Windows 10: USB mice stop working after several sleeps

Discus and support USB mice stop working after several sleeps in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I usually put my laptop to sleep instead of shutting it down. After a couple of days my mouse will stop working. I tried other mice with cable and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JennysPC, Oct 1, 2017.

1. JennysPC Win User

USB mice stop working after several sleeps

I usually put my laptop to sleep instead of shutting it down. After a couple of days my mouse will stop working. I tried other mice with cable and wireless, but none works. I have to restart to fix it. In DeviceMonitoringStudio I can see the USB mice connected and sending commands, but the mouse cursor doesn't move. The internal touch-pad works fine.

I think this all started when I had a Logitech Bluetooth mouse that I share with another PC. So I would switch the profiles and windows occasionally recognized a new mouse. Now my device manager looks like this:

USB mice stop working after several sleeps [​IMG]

I don't use any Logitech mouse anymore and tried to uninstall all drivers and Logitech software but I can't fix the issue. I also tried devmanview-x64 and DriverStore.Explorer.v0.8.3.

I hope to get some tips and inputs how I can tackle this. Thanks so much in advance!

:)

JennysPC, Oct 1, 2017

2. Mouse Not Recognied Properly

After a windows update my wired usb optical mouse stopped working. I've tried two mice that work in another computer and the usb ports recognize and work with flash memories. So mice are good and ports operable.

The mice are recognized (light up) and the go dark (no light). The drivers for the mice end up in device manager under OTHER DEVICES instead of MICE AND OTHE POINTING DEVICES where it should reside,

LoisWehren, Oct 1, 2017
  3. Chasst Win User
    Problems with Windows 10 and USB3.0 hubs Mice and Keyboards

Have tried several StarTech USB3.0 hubs with Surface Pro 3 and Windows 10. the Ethernet connection with Startech driver for Windows 8 works most of the time but does cut out. Hopefully they will update their drivers. Was able to get USB 3.0 thumb
    drive to work eventually, after several types did not work. Have much worse problems with Microsoft keyboards and Mice combinations. Connection is very flaky doesn't work or stops working. Microsoft hasn't updated hardware drivers for Windows 10, they
    need to. Using the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort keyboard and Mouse but giving up on those. Now trying Microsoft Bluetooth mouse, works most of them time but can go crazy and then have to restart. And will try Wireless 2000 keyboard but it still requires USB
    dongle so not optimistic. Does anyone had a good experience with USB 3.0 hubs and mice/keyboards?

Chasst, Oct 1, 2017
  4. USB mice stop working after several sleeps

Hi JennysPC. Welcome to the TenForums @JennysPC

Are you currently using Bluetooth for any reason. If not have you considered shutting it off?

I was reading in Google searches and some suggested devices can only be removed when Bluetooth is off. Of course others said it didn't work. If you are not using shutting it off seems the simplest route.

On your mouse not working, any chance the mouse stops working once your computer hibernates? If so you can disable hibernation as a test, commnad prompt(admin) or Powershell(admin)

powercfg -h off

To reverse change off to on. If hibernation is disabled Windows Fast Startup is disabled.

If you are in the mouse heading within device manager, and please show hidden devices, I would remove all mice and let windows re-detect your lone mouse. (Alt +F4 gives you menu, arrow keys change selection, restart)

Once you have your mouse re-installed if you enter properties for your mouse there is likely a Power Management Tab. Is your set to allow computer to turn off to save power? If so uncheck, please and test.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 4, 2017
  5. JennysPC Win User
    Hi Ken,

Thank you for your answer! I disabled Bluetooth and removed the hidden mice. I don't user hibernation, only sleep.
    I'll let you know how it goes *Smile

JennysPC, Oct 4, 2017
  6. When you say you don't use hibernation did you disable it using command or did you set it as never in power plans. I would use command, easy to reverse.

Caledon Ken, Oct 4, 2017
  7. Gordon7 Win User

+ Turn Hibernation OFF like Caledon Ken said.

Gordon7, Oct 4, 2017
  8. JennysPC Win User

I now also did the powercfg -h off command and followed Gordon's steps for the mouse and the USB hubs.

Thanks guys!

JennysPC, Oct 5, 2017
  9. JennysPC Win User
    It usually took a few days to stop working. I should know by the end of next week.

JennysPC, Oct 6, 2017
  10. JennysPC Win User
    Still working, but I had to restart my pc a few days ago.

JennysPC, Oct 14, 2017
  11. Excellent. Hope it stays that way.

Caledon Ken, Oct 15, 2017
  12. JennysPC Win User
    Just started my pc and the mouse doesn't work anymore...

JennysPC, Oct 15, 2017
  13. JennysPC Win User

This morning the mouse didn't work and I had to restart my pc. It was recognized and connect and USB sniffer shows data, but windows doesn't move the mouse pointer. The internal touchpad works.

JennysPC, Oct 15, 2017
  14. If this is a Wireless mouse have you tried shutting off Mouse, counting to five and turning back on.

Clearly not a fix but a work around.

Can I ask what kind of computer do you have. Does it have any additional software that could be managing power savings?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 16, 2017
  15. JennysPC Win User
    It is not the mouse but Windows. I have a wired mouse and that one also stops working.
    It's ThinkPad X1 Carbon. I don't think it's power management issue as I can see in the USB sniffer that the data comes in but windows doesn't process it. It all started with the Logitech mouse that spammed my device manager.

JennysPC, Oct 16, 2017
Thema:

1. USB mice stop working after several sleeps - Similar Threads - USB mice stop

2. USB peripherals stop working after PC wakes from Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB peripherals stop working after PC wakes from Sleep: Hey everyone, trying to figure out a solution to this very annoying problem.After I wake my PC from sleep I have to press power button - moving the mouse or clicking buttons doesn't work, all my USB devices have stopped working mouse, tablets, keyboard, external hard drives...
  3. USB peripherals stop working after PC wakes from Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB peripherals stop working after PC wakes from Sleep: Hey everyone, trying to figure out a solution to this very annoying problem.After I wake my PC from sleep I have to press power button - moving the mouse or clicking buttons doesn't work, all my USB devices have stopped working mouse, tablets, keyboard, external hard drives...
  4. External USb Keyboard stop to work after sleep or replug in the USB port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USb Keyboard stop to work after sleep or replug in the USB port: Hello, I have on my Windows 10 Pro a wired USB keyboard Microsoft 600.I start the PC Asus VivoBook and all works fine.When I sleep the computer or unplug the keyboard, when I resume the computer or I try to insert the keyboard again, It's doesn't work anymore.I searched on...
  5. External USb Keyboard stop to work after sleep or replug in the USB port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USb Keyboard stop to work after sleep or replug in the USB port: Hello, I have on my Windows 10 Pro a wired USB keyboard Microsoft 600.I start the PC Asus VivoBook and all works fine.When I sleep the computer or unplug the keyboard, when I resume the computer or I try to insert the keyboard again, It's doesn't work anymore.I searched on...
  6. External USb Keyboard stop to work after sleep or replug in the USB port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Mice constantly stop working

Mice constantly stop working: Hi, since like half a year now I'm experiencing the following problem on my T580 laptop Windows 10 - always latest version - currently 19042.685: I can use bluetooth and USB mice for hours without problems until they suddenly in the middle of a task stop working. I usually...
  8. Keyboard and mice stopped working after the recent update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard and mice stopped working after the recent update: Title. My keyboard and mice stopped working once I restarted the pc. The lights turns on the keyboard and mouse but won’t register anything, please help. submitted by /u/azndkflush [link] [comments]...
  9. USB-mice not working

USB-mice not working: So I've had this problem earlier already but restarting the device used to help. Now it doesn't. Any mouse that I plug in gets recognized, the bottom right corner message, which says something like "USB-Mouse is being set up", then, a couple of seconds later, it tells me that...
  10. Several features stopped working after BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Several features stopped working after BSOD: I'm on a G551JW running Windows 10 I have been at this for two days now, here's what happened, what I found and what I've tried I had just updated Photoshop and Illustrater when my computer bluescreened. Once it booted back up noticing later that this now takes longer...