Windows 10: USB made with MCT does not boot!

Discus and support USB made with MCT does not boot! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Admittedly, since it's been around 2 years since I tried to boot a PC using the USB media made from the MCT, but unless my memory is faulty, I recall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mark Phelps, Oct 19, 2017.

1. USB made with MCT does not boot!

Admittedly, since it's been around 2 years since I tried to boot a PC using the USB media made from the MCT, but unless my memory is faulty, I recall being able to boot from it.

I tried to boot my crashed HP laptop using a new USB and it would not boot.

I tried three other bootable USB sticks and they all worked OK.

So, is the Win10 USB media suddenly not bootable, or has it been this way all along?

My "plan B" is to make a new USB stick using the ISO I downloaded using the MCT and RUFUS.

:)

Mark Phelps, Oct 19, 2017
  2. Ebkac Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade Failure From Windows 7 Pro 64bit 0xC1900101 - 0x20017

Yes it is a UEFI BIOS. When booting up the machine, i hit F11 to get to the Boot menu

Select the option that reads UEFI USB (this is the USB made with Rufus)

I choose custum install but could not delete the partitions down to unallocated space.

(That is whene i used the windows 7 disk to do this)

I install windows 7 from my disk. standard install. boot from disk. etc.

Will try and use rufus to create a bootable usb set to MCT

Ebkac, Oct 19, 2017
  3. Difference between "A clean install" and "A cutom install"

Hi Andre! I hate to be a hard head and I really appreciate you. My question is! Does it make a difference how you access the MCT (The USB flash you create). I'm aware you can access the MCT by plugging in the MCT and then clicking Set up (in-place-repair).
    You can also plug the MCT in and change your boot order to boot from a USB. What I'm asking is! Once you have access to the MCT, that's when you chose what options you want to use. Is that a true statement? I'm also aware that you can use the media creation
    tool to install W10 or you can use it to create a USB flash. This can be used on a PC another PC. The only option I see when going to this link is to Update now or create the MCT. The option to install Windows is not offered any more for me. I can down load
    the file to my desktop and then chose.

Sorry to BAPITA! Thanks you are appreciated my friend.

Download Windows 10

USB made with MCT does not boot! [​IMG]

garybear89, Oct 19, 2017
  4. USB made with MCT does not boot!

Rufus lets you to choose, what settings to use, like MBR (notebook) or UEFI (usually most desktops).

TairikuOkami, Oct 19, 2017
  5. My MCT created thumb drive was bootable.

alphanumeric, Oct 19, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    The issue is most likely with the drive itself not software. Some drives just will not boot no matter why you try - I have no idea why. I guess it is USB driver related.

Don't use Rufus or anything - do this

1) download iso from MS

2) put usb drive in PC and prepare it like this

Run an admin command prompt and type following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (n=number of USB drive, usually last on list)

clean (wipes drive - be certain right drive has been selected)

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=fat32 quick

active

assign

exit

exit

3) Note assigned USB drive letter

4) mount iso as a drive, and copy all files to USB drive

5) boot from USB drive

If it does not boot now it is a problem with the drive.

cereberus, Oct 20, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Respectfully, MBR V. UEFI has nothing to do whatsoever with whether the computer is a notebook or desktop.

The best way to create the USB flash drive from the ISO file is as @cereberus posted. Making the USB flash drive that way makes it bootable in both legacy BIOS (MBR) computers and UEFI (GPT) computers.

NavyLCDR, Oct 20, 2017
  8. USB made with MCT does not boot!

Update: Tried the USB made using RUGUS -- same problem.

Made a DVD using the same ISO -- it boots fine.

@cerebrus: Will try what you suggested and report back the results. Thanks

UPDATE: IT works -- the laptop booted from the USB stick!

Mark Phelps, Oct 20, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Told 'ya so! *chuckle

NavyLCDR, Oct 20, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    I am smugly polishing my halo right now :-D.

Seriously, glad it worked.

I never bother with rufus now.

cereberus, Oct 20, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    Some usb drives have problems booting, my Sandisk Cruzer was one such drive.

swarfega, Oct 20, 2017
  12. I was never able to boot any notebook with UEFI created ISO, even when notebook supported UEFI.

TairikuOkami, Oct 20, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

USB made with MCT does not boot!

See post #4 - this is the PROPER way to create a bootable drive as advised by MS (and originally recommended to me by knowledgeable users here like @Kyhi).

Also, creating a bootable usb drive using MCT works as in essence it will use same method as in #4 i.e. native MS commands

cereberus, Oct 20, 2017
  14. *Ditto Via diskpart is how I do it when using my MSDN ISO's. It's more about when the device was made as far being UEFI or not. My old beater desktop PC's are legacy BIOS, and my newer laptop is UEFI. My diskpart created thumb drive works for both. Same procedure to what cereberus posted.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

USB made with MCT does not boot!

1. USB made with MCT does not boot! - Similar Threads - USB made MCT

2. USB boot option does not show

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB boot option does not show: I have an HP All-in-One 3420 I'm trying to use an USB to install Windows and I went to the boot device and it does not give me the option to boot from a USB how do I fix that, do I have to boot from USB or can I turn on computer then install the USB?...
  3. Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft: Looking for some help. Dell Inspiron 20 - 3048 All In One Windows 10 Initial issue: Computer stuck in "Automatic Repair" loop while attempting to boot. Went into the Boot Menu via F12 Ran Diagnostics: Result: Error 2000-0142 "Hard Drive 0 - DST Short Test** Fail...
  4. MCT boot usb

in Windows 10 Support
    MCT boot usb: Is it possible to move the boot media from one USB drive to another one with out having to create one. Example: I have a 8gb MCT bootable USB with version 1909 on it. Can I move/transfer it to another USB drive? 161010
  5. Mct usb

Mct usb: I have a USB 64 GB (my first one of this size) with the 20H1 ISO using the MCT. Can I still use it as storage and still be able to boot from it. All my other USB drives are 8 gb or less. So no big deal for an "only" single use USB drive. 160310
  6. Microsoft MCT / USB issue

Microsoft MCT / USB issue: Hello everyone just had a question, im going to be upgrading my HHD to a SSD but im going to be reinstalling windows from my USB by downloading the Microsoft Creation Tool. The MCT is telling me I don't have the 8gb space on my USB but its a 128GB USB with nothing on it. What...
  7. Does MCT Ever Need To Be Updated?

Does MCT Ever Need To Be Updated?: I have W10 Pro x64. I have a flash drive I labeled "W10 Pro Install & Repair". I use this when I need to restore a system image. I assume this is the MCT. Does this thing need to be updated/replaced with the current version of the MCT on some time or W10 update basis? My...
  8. Does MCT Ever Need To Be Updated?

Does MCT Ever Need To Be Updated?: I have W10 Pro x64. I have a flash drive I labeled "W10 Pro Install & Repair". I use this when I need to restore a system image. I assume this is the MCT. Does this thing need to be updated/replaced with the current version of the MCT on some time or W10 update basis? My...
  9. MCT error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    MCT error: I downloaded MCT and started making ISO. Due to failure of internet, I had to cancel operation of making ISO and started again. I am getting error as follows. [img] I deleted contents of windows/softwaredistribution/download folder. I also did the following commands in...
  10. Windows 10 MCT to DVD vs USB

Windows 10 MCT to DVD vs USB: When upgrading to Windows 10 with MCT, should I create DVD or USB, any pros or cons of each media type? There has been cases of USB attack vector. Is there a way to write protect the USB after creating the setup media? The DVD is automatically finalized and write protected...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should windows boot manager be first in bios list when using mct

2. pc only recognised the mct usb once now not givin me options

3. mct problem with 1809 usb will not boot

4. how to start the MCT from Usb,
  5. not able to boot to usb on rugged mct