Windows 10: usb port has power but cannot detect external devices

Discus and support usb port has power but cannot detect external devices in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; One of my USB port has power supply. But doesn't read any external devices connected to it.I tried all the general solution on device manager.please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ASUS_EH71, Aug 12, 2018.

1. ASUS_EH71 Win User

usb port has power but cannot detect external devices

One of my USB port has power supply. But doesn't read any external devices connected to it.I tried all the general solution on device manager.please help me with it.

:)

ASUS_EH71, Aug 12, 2018
  2. SVLingam Win User

My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the steps provided, however in vain. The external hard drive is not identified at all in any of the the USB ports when connected. The USB ports identify other external Flash drives and devices. However this drive is detected in another laptop
    using Windows 7 OS. Please advise further.

Regards

SVLingam, Aug 12, 2018
  3. usb external harddrive is not detected

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with detecting external hard drive via USB 3.0 port, this issue might have occurred due to corrupted or out dated port drivers.

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: Run Hardware troubleshooter as it will help in resolving the issues with hardware and resolve any simple issues found.

• Write Troubleshooting
      in the search box and hit Enter.

• Click on Troubleshooting
      tab.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

• Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.

• Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the USB driver for the computer and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows and X together and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the Universal Serial Bus Controller and expand the driver icon.

• Right Click on all the USB driver icon and select
      Uninstall
    Restart the computer. After restarting the computer, USB driver will automatically be installed.

As an additional resource, please refer to the below links and check if it helps.

Install USB 3.0 and other USB devices

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly get back with the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 12, 2018
  4. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

usb port has power but cannot detect external devices [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

1. usb port has power but cannot detect external devices - Similar Threads - usb port has

2. USB port not detecting external devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port not detecting external devices.: I am having a PC running Windows 11.I am trying to connect a Kobo Clara HD e-Reader to my laptop. I can see my reader is charging when connected to my PC. But I am unable to view the explorer like before to transfer files into it.This used to be working fine several months...
  3. USB port not detecting external devices.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port not detecting external devices.: I am having a PC running Windows 11.I am trying to connect a Kobo Clara HD e-Reader to my laptop. I can see my reader is charging when connected to my PC. But I am unable to view the explorer like before to transfer files into it.This used to be working fine several months...
  4. Power surge on the USB port for device that recently worked?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power surge on the USB port for device that recently worked?: I have connected my Blue Yeti to my Lenovo Thinkpad T490s with Windows 10 installed. I have done this many times in the last couple of weeks with no problems. Today, I get a notification saying "Power surge on the USB port." I disconnected the microphone and restarted my...
  5. USB 3.0 ports only provide power, devices not detected.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 ports only provide power, devices not detected.: USB2.0 works fine, but after a windows update my USB 3.0 ports stopped detecting connected devices. This is a 4 year old cyberpower machine, so it made the jump from Windows 7 -> 10, but despite downloading the USB 3.0 drivers from the motherboard manufacturer, it's not...
  6. Power surge on the USB port - Cannot solve this problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power surge on the USB port - Cannot solve this problem.: I use my computer for work, and sometimes to play some games aswell as I tend to get bored throughout the day. All of a sudden this morning, I keep on getting “Power surge in USB port” in my messages, every 3 seconds. Not only is it annoying, but I can’t use my mouse on my...
  7. External SSD not detected in some USB ports

in Windows 10 Support
    External SSD not detected in some USB ports: Hi, I have a new external SSD disk (Samsung T5) formatted in NTFS. The problem is that the disk is not detected when I plug it in some of my USB ports. When I plug it, the LED of the disk is on but Windows does not detect the disk. This happens on different PCs (laptops,...
  8. Windows USB port not detecting new inserted devices.

Windows USB port not detecting new inserted devices.: This issue is happening on windows (7 & 10) on a HP computer. The USB devices will not be recognized even after updating the USB drivers. The USB Devices will however become recognized after disabling, then enabling said drivers. The USB Device will not be recognized as being...
  9. power to usb ports

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power to usb ports: Hello — I am having a issue with the usb drives connected to my laptop. It seems that in the quest to save power, the computer limits power to the usb ports. Im my case, both usb drives are self powered – ie they use AC power. When I turn on my laptop at the start of the...
  10. Error "Power Surge on USB Port" unknown device

Error "Power Surge on USB Port" unknown device: Hello! I have been getting this problem since the last update. All I have connected to the usb ports are keyboard, printer and WD mybook. The printer an Epson Stylus Photo PX700w, the WD Mybook 500gb, both have their own power supplies. I have recently upgraded my...