Windows 10: USB Port Issue - Power Surge on Hub Port

Discus and support USB Port Issue - Power Surge on Hub Port in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a dell xps 15 9550. I plug a 4 port usb hub into the usb port as i use wireless mouse, and use keyboard and thus need a lot of usb hubs. I never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by paulyjustin, Mar 17, 2018.

1. USB Port Issue - Power Surge on Hub Port

I have a dell xps 15 9550. I plug a 4 port usb hub into the usb port as i use wireless mouse, and use keyboard and thus need a lot of usb hubs. I never had an issue at all. Just recently i had to charge a poweradd... this is a piece that charges your iphone. Thus in order to charge the poweradd, you need to connect it to an outlet. I had thought you could charge it to a usb port on your laptop.. .first off can you do this or not? Well the thing was i wasn't even sure which cable to plug into it as when i used a cable to plug into it and then tried to plug into outlet, it didn't work. It felt like that was not the cable to connect to the poweradd as it didn't fit. But i tried anyway. I then decided to plug it into one of those port hubs , i only had one available. Well not only did it not work, i got a message power surge on hub port message and my 4 port hub immediately stopped working.

I unplugged the 4 port hub and then plugged it back in and it didn't work. After a while, i got message that the usb port didn't work and to click okay. Says device is not working properly. But after a while it does work. My issue now is everytime i turn on my laptop, i cannot use my wireless mouse or anything else connected to the 4 port hub because it doesn't work at first. However after you wait for a few minutes, it would have that same message of the device is not working properly. You wait a bit, then it doesn't work. Then finally it shows the same or similar message and now it works.

The thing is did i damage my usb port on my dell xps 15 9550 laptop? Or did i only damage the 4 port hub? Because if its the 4 port hub, i would just buy a new one. However, i think its the actual port? Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Did i damage my computer? How do i fix this issue?

Also there are 2 usb ports on the laptop. I never used the one on the left side of it though. So if the right one got damaged, does that mean i could only use the one on the left? The left one is not convenient since its right next to the charger plug in. Also if my 4 port hub is damaged etc, do i risk damaging the other port on the left?

Also what happens if both usb ports no longer work on the laptop? Then how would you be able to use a laptop? Could a repair shop fix a usb port?

:)

paulyjustin, Mar 17, 2018

2. USB 3.0 power surge

Hello the same issue here when connected USB hub from the monitor it repots power surge on USB port. Other devices do not report it, tried to reinstall drivers for USB port in device manager to no avail. Devices connected to the hub on the monitor work
    correct, it just reports the issue.

softwaresite, Mar 17, 2018
  3. axheja Win User
    E7-00 USB / Power connection issues

I have the same problem. When i connect my E7, my usb port dont know it. The message is Power Surge on hub port. It happens in many pc.

axheja, Mar 17, 2018
  4. USB Port Issue - Power Surge on Hub Port

Hey all. Well the few times i turned off my computer and powered it on again, there doesn't seem to be an issue. So that should be fine then? Is there anything else i should check on?

paulyjustin, Mar 18, 2018
  5. Hey all. So whenever my laptop turns on, i would sometimes get the message device is not working properly on a certain usb port. Many times i would get that message either early on when i start laptop or later on just suddenly later on anytime Its the 3rd hub on the 4 port usb hub and it was the one that i tried to plug in the iphone recharger in etc which you not suppose to because it takes a lot of power. The other ports seem to work fine. But when i press the button to turn the 3rd usb port off and then power it back on, usually it works. I know this because i always have a usb flash drive stuck to the 3rd port etc.

I want to know, is there any chance the 3rd usb port could cause any damage to my laptop? For example i noticed that my dell xps 15 9550 laptop seems to sometimes not load when i start it up where i have to power it on again. Or it does load up but it takes a very long time to load. Back then it didn't have this issue. But when i plugged the iphone charger into it, i already seem to have that problem already.

But is there a chance that this 4 port usb where the 3rd port is somewhat not functioning correctly, is there any chance it could damage the laptop or not? The thing is im thinking only stick a the usb stick into that 3rd port and do not put anything else in that port? The files in that usb flash drive is there whenever i check it. But im wondering if i should buy a new 4 port usb because of this? Or is this not necessary at all? Again, my main concern is could this usb hub potentionally damage my laptop since its always connected to it since i need the ports for my mouse, keyboard, usb flash drive etc.

paulyjustin, Apr 2, 2018
  6. Clintlgm Win User
    Well, I'm trying to figure out what you plugged into your hub. Powered Hubs come with an ac adapter and a port usually round specifically for the adapter. all and all if you only plugged in a 5V source it shouldn't hurt anything something obviously did happen.

I would eliminate that hub and be testing my 2 onboard ports that you have on the computer if they work without issue then just dump the Hub and purchase a powered hub.
    Software wise you can go to your Device manager and delete/ uninstall everything in Universal Serial Bus Controllers reboot and they will reinstall. If your onboard USB ports are still not working properly you most likely have a hardware issue.

Clintlgm, Apr 2, 2018
  7. Hi there. I plugged in a poweradd power charger into the port. Its what you use to plug in your iphone for battery if you don't have an outlet. Thus imagine you are on the go and your iphone is out of battery well as long as you have that and its charged, you could charge your iphone with it. Thus you are suppose to plug it into a wall outlet to recharge the poweradd power charger.

But not only did i plug it into the 3rd usb hub in the port, i had used the wrong cable to connect it to the hub. I had tried to connect it to the wall outlet and it didn't work, so i tried to plug it into the 4 port usb hub and thats when i got that message of power surge and i then just unplugged it from the hub.

Right now for example, i have a usb stick plugged into the 3rd port in the 4 port hub. It doesn't show anything when i click on my computer. But if i power off the 3rd port by pressing the button... then pressing it again to power it on, then it would recognize the usb stick which shows as the F drive. But after a while it would just unrecognize it. The thing is it seems to be only this 3rd port. The other ports seem fine though. Because after a while, it would say the usb port is not functioning and windows does not detect it. But its only that 3rd port.

But i want to know is would using it with my laptop could potentially damage my laptop is what my concern is. Because it seems to work fine now. But the thing was when this first happened, the other ports where i put my wireless mouse usb to it, it didn't seem to work until a bit later etc. Such as it did not function until i restart my computer or waited a long time for it to recognize it. But right now its only that 3rd port but its not always. Thus it might show the F drive with my usb stick if i check my computer... but after say many hours, you hear a sound and a message that the usb malfunction and doesn't work etc.

So based on that, would you say, safer to just get a new 4 port usb hub and get rid of this? Again, i do not want to get my laptop damaged because of this. But could it happen is my question. Its pretty close to 100 percent this was caused by me plugging the poweradd charger into it. But i think it might be more because i used the wrong cable. Because it did not have this issue before. The thing is again it shows the usb stick in the 3rd port when i go to my computer and check it and can read the files. But for some reason, i would be concerned about plugging any other usb devices into that 3rd port because could that 3rd port cause damage to say an iphone or another usb stick? Thus thats why im only using that specific usb stick in that 3rd port and nothing else. So i have 3 other ports that are available. One would be for me keyboard, then its like ethernet cable, other is like my webcam or iphone etc. I have a usb port on the left side of my computer where i use it for my wireless mouse. But i wouldn't be able to plug say keyboard, ethernet cable, webcam and iphone at once because i would be worried about plugging anything else into that 3rd port.

Thanks.

paulyjustin, Apr 2, 2018
  8. Clintlgm Win User

USB Port Issue - Power Surge on Hub Port

From what you say, you plugged in a storage battery used for charging cell phone Apple to be precise. I don't know what Apple standards are I know they don't use standard plugs or what the voltages are. I'll stick to my first reply, Verify that your onboard USB ports are fully functional as if they are not, you're going to have a more serious problem than replacing a 4 port hub. The cost of powered 4 port hubs is little compared to fixing your computer if you damaged it.
    Its simple remove the hub and verify your ports if they are still good then get another hub this time a powered hub.

Clintlgm, Apr 2, 2018
  9. HI there. How do i verify my onboard usb ports are functional? Laptop is dell xps 15 9550 and has 2 usb ports. One on the left side which i plug in my wireless mouse. The other is i connect the 4 port hub etc. Whenever the 3rd port not recognize my usb... the other ports still work though. So wouldn't that mean its that 3rd port in the hub?

I just ordered a new 4 port hub now to replace this. So would you say just start using the new one now and just not use this one anymore then? Im confused how you want to to verify my ports are still good. Because right now it recognizes all the ports when i powered off the 3rd port and powered it on again. But that i mean clicking on the blue light switch on the 3rd port. Each port has a separate button to click to turn on or off etc.

Thanks.

paulyjustin, Apr 2, 2018
  10. Hi there like to update this and want advice/feedback. I bought a brand new 4 port usb hub. I connected it to the usb port where my previous 4 port usb hub is. I only had connected my usb flash drive into the 3rd slot. When i plugged this 4 port usb hub in, it did recognize it. However, after just a bit, i hear that message where its the same one where it would mean my usb flash drive is not recognize when i click on my computer and it should show the f drive. So then i thought... okay it might be my laptop usb port that is the issue. Then i connected a keyboard to one of the 4 ports. It immediately recognized it. Thus at the moment, i did not unplug the 4 port usb hub from the usb hub on my laptop. The wired keyboard connected to it works, but did usb flash drive does not recognize. However if i were to power off that specific 3rd usb hub and power it on again or if i just unplug the entire 4 port usb hub from the usb hub on my laptop and plug it back in, it would either work or you might have to do it a few times before it recognizes the usb flash drive.

So based on this, does this mean this is 100% the usb flash drive and not my laptop usb? So what would you suggest i do now? Make sure i have everything from that flash drive and format it? The thing is it does read the usb flash drive if i were to power off and power that button. These are individual buttons that light up for each usb port.

paulyjustin, Apr 4, 2018
  11. Clintlgm Win User
    I have no Idea, what i suggested you check is the USB ports on your computer ensure you didn't damage them. The Hub you smoked is smoked get rid of it.
    You new Hub is it self-powered? if not you probably don't have enough power going to the hub to support many devices. The flash drive plug it into a port on your computer if it works then its ok and the issue is the hub. If not you can try to run chk disk on it maybe you can fix it.

Clintlgm, Apr 4, 2018
  12. I have 2 usb ports on my dell xps 15 9550 laptop. One on the left and one on the right. The left one i plug the usb for my wireless mouse. The usb port on the right, i plugged the 4 port usb into it. Thus in that 4 port usb, i would plug in say my keyboard, usb flash drive and anything else into it.

This is the one i just bought. The old one i have is basically like the same thing in looks.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Por...rds=4+port+hub

So yes its self powered? Basically you connect it to the usb port on laptop and then click on individual buttons to enable it. When you do that, theres a blue light. You turn it off by pressing it etc. I mean aren't all port hubs mostly like this? I don't know why you would assume its not self powered?

The thing is when i plug the flash drive into the new 4 port hub i bought and plugged it into my laptop usb port, it recognize it like it should. But after say x amount of time, you hear that sound where it mean the usb flash drive is not working. Thus i click my computer and the F drive for this usb flash drive doesn't show up. This is same thing that happened with the old 4 port usb hub. The thing is the other usb ports when plugged in such as wired keyboard... they work and have no issues even when the usb flash drive doesn't work. Thus after a while, it would say windows malfunction with usb port message. But its only the usb flash drive... not the keyboard.

So when i click on that button to power off that 3rd usb port on the 4 port hub and then click it right back to power it on, it recognizes it as when i go to my computer, it shows the flash drive.

So based on that, isn't this 100% my usb flash drive and not my laptop usb port nor those 4 port usb hubs?

paulyjustin, Apr 4, 2018
  13. athman8 Win User

Original Title:USB DEVICS EXCEEDED THE POWER LIMITS OF ITS HUB....POWER SURGETHE USB DEVICS HAS EXCEEDED THE POWER LIMITS OF ITS HUB....POWER SURGE....this is what the error message that was displayed everytime i put my pendrive...so i did something ,the error message stopped but cant use any pendrive...when i put a pendrive,getting notifications at some ports...but explorer not opening the device..*Sad*Sad..Please help

athman8, Apr 5, 2018
  14. Clintlgm Win User
    This is a powered hub it has it own 2.5 Amp power supply https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Indiv...ed+4+port++usb I have no idea why anyone would want switches on a hub but here they are and has the power supply. your computer port only put out 500 ma when you split that 4 ways you only have 125ma with the self powered hub each port has the maximum power allowed I'm thinking 500ma for USB 2 and 1amp for USB 3.0

Clintlgm, Apr 5, 2018
  15. Clintlgm Win User
    I'm sorry I don't believe I can explain your problem to you so that you can fix it. Perhaps someone else will step in with more experience.

Clintlgm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Port Issue - Power Surge on Hub Port - Similar Threads - USB Port Issue

2. Power surge on the USB port. The USB hub failed to reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power surge on the USB port. The USB hub failed to reset.: Device status.Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43 The USB hub failed to reset.This problem occurred after I updated Windows 22h2...
  3. Power surge on the USB port. The USB hub failed to reset.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power surge on the USB port. The USB hub failed to reset.: Device status.Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43 The USB hub failed to reset.This problem occurred after I updated Windows 22h2...
  4. Power surge on the USB port. The USB hub failed to reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Power surge on the USB port

Power surge on the USB port: Hello I'm getting this ErrorPower surge on the USB port – Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply.A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device.I tried:-troubleshoot-to delete Universal...
  6. power surge on the usb port

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    power surge on the usb port: for the past few days ive noticed that my legion 5 is always dead when i want to turn it on. i noticed when i plugged in power and turn on my laptop, i always received a notification saying power surge on the usb port. i only have my logitech g304 plugged in so i unplug and...
  7. Power surge on USB port

Power surge on USB port: power surge on usb port unknown usb device needs more power, i tried every solution, tried to reinstall the drivers, 5 mins ago replaced the keyboard and mouse and i'm still getting it, not sure why, maybe i need to update bios or something, i tried literally everything, it...
  8. Power surge on USB port

Power surge on USB port: Power surge on USB port keeps flashing, Unknown usb device using more power than port can supply. Tried reboot, nothing has been plugged in but AC cord. Once unplugged this happens....
  9. Power Surge on the USB port.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power Surge on the USB port.: Help, when I plug in a USB on my laptop, the power surge thong pops up every time. I tried all of the videos suggestions and I’m out of ideas. Could someone help me. submitted by /u/kylerc734 [link] [comments]...
  10. Power surge on the USB port

Power surge on the USB port: Hi All, I just upgraded my computer case to a full tower. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P_BK. Since I did that when I cold boot my computer I get the error pop on the screen: " Power surge on the USB port Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can...