Windows 10: USB ports not recognizing drives, thumbrives or GPSs (Garmin)

Discus and support USB ports not recognizing drives, thumbrives or GPSs (Garmin) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Win 10 is a new adventure for me. Relatively new Dell Inspiron 5555 that I have been running without issue since March. Plug and play two WD portable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pricejh61, Aug 16, 2016.

1. pricejh61 Win User

USB ports not recognizing drives, thumbrives or GPSs (Garmin)

Win 10 is a new adventure for me. Relatively new Dell Inspiron 5555 that I have been running without issue since March. Plug and play two WD portable drives, several memory sticks/SD Cards and two different Garmin GPSs without issue., up until this afternoon.

This morning I installed a piece of software from Abbott Labs to track my diabetes numbers. It requires a simple USB cable with a mini-RCA plug that I don't have and am waiting on.

About an hour ago I started to do an update on one of my GPS units. I plugged in the GPS and fired up Garmin Express. Software open up and cannot find one of the GPSs. Tried plugging in the other unit and eventually it was recognized. Took almost an hour of plugging and unplugging. Troubleshot the system and plugged in two WD portable drives and a SD Card to check for issues with the ports. At first they were not recognized. Now, they have mysteriously been recognized by the computer and are operating.

However, the GPS that I want to do the updates on still isn't being recognized by the system. *Sad

As Windows has been updated over the years I am becoming more and more mysterious. I am coming to the conclusion that MS is either performing sorcery or it is just plain FM (Flippin' Magic). Any pointers would be appreciated.

:)

pricejh61, Aug 16, 2016

2. Using Windows 10 Germin Express no longer recognizes my GPS 50 Nuvi LM

Hi, I'm using Windows 10 to connect to Garmin Express to update the maps of my Garmin gps 50 Nuvi LM, and for a while this worked OK.

As of recent this device is no longer recognized when plugged into any of the 3 USB ports of my PC. I have read that a recent update of Windows 10 has a flaw that affects some GPSs like mine, and that Microsoft has afterwards released a fix.

If any of you knows where I can download such fix, I would be most grateful for the information. Thanks,

Camillo Bozzolo, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - USB recognizes some things, but not my Garmin. Wife's identical computer does. Why

Both ASUS laptops were upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. Both are same model. Hers recognizes Garmin GPS on the USB while mine does not. Mine will not register new version (2016) of Quicken Deluxe. Downloaded OK, but registration screen will not function.
    I cannot "refresh" this version - build 10240. Office 2013 works fine as does Firefox. All thumb drives are recognized, but not the GPSs.

I cannot generate a "restore point" or a "backup" file either. Ready to tear out my last hair.

What does anyone think is causing this?

David Bunsey, Aug 16, 2016
  4. USB ports not recognizing drives, thumbrives or GPSs (Garmin)

I own a Garmin Oregon 650 GPS unit. One thing I've noticed about Windows 10 (on three PCs, one that came with Windows 10, one that I upgraded from Windows 7 and one that I upgraded from Windows 8.1) is that the new OS seems to be more sensitive to the quality of the USB signal (and thus the quality of the USB cable).

Whereas with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 I could use pretty much any USB cable to connect the GPS unit, that wasn't the case with Windows 10. The older PCs I upgraded to Windows 10 simply refused to recognize the Garmin when I plugged it in using a generic cable; with the new PC that came with Windows 10, sometimes the connection worked but most of the time it didn't.

I had a USB cable I'd purchased directly from Garmin lying around, and tried that cable instead. That Garmin-certified cable worked with all three PCs, every time.

This might not be the issue you're dealing with, but I would recommend that you try a different USB cable, preferably a "genuine" Garmin cable. Couldn't hurt to try!

--Larry

larryc43230, Aug 16, 2016
  5. pricejh61 Win User
    Thanks for the pointers. I finally got the Dezl 760 to be recognized. Had to use the Garmin cable pluged into the bottom port, not the port on the back of the unit. At least everything is working again. Yeh, quality cables help, I suppose. It's still FM to me.

Thanks,
    John

pricejh61, Aug 17, 2016
  6. JohnM72 Win User
    I have a Surface Book and ran into the same issue with my Garmin. When I talked with local techs they told me that the USB ports on the Book use a lower voltage vrs laptops and sometimes the system will not recognize the USB connection. I had also purchased Optical Drive and it would not work. I purchased a 7 port powered hub and now everything works well when plugged into the hub. Just a thought you may not have the same issues.
    John

JohnM72, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB ports not recognizing drives, thumbrives or GPSs (Garmin)

1. USB ports not recognizing drives, thumbrives or GPSs (Garmin) - Similar Threads - USB ports recognizing

2. USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED: Can any help to solve this problem related to USB port. Previously the USB cable that I connected to my laptop with my phone it was working fine . But now it is not detecting that USB, it shows yellow colour reclamation in device manager with message unknown USB detection...
  3. USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED: Can any help to solve this problem related to USB port. Previously the USB cable that I connected to my laptop with my phone it was working fine . But now it is not detecting that USB, it shows yellow colour reclamation in device manager with message unknown USB detection...
  4. usb port will not reconize garmin gps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb port will not reconize garmin gps: usb port will not reconize garmin gps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-port-will-not-reconize-garmin-gps/93e092e6-2324-40d1-a337-06e5a54dbe81
  5. usb port will not reconize garmin gps

usb port will not reconize garmin gps: usb port will not reconize garmin gps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-port-will-not-reconize-garmin-gps/93e092e6-2324-40d1-a337-06e5a54dbe81
  6. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  7. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  8. USB Port not recognizing USB Mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Port not recognizing USB Mouse: Hello, I have a Lenovo Ideapad500 14ISK running windows 10. From a few days my usb ports are not recognizing my usb mouse and does not even detect my usb fflash drive. If I plug in my phone it is just charging the phone from usb but there is no detection of any kind. I...
  9. Garmin USB device not recognized - Windows 10

Garmin USB device not recognized - Windows 10: windows cannot find garmin connection via usb port ***Modified title from: windows 10 updates installed for garmin*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/garmin-usb-device-not-recognized-windows-10/c645b81d-89c3-491c-96cc-2aec98c23409
  10. Not detected by USB port - Garmin

Not detected by USB port - Garmin: Hello I have a Garmin Forerunner 210 which has been driving me insane. It used to work fine and sync perfectly in the start, however it doesnt anymore. I am using the Garmin Express program to sync as it is supposted to. However, it cannot detect/add my device. Nor...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb drive will not recognize my garmin gps unit

2. what are the two flash drive names that will not work with garmin

3. lenovo wont recognize garmin

4. windows 10 usb port wont regnize garmin device