Windows 10: USB or DVD Boot Drive Determination/Selection

Discus and support USB or DVD Boot Drive Determination/Selection in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have downloaded and successfully installed Windows 10 version 1703 including the recent update. Now, I need to download and create Installation Media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Abe Froman, Apr 16, 2017.

1. USB or DVD Boot Drive Determination/Selection

I have downloaded and successfully installed Windows 10 version 1703 including the recent update. Now, I need to download and create Installation Media and note I need to determine whether this PC is setup to boot from USB drive or DVD drive. Either advancing age or brain cramp-but my recollection fails. How do I determine whether DVD or USB is set as boot drive? Does one have advantage over the other? I there any reason for both to be designated as boot drive?

:)

Abe Froman, Apr 16, 2017

2. Windows 8.1 Setup Tool Doesnt Work

Hello,

Let's determine the cause of the issue. To get started, we'd like to clarify where did you store the Media Creation Tool. Is it on the USB or on the C/DVD?

You can also make sure if the boot priority is properly set. To check, please follow these steps:

• Start the computer and press ESC, F1, F2, F8 or F10 during the initial startup screen. (Depending on the BIOS manufacturer)
    • Choose to enter BIOS setup.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab and system devices appear in order of priority.
    • To give a CD or DVD drive boot sequence priority over the hard drive, move it to the first position in the list. To give a USB device boot sequence priority
      over the hard drive, do the following:

Move the hard drive device to the top of the boot sequence list.

Expand the hard drive device to display all hard drives.

Move the USB device to the top of the list of hard drives.
    • Save and exit the BIOS setup utility.
    • The computer will restart with the changed settings.

We're looking forward to your response.

Antoneth Ber, Apr 16, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Windows 10 recovery failed

You need to select an option to boot from the media, whether it is DVD or USB. Some times you need to go to the bios to change the boot order and others there is a key you can press to select the boot device.

It sounds like your system is set to boot from the first hard drive so it always tries the hard drive which at the moment will not boot.

Check you PC documents to see how to change the boot order. I suspect if it is Vista vintage that it will not boot from USB and needs a DVD.

neilpzz, Apr 16, 2017
  4. Clintlgm Win User

USB or DVD Boot Drive Determination/Selection

Well that would be set in you BIOS, if you do a lot of booting with either USB or DVD it is helpful to have either or both selected as firs choice boots. Otherwise there is not point in having either selected as first or anywhere in the booting sequence. There a ways to get a USB or DVD to boot first using a key or key sequence on boot up. On my computers some use the Esc Key. So if I need to boot say my Macrium Reflect Bootable recovery media on USB Stick. On boot up I'll spam the Esc key and up pops a boot menu where I'll select UEFI USB or UEFI DVD or USB or DVD to boot from this boot. On others it might be F2 or Del or F8, you just need to learn which key it is for your computer.
    So the answer for most people now days with relatively modern equipment no you don't need or want USB or DVD as first boot options

Clintlgm, Apr 16, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Abe Froman

You only need to boot from your USB or DVD intstall media if you want to do a clean install. How you do this varies from one manufacturer to the next, and on what type of BIOS you have. For some you need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order, others have a boot selection menu that you get to at boot time by pressing F12 (or similar). Check your manual for details.

For Dell I believe it's F12. You will need to boot from cold to get this option, so turn off fast start, or Restart the PC rather than use 'Shut down'.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You also get a full shutdown, bypassing Windows fast startup, by holding down the Shift key when you click on the Shutdown option of the power button menu.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB or DVD Boot Drive Determination/Selection

1. USB or DVD Boot Drive Determination/Selection - Similar Threads - USB DVD Boot

2. Is there a way to determine if your Flash Drive is USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to determine if your Flash Drive is USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?: I have a bunch of USB 2.0 and 3.0 Flash Drives - which don't seem to match the color codes for USB Drives.Some have red connectors, but I am pretty sure they are not USB 3.2 drives. Yes, they are pretty old and the ones with the red connectors seem to be mainly SanDisk...
  3. Is there a way to determine if your Flash Drive is USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to determine if your Flash Drive is USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?: I have a bunch of USB 2.0 and 3.0 Flash Drives - which don't seem to match the color codes for USB Drives.Some have red connectors, but I am pretty sure they are not USB 3.2 drives. Yes, they are pretty old and the ones with the red connectors seem to be mainly SanDisk...
  4. USB not showing in boot selection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB not showing in boot selection: I just made a macOS Catalina boot drive on a SD card using a SD to usb and a VMWare macOS High Sierra. When I open my boot selection on my pc (windows 10) it doesnt show up. Any help? submitted by /u/Joester202 [link] [comments]...
  5. USB ports, and dvd drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB ports, and dvd drive: I have a hp 15 laptop. as soon as the warranty expired the dvd player/burner quite working. it says insert disk and when I put an disk it, it does not spin to read it , it just says no disk. The next problem it has is I have a 8 in one card reader that I`ve used many times...
  6. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  7. Can't boot from usb dvd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...
  8. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...
  9. Determine the former drive letter assignments on an old boot drive

Determine the former drive letter assignments on an old boot drive: Is it possible to discover the previous drive letter assignments on an old boot drive? I have a Windows 7 boot drive that previously was part of a system with 8 hard drives. I cloned the boot drive from this system and moved to a newer system, on which I've since done an...
  10. Determine whether a usb drive is bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    Determine whether a usb drive is bootable: Short of rebooting, is there some way to tell whether a usb drive is bootable? 105327