virtual computer that is using an earlier version of Windows, via VMWare or Hyper-V or similar.

3. Use a different computer that has an earlier version of Windows or Mac OSX.

These are all horrible solutions.

Looking at different discussion sites, it appears that the IrDA stack was removed from Windows 10 with no explanation. This is affecting a lot of customers. And apparently it is now up to the hardware manufacturers who depend on IrDA to come up with a
    driver with the full IrDA stack when before they didn't need to do that. So perhaps some will come out with drivers that will work with Windows 10. But this still doesn't explain why Microsoft pulled support which caused a horrible customer experience for
    many many customers. Please speak up about this.

Here's a few links that I found around this issue, but there's no official word yet from Microsoft. Why the silence?

Windows 10 and Infrared (IrDA) - Coolgear

IrDA support for Windows 10

Windows 10 IrDA: USB-IrDA adapter not working ?

Windows 10 Pro: USB IrDA adapter driver installation failed

| Polar Global

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scubapro/511628-irda-driver-windows-10-a.html

Dive computer and sports watch owners with IrDA warned to not upgrade to Windows 10 - Myce.com

USB IrDA devices no longer work in W10 - Windows 10 Forums

Strebar, Sep 29, 2015
  4. wptski Win User

I had put my email address on a list to get any info about this problem and received this response today.

Hi Everyone, Caleb from Coolgear here with an update regarding Windows 10 drivers for your infrared adapters.

Unfortunately the news isn't good. Our supplier is telling us that they are being stonewalled by Microsoft regarding the changes made in Windows 10 and how to update the driver package. I've also heard from Asix (formerly Moschip), the chip manufacture used in most adapters, that they are also getting similar lack of support from Microsoft regarding this issue.

All we can recommend at this time is that if using your infrared adapter is important to you, do not upgrade to Windows 10, or keep an older PC around to sync your equipment with. For the more technically inclined among you, a virtual machine using VMWare Player or Oracle VirtualBox is also a solution.

I would also recommend that you continue to make some noise on the official MicroSoft forums and elsewhere about the issue. Maybe with some pressure from the public Microsoft will at least acknowledge the problem and work towards resolving it.

wptski, Oct 20, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Yes, VMWare supports using USB devices, so in worst case you install an earlier Windows version in a virtual machine and then transfer control of the IrDA device to the virtual. I use the same method to use my very old parallel port Iomega ZIP drive! I have installed Windows 98 in a virtual machine and when I need to access my ZIP disks, I connect the drive to my parallel port and transfer control to Windows 98. Not very convenient, but a good workaround.

spapakons, Oct 21, 2015
  6. wptski Win User
    I'm on a dual boot with W7 so I can still use that but the question is, why is MS being so uncooperative?

wptski, Oct 21, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    IrDA is an old technology and rarely used today, but surely this is not a reason to remove support for it!

spapakons, Oct 21, 2015
  8. chhackm Win User

Yes, IrDA is an old technology, but less than half the age of the hardware keyboard. Both have a rapidly diminishing user base, but the core user base of the hardware keyboard includes software engineers, and this is therefore safe for the foreseeable future. The core user base of the IrDA computer interface is not small, but is engaged in physical activities, particularly underwater activities and sports training, a sphere of activity which is largely closed to desk-bound Microsoft operating system engineers and salesmen, so folk who need to upload their dive computer or heart rate/bp logger data to a computer database may have to migrate to Apple when they update their computer systems, unless someone creates a third-party workaround, which has unfortunately proved to be a non-trivial undertaking. It may be that the new ultra-low power Bluetooth technologies may become practical to replace IrDA in these devices at some time in the future, but it would take another 5 - 10 years to phase out IrDA in dive computers.

chhackm, Oct 24, 2015
  9. wptski Win User
    I read up on the dive computers. Lots of pissed off people that have $1000+ hardware that doesn't work with W10 but did prior to the final release.

wptski, Oct 25, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Just wondering, can't one just copy the relevant driver files (INF, DLLs) from a Windows 7 or 8.1 installation and try to manually install then through the Device Manager? For each unknown device relative to the IrDA controller, just browse to the folder that contains all the files and hopefully you will finally manage to make it work. I would install Windows 7 or 8.1 in another disk, or virtual machine and then find out (from device properties) which are the relevant files. I would simply copy them in a folder and try them in Windows 10. Nothing to lose.

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  11. wptski Win User
    I think that it's more than just files. Windows says that one has the latest drivers. I'm on a dual boot with W7 so I can use that. It's just strange that it worked supposedly up to the final release at which time, code was removed.

wptski, Oct 25, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    Maybe there are no drivers for it included in Windows 10, but you can connect it and then browse for drivers in Windows\Inf and Windows\System32 folders of your Windows 7 installation and it might install and work. I would try that.

I had done the same trick for my old parallel port Iomega ZIP-100 drive. Officially Iomega has dropped support for it in Windows Vista and later. But I have detected the relevant driver files in a Windows XP installation, copied them in a folder and managed to manually install it in Vista 32-bit and Windows 7 32-bit. Unfortunately Microsoft has changed the drivers of the parallel port in Windows 8 and 10, so it is not detected at all and I cannot install it manually any more. I could try to add it as a legacy device, but not sure if it will work or give a BSOD.

EDIT: Have you read the following line from the link in your original post?

"In the past, many vendors are using the IrDA stack, implemented in Windows. So USB infrared receivers don’t need their own drivers or IrDA stack. It simply works. Now Microsoft has removed the IrDA stack in Windows 10 RTM, so all USB infrared receivers/devices are bricked. Only, if a vender already has implemented its own IrDA stack and provides Windows 10 compatible software, the infrared receiver/devices may work."

So try the manual installation as I describe above and it might work for your device!

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  13. wptski Win User

There is a driver in Windows/System32/Drivers/ dated 10/25/15 or the release date of W10 so any driver I try to point to manually it says that I already have the latest.

wptski, Oct 25, 2015
  14. spapakons Win User
    When I say manually, I mean to not allow Windows select a driver since it will tell you latest driver is already installed. From Device Manager right-click on the IrDA device and select Update drivers. Then select the LAST option in every screen, until you see the Have disk button. Click on Have disk and browse to the folder with the driver. Select the first result and proceed to install it. You may have to start your computer in test mode (ignore driver signing) to successfully install the device the first time.

spapakons, Oct 26, 2015
  15. wptski Win User
    One thing I didn't mention. The W10 driver is installed but the Device Manager states the device not working because it couldn't load the driver. It might be any driver won't load because something is missing within W10.

There are lots of different IRDa devices that don't work under W10 that it probably isn't something simple.

wptski, Oct 26, 2015
Thema:

1. USB IrDA devices no longer work in W10 - Similar Threads - USB IrDA devices

2. USB Drives no longer functional on ACER laptop - but USB devices work?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drives no longer functional on ACER laptop - but USB devices work?: Hi, Hoping someone has run across this particular issue and has a fix because it's not something any of the standard recommended steps I've taken have remedied. I've tried resetting fast start up, I've gone into USB properties and disabled the sleep feature. I've been through...
  3. USB Ports No Longer Working

USB Ports No Longer Working: I have this laptop: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-14-1-1080p-PC-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Windows-10-Black-GWTN141-4BK/364041142?comm-msg-vehicle=EMAIL&comm-msg-id=8b024544-7a63-430a-a90f-2e782d565448The laptop has two USB ports. Whenever I try plugging a...
  4. IrDA optional app.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    IrDA optional app.: How do I add the IrDA app to windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/irda-optional-app/11c3a448-9c23-420d-8c51-cb039e69d6e8
  5. IRDA not working again

IRDA not working again: Hello, Since one of the recent updates, my IRDA adapter is not working again. The same happened a several years ago, then an update made it working for a long time and it's not working again. I tried to fix it via Device Manager, but avail. I was asked for a disk, because...
  6. My Polar IrDA USB adapter stopped working after 1903 update

My Polar IrDA USB adapter stopped working after 1903 update: My Polar IrDA USB adapter stopped working after 1903 update, it was working fine before the update. When I connect it to my PC nothing happens, in the Device Manager i get error code 19. Any solutions?...
  7. IRDA WIN 10 does not work

IRDA WIN 10 does not work: Microsoft or someone else please help me. I can't get my polar adapter to work. I do everything as stated in various topics, but it does not help. In my opinion, the problem is this: when you type netcfg –u ms_irda netcfg –c p –I ms_irda as an administrator, I get the...
  8. IRDA WIN 10 does not work

IRDA WIN 10 does not work: Hello everyone, microsoft or someone else please help me. I can't get my polar adapter to work. I do everything as stated in various topics, but it does not help. In my opinion, the problem is this: when you type netcfg –u ms_irda netcfg –c p –I ms_irda as an...
  9. USB devices stop W10 startup

USB devices stop W10 startup: My complacency was shattered with Microsoft's last major updates all of which I've removed from my machine to restore some semblance of normality. I rue the day that I ever installed Update 1703 & 1709.Big Mistake. Compounded by my stupidity in putting up 1803. But I've...
  10. Irda adapter not working

Irda adapter not working: After the latest Microsoft update, my usb to Irda adapter does not work. This was the problem a few years ago when Microsoft introduced windows 10. A update to Windows 10 solved this issue back then. It seems that the issue is back. I have installed the correct drivers and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. IRDA compatible with windows 10 1709