Windows 10: USB Ports on Front of Computer Malfunctioning/Crosslinked

Discus and support USB Ports on Front of Computer Malfunctioning/Crosslinked in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 1703. I've attached all my system information, which I gathered due to a recent BSOD problem I was having. That seems to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ScottV89, Feb 6, 2018.

1. ScottV89 Win User

USB Ports on Front of Computer Malfunctioning/Crosslinked

I'm running Windows 10 1703. I've attached all my system information, which I gathered due to a recent BSOD problem I was having. That seems to have been resolved - issue between Nvidia drivers and Firefox Quantum.

However, I've been having another problem for a few months now which has just become much worse. I have 4 USB ports on the front of my computer. Two ports are standard, and two ports are USB 3.0. The problem started with the standard ports. I would plug my Plantronics headset into either of those two standard ports for use with Voice Attack or Mumble. One day, as I was disconnecting the headset, I got the message "USB Device Unrecognized" (screenshot attached). If I tried to plug the headset back in to the top, nothing would happen (mute light would be lit on the headset, but couldn't be turned off). If I plugged it into the bottom, it usually didn't work either (but is now for the first time).

Whether the headset was plugged in or not, removing the device from the USB list and scanning for hardware changes would just give the error again. If I plug a USB flash drive into the top port,, nothing happens. If I plug it into the bottom port, it shows up twice with two separate drive letters. In effect, it's like the top USB port is now connected to the bottom port.

As of tonight, the problem is also happening on the USB 3.0 ports as well. Exact same problem - top port doesn't appear to work, bottom port displays two drives. I think the problem was triggered on the 3.0 side last night, as I unplugged the headset before turning off the computer. It immediately flashed up the error (same screen shot), but I didn't think anything of it. Tonight, I now have the issue on both sides.

I honestly have no idea how to fix this problem or even what to google for a solution. I've never seen anything like this, where ports appear to be crosslinked.

I've tried uninstalling the device with the error and scanning for hardware changes, to no avail. If I disable the the device, then the ports don't work.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

:)

ScottV89, Feb 6, 2018

2. Windows 10 usb 2.0 support

Hi there,

Hi,

I recently upgraded to windows 10 en i have some trouble with the USB-port on the back of my desktop computer.

I have 2 usb 2.0 on the front + a card reader and 6 usb 2.0 ports on the back.

I use Cubase Elements (audio recording) on this machine running fine under windows 7 64 bit.

But after a while the Cubase report audio drop outs.

I discovered the i might be the usb-ports. (malfunction or driver).

In bios the USB ports on the back are recognised.

But after installing windows 10 the usb ports on the back work not stabil.

I updated my drivers, throw away the usb in device manager etc.. etc...

My question:

- could it still be a hardware problem (my USB port die) ?

- or has windows 10 a limit, say max count of usb 2.0 port ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Greetings

Vincent from Holland

VincentPes, Feb 6, 2018
  3. omnia 7 connection

Make sure you plug the USB cable into a port on the computer that is in the back of the computer. USB ports that are closer to the front are USB hubs and the connection won't work or be reliable if you attempt to use a USB hub (internal or external).

Julie fka profjulie, Feb 6, 2018
  4. USB Ports on Front of Computer Malfunctioning/Crosslinked

Run USB Device Tree Viewer , save a full report, and attach it to this thread so we can see the entire USB tree.

But it sure sounds like there's some physical problem with the ports. I assume that the ports at the back of the machine are fine?

PolarNettles, Feb 6, 2018
  5. ScottV89 Win User
    Yes, the back ports are fine.

The front USB 3.0 ports were fine for at least 2-3 months after the problem started with the front USB (standard) ports.

Requested port attached.

ScottV89, Feb 6, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    1) Please run this version of the log collector and post the zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

2) Upgrade the system specs in the "My Computer" section:

System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, USB drives for wireless mouse, keyboard, network, etc.)

zbook, Feb 6, 2018
  7. Was the flash drive plugged in? I don't see any entries for storage devices.

I don't know what case you have but are you able to access the back of the USB ports? I would check to make sure there's nothing loose or corroded in the ports themselves or the PCB they're mounted on.

Code: ========================= USB Root Hub ========================= Child Device 1 : USB Composite Device (Razer Naga) Device ID : USB\VID_1532&PID_0040\5&C1BD4D0&1&1 Class : USB Child Device 2 : USB Composite Device (Razer BlackWidow Ultimate) Device ID : USB\VID_1532&PID_011A\5&C1BD4D0&1&2 Class : USB Child Device 3 : American Power Conversion USB UPS Device ID : USB\VID_051D&PID_0002\3B1137X21542__ Class : HIDClass Child Device 4 : USB Composite Device (Plantronics Headset) Device ID : USB\VID_047F&PID_0CA1\00500-0429034410003-V060000A Class : USB Child Device 5 : Xbox 360 Controller for Windows Device ID : USB\VID_045E&PID_028E\16B2871 Class : XnaComposite Child Device 6 : Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) Device ID : USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&C1BD4D0&1&3 Class : USB Problem : 43 (CM_PROB_FAILED_POST_START)[/quote]

PolarNettles, Feb 6, 2018
  8. Steve C Win User

Check the leads for security between the USB ports and motherboard. Next try deleting the USB Controllers in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows reinstall the controllers. Also check your USB settings in the BIOS are at their default settings.

Steve C, Feb 6, 2018
  9. ScottV89 Win User
    Ok, several people to respond to and I wasn't able to get everything done yet.

First, I've updated my system specs as requested.

Second, I've redone the UsbTreeView_report 2.txt the USB Tree report. I have a standard USB drive plugged into the bottom USB port (showing up as F:\ G:\) and 3.0 Flashdrive (Mushkin) plugged into the bottom USB 3.0 port. Apparently, it will only duplicate the first drive plugged in now, instead of duplicating both sides. Top ports on each side are unusable (that started with 3.0 side yesterday, standard side a couple of months ago).

When I only had one drive plugged in, and on the 3.0 side, it was USB port 4 in the tree report. Now they are 11 and 20. Port 3 is always shown as having the unknown device.

I haven't run the beta log collector yet as it didn't come with instructions on how to run it. I'll look that up elsewhere on the site.

Again, the four back ports are fine and completely occupied - 2 used by keyboard (one for itself, one for passthrough for Naga mouse), 1 by Xbox 360 controller, and 1 by the UPS. The problem seems to only be with the front ports - first the two standard, and now the the two 3.0 ports. Only connecting "trigger" between both sides going wonky is the Plantronics headset - PLANTRONICS GAMECOMPRO1 USB Connector Circumaural Gaming Stereo Headset (2006) - that I plug in when I need to use Voice Attack or Mumble.

ScottV89, Feb 6, 2018
  10. ScottV89 Win User
    And here is the information from the beta08 log collector.

ScottV89, Feb 6, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    For all tests /steps please post images into the thread.
    If there are any problems posting images please use one drive or drop box share links.

Yesterday, 2018-02-06T20:20:02.166 there was an unexpected reboot:
    Code: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.[/quote] Was there a deliberate power off, crash or unknown event yesterday?

1) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan
    5) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    6) Open device manger > click view > show hidden devices > expand all rows > look for any row displaying an icon that is a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark > post an image into the thread
    7) For any unknown device > right click >left click properties > left click details tab > Under property change to Hardware Ids > post an image into the thread
    8) Under hardware Ids displayed for the unknown device > highlight the last one > copy and paste into the thread
    9) In the left lower corner search type system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings > under startup and recovery click settings > post an image into the thread
    10) Turn off Windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    11) open file explorer > this PC > C: > in the right upper corner search for each of these files and post links into the thread:
    USBHUB3
    USBHUB3-20180205-2148.dmp
    USBHUB3-20180206-2020.dmp
    USBHUB3-20180206-2021.dmp
    USBHUB3-20180206-2048.dmp
    USBHUB3-20180206-2055.dmp
    12) The operating system is 1703. Was there failure to upgrade? What are the upgrade plans?

Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)

Code: Event[823]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot Date: 2018-01-22T08:58:57.915 Event ID: 29 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Aurora Description: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.[/quote] Code: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&C1BD4D0&1&3 This device is working properly.[/quote] Code: 1/2/2018 4:54 PM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: PnPDriverNotFound Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: x64 P2: USB\VID_0955&PID_9000 P3: P4: P5: P6: P7: P8: P9: P10: Attached files: These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_x64_a674207fe6d7a546545485868e4ea5b6e6fe339c_00000000_17f4e202 Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: 9f98d89c-f7b7-47d9-8f12-cb3dda1a149b Report Status: 4100 Hashed bucket:1/31/2018 2:53 AM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: PnPDriverNotFound Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: x64 P2: USB\VID_0955&PID_9000 P3: P4: P5: P6: P7: P8: P9: P10: Attached files: These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_x64_a674207fe6d7a546545485868e4ea5b6e6fe339c_00000000_2e1d2d69 Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: 143f40cd-0b0c-4890-a9a8-ac00ffbb8352 Report Status: 4100 Hashed bucket:10/9/2017 1:40 PM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: PnPDriverNotFound Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: x64 P2: USB\VID_0955&PID_9000 P3: P4: P5: P6: P7: P8: P9: P10: Attached files: \\?\C:\Users\Glados89\AppData\Local\Temp\DMI8952.tmp.log.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9EBF.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9ECF.tmp.txt These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_x64_a674207fe6d7a546545485868e4ea5b6e6fe339c_00000000_cab_3732b42b Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: 43edda16-dbe9-400f-a746-319d0350230e Report Status: 4 Hashed bucket:[/quote]

zbook, Feb 6, 2018
  12. ScottV89 Win User
    It was a deliberate power off. I tried to uninstall all the USB hubs, and have it reinstall them. That worked, however, it needed me to click on Restart... which I couldn't because the keyboard and mouse were offline. So I had to hold the power button in to shutdown. It wasn't a crash.

If I try that again, I'll need to bring a laptop home from work so I can remote desktop into my computer and get around that issue.

ScottV89, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Ports on Front of Computer Malfunctioning/Crosslinked - Similar Threads - USB Ports Front

2. Front USB Ports Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Front USB Ports Not Working: Hello,The other day I was playing a game and was lagging a little more than usual, out of frustration I usually hit my lap but I slammed the top of my Desktop and instantly my keyboard, mouse and headphones stopped working, I can't remember if they stopped working entirely or...
  3. Front USB Ports Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Front USB Ports Not Working: Hello,The other day I was playing a game and was lagging a little more than usual, out of frustration I usually hit my lap but I slammed the top of my Desktop and instantly my keyboard, mouse and headphones stopped working, I can't remember if they stopped working entirely or...
  4. Front USB Ports Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Front USB 2.0 port disconnects!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Front USB 2.0 port disconnects!!: I have a USB 3.0 and a 2.0 ports on the front of my case... When I connect my USB 3.0 enclosure with a Seagate HDD in it to the USB 3.0 port everything works well... But, when I connect it to my USB 2.0 port, it crashes after sometime and I cant eject it...I also get a...
  6. Two front USB ports are not working

Two front USB ports are not working: My front 2 USB ports are not working or recognizing when a device is plugged in, the back ports work fine. The USB devices that I've tried have a light that lights up when they're connected - that won't even light up when it's plugged into the front ports. My computer is an...
  7. Front Usb Ports

Front Usb Ports: Hello, after my new computer setup, my front usb ports not working. One Usb 3.0 port only charging phone, but nothing else, can't move data, on other usb 3.0 port, like ant the first one even keyboard not working, but when I plug Usb, it says that device not recognized, on...
  8. Usb port malfunction

Usb port malfunction: I can't get one if my ports to work. I have a lenovo all-in-one desktop. The back ports work fine. When I plug a usb into the bottom side port it works. As soon as I plug in something to the top side usb port, the bottom one quits as well as the top one not working. I have...
  9. USB port "malfunction"

USB port "malfunction": I have an HP 15-bs060; my USB port won't recognize anything I plug in. It always says the last device I plugged in "malfuctioned and Windows doesnt recognize this device." I'm trying to upload pics off my phone to clear up space, tried my back-up laptop too and get same...
  10. Front USB ports don't work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Front USB ports don't work.: Hi, I have a problem with my frontal USB ports and mic and audio port. I have two USB ports there and only one works, also my audio and mic ports in the front dont work and when they are enabled in my PC settings, the once in back won't work either. Any suggestions what...